Welcome!

Join our community of MMORPG enthusiasts and private server developers! By registering, you'll gain access to in-depth discussions on source codes, binaries, and the latest developments in MMORPG server files. Collaborate with like-minded individuals, explore tutorials, and share insights on building and optimizing private servers. Join us today and unlock the full potential of MMORPG server development!

Join Today!

AMD Dual-Core Processors Scratching $100 Mark

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This week marks the 25th week since we began looking at processor pricing back in October. We've seen an unprecedented erosion of CPU pricing over this time frame and there

Shame that the AM2 prices are less then the s939 prices. I would like to upgrade my wifes CPU to an FX-60 but the price is hovering at around $400 usd while you have faster AM2 prices for lower.

Meh... It'll be cheaper to just switch her to a C2D if I had to buy a new board and memory.

It's though this really does mean that budget PC users will get some great CPU power for little money.

NOPeace - out

Yep, most definatly.. the AMD prices for dual core are most interesting, its actually takign over the low budget PC's, which is the majority for the most part.. mainstream and power users are even taking advantage of these low prices to pay very little money on a chip much better then their own. If prices keep this up, I may jsut go ahead adn stick with AMD and get a new dual core before too long, depends on the next chipset they make though, it had better be good ;)

Yep, most definatly.. the AMD prices for dual core are most interesting, its actually takign over the low budget PC's, which is the majority for the most part.. mainstream and power users are even taking advantage of these low prices to pay very little money on a chip much better then their own. If prices keep this up, I may jsut go ahead adn stick with AMD and get a new dual core before too long, depends on the next chipset they make though, it had better be good ;)

What you mean by chipset? You mean the K10s or the actually ATI chipset thats in development for the K10s? =P

Also keep a watch on Intel. They are planning on dropping prices in the end of April also. And next fall when the K10s comes out you'll have the locked version of the QX6700 in the $500 price range and the Q6600 at $300.

Then what to do? Get a Dual Core AMD for $200 or spend $100 more for a chip that is just as fast and have 2 extra cores? =P

Looks like its time to upgrade for me step up from my athlon 64 4000+ to a x2

Depends if you have AM2 or s939. AM2 it would just be better to get a good motherboard and a cheap Intel and overclock.

Though if you have s939 you can get a 4800+ for about $300. Which would be a better deal then having to buy a new motherboard, RAM, and a CPU.

NoPeace - out

yep, for the means of quality i always purchase for myself, Im lookign at around $1200 alone jsut for a motherboard, chip, and ram.. all good name brands with warranties.. Definatly a jump to make

yep, for the means of quality i always purchase for myself, Im lookign at around $1200 alone jsut for a motherboard, chip, and ram.. all good name brands with warranties.. Definatly a jump to make

What all are you looking at?

A good 680i board is going to cost $230-250 and then RAM is a killer. 2gb of decent latency DDR2-800 RAM costs about $210-280. Then add in a e6700 and you'll be about $1k. =P

Planning on getting 4gb of RAM I take it? =P

Hopefully the damn 680i boards will get cheaper. You can get the RD600 board for $200 (33% price drop) now and it's been out for less time then the 680i's. Just as good of a chipset but is the CF counterpart to SLI.

And RAM is just getting stupid. I bought some Curcial Ballistix for $200 and now it's $280. -.- (4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz 2.2v in EPP mode)

At least damn CPU's are dropping in price. No longer is the QX6700 $1500. It's now $950. Still a lot of money but you'll be set with the unlockable multiplier. You'll see the QX6800 come out with the same exact chip and you can just up the multiplier to 11x. And it's a free upgrade :icon6:

Though AMD chips have been dropping like flies in the price department. Compared to only the damn Intel EE CPU's getting small price drops ($1k to $950 and $1500 to $950). While all of the AMD CPU's have been dropping in price except for the Quad FX chips, but then again who does use them when there is only one crap motherboard for it and it costs $400 which makes the total cost for the system more then the Intel and performs less.

Soon Intel will drop it's prices and it's just going to hurt AMD a lot. They can't afford to drop any more or their profits will be next to nothing. Intel on the other hand can drop all they want and still have money to spare.

NoPeace - out

Yep, going with 4 gigs again.. And its damned expensive.. I saw the OCZ stuff I was planning on getting is going up and up and up in prices, last year it was sitting around like 230, now its just about 400... stupid.. just stupid!

But hell, I got time to wait, and when them new chips come out, i might as well put my $2000 into those and build a hell of a kickass system that will last me another 5+ years

EDIT: I woudl love to gimmick around and get 2 sets of these: Corsair Dominator Series TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF 2GB Kit DDR2-1111 PC2-8888 Memory Retail at ZipZoomfly

Damned impressive timings for a 1 gig stick, and the fan you can slap on them look neat as well :-)

Yep, going with 4 gigs again.. And its damned expensive.. I saw the OCZ stuff I was planning on getting is going up and up and up in prices, last year it was sitting around like 230, now its just about 400... stupid.. just stupid!

Yeah it is and it's just going to get worse. -.-

DDR1 is so overpriced also. 400mhz DDR1 costs the same as 800mhz DDR2. O.O

Tough Cosair hasn't had a bad price jump. You can get some 2x1gb XMS 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 for $210 and get the Dominator version at $250.

I would like to get some of those Dominators but don't know if it'll fit with the RAM I already have. Those things are huge. :icon6:

But hell, I got time to wait, and when them new chips come out, i might as well put my $2000 into those and build a hell of a kickass system that will last me another 5+ years

I wouldn't if I was you. New chips = DDR3 = even higher prices. =P

Watch DDR3 800mhz go for double that of DDR2. :icon6:

EDIT: I woudl love to gimmick around and get 2 sets of these: Corsair Dominator Series TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF 2GB Kit DDR2-1111 PC2-8888 Memory Retail at ZipZoomfly

Damned impressive timings for a 1 gig stick, and the fan you can slap on them look neat as well :-)

They do the same timings as my 800mhz do but at 1111mhz. :drools:

Though at nearly $700 a 8800GTX would be better in my opinion or a 19x12 monitor. =P

The OCZ water cooled ones looks cooler tbh. Come on having 1/2" tubing sticking out of your RAM screams leetness. =P

NoPeace - out

Back