Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
9
Contributing sucks ass. But until I get my hands on Cola, developing is kinda boring as it is, so why not make a guide?

Requirements:
(Theres probably an easier way to do it than the way I do, but **** it, this is my guide afterall)

  1. Weapon already in game with elements (BSword in this guide)
  2. Blender
  3. C4D
  4. 2nd Generation O3D Converter (The one with animations and etc)
  5. IQ of at least 100

Step One​

You should already have your weapon finished and polished if you're reading this guide. Export it to wavefront somewhere.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Step Two​

Convert that pre-elemented model to obj.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Step Three​

Open in blender.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Select the sword (right click), and on the group menu, select the mesh (the drop down box, on most Aeonsoft[lab] the mesh is named... Mesh).

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Hit X (delete), and click ok on the popup.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Now select (right click) the left over object, and go to File --> Export --> Wavefront (.obj)

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Export with these settings. (And don't close blender just yet)

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


What we did here was extract the Element group from the Bloody Sword, and set it aside for future projects so we don't have to extract it each time we make a new model.
 
Step Three​

Now we're going to import our sword.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Select (you should know from this point on) the Element object, and hit TAB. (The outline of the object should turn yellow, and you should be able to see the verts)

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Now select the general area near one of those verts (it'll be obvious when you select it).

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


HOLDING the right mouse button, drag the cursor to move the verts around. To release the vert, just left click. Put everything where you feel it'll belong.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Don't forget we're working in 3 dimensions.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


When you're done with that, just hit TAB again, and you'll be out of editing mode. Now select your weapon, and then press A twice. (This deselects, and then selects everything in the scene)

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Export with these settings.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums
.
 
Step Four​

Probably the easiest step, open up C4D, and open our newly created .obj

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Rename (double click the name) your weapon mesh to... Mesh (you might not have to, I just do it cause I'm weird like
Select the materials (gray balls [lol]) and hit DEL to get rid of them.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Export that little f***er.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Step Five​

Start up the O3D Converter, and open your model.

If your model ends up like this, you're f***ed. (I don't even like adding elements to keyblades, so I'm switching over to my chakrams which I added elements to earlier for the sake of the guide.)

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


If you see red lines AND your model, its all good.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums


Load a DDS, and save your (now elemented) model!that)

 
This just makes me want to get Blender, the way I did it was a bit more time consuming and annoying. Hopefully this can help out a lot of beginner 3D developers that have an IQ of 100 or more at least. /sweat
 
Nice guide but I'm unable to do it, as my computer won't run C4D. I ish a newb to blender, so I take the longer road and use misfit modeler 3d. Can't remember but I think I can do it with it just with a copy and paste from one model to my own. I'll have to try it since I haven't yet.
 
i dont need to import a pre existing model, if u use cinema 4d its WAY easir, u just need 30 sec to make a glow element.

i know people import pre models so they can add that glow to their custom weapons, but nop, there are better ways of getting them :3
 
i dont need to import a pre existing model, if u use cinema 4d its WAY easir, u just need 30 sec to make a glow element.

i know people import pre models so they can add that glow to their custom weapons, but nop, there are better ways of getting them :3

Creating a object group in the program I use is awkward. Besides, I never have to make another one again.
 
Really nice guide! alltho, u dont need all that shizzle xD there is an alot easier way...

once you make your .obj... convert it to .o3d... convert it back to .obj, open cinema4D take in the .obj... you now already have a element with 3 points, that means you can add 2 more...
have fun xD
 
I hate to necro this thread, but here's a good question. I've extended the Petal Sword to be longer and the element model along with it, but it's not converting like it should out of C4D. If I import it into the o3d converter (190509-bundled), the weapon shows, but the element object is not there. What could be wrong? @@

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
 
I hate to necro this thread, but here's a good question. I've extended the Petal Sword to be longer and the element model along with it, but it's not converting like it should out of C4D. If I import it into the o3d converter (190509-bundled), the weapon shows, but the element object is not there. What could be wrong? @@

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you using the latest .o3d converter? Check sticky post.

Else check if the element object has been named, if it is rename it to Mesh.
 
Tenks, will check into it right now! :3

EDIT:
Have been using the latest version (gui version) and I renamed the Element object to Mesh and now not even the weapon is loading up. Geesh. ><
 
Last edited:
Tenks, will check into it right now! :3

EDIT:
Have been using the latest version (gui version) and I renamed the Element object to Mesh and now not even the weapon is loading up. Geesh. ><

i think the element in petal is inside the wep.. try to zoom in..
if you made from o3d to obj -> Cinema4D then you need 5 points to the element.. i am 60% sure that it is only 3 points ( 0/1/2 )

when ur done then export the obj and look it into gui again :p
 
Yeah, it is 3 points. Okay, I'll try it out and let you know the results. Tenks for your help guys. :]

EDIT:
Sadly, didn't work. Keeps messing up the model when I import. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Ah well, it's no big deal. Thanks for your help anyway guys.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back