Welcome!

Join our community of MMORPG enthusiasts and private server developers! By registering, you'll gain access to in-depth discussions on source codes, binaries, and the latest developments in MMORPG server files. Collaborate with like-minded individuals, explore tutorials, and share insights on building and optimizing private servers. Join us today and unlock the full potential of MMORPG server development!

Join Today!

Ati 4850

Reaction score
As i stated in my thread in Post-A-Holics, I've finally fixed my motherboard. It's my birthday in just under 2 weeks so i decided to add a few more upgrades to my PC. Will be getting an E8500 to replace my E6600 (which is going into a 4th PC along with my previous motherboard) and a new GFX card to replace my 8800GT.

Was going to get a 9800GTX but thought if instead getting a dual 4850 setup. I very much suck at working out energy consumptions ect, so i just want to know if anyone here knows how much power that would require. I have a 620W cooler Master Real Power PSU atm (with 2 PCI-e connectors), so i hope that is good enough - i just paid $205 for this 3 months ago.

So it requires only 550W then i presume for 2 of them? Just wanted to be sure. Also would you mind looking up for me the requirements for 2 4870's? Cos they are actually only about $20 each more than the 4850's.

I assume you are getting this from their website, but it is for some reason loading EXTREMELY slow for me...

i dont now about 4850 but the 4870 requires 2x pcie power leads, so you may need 4 of those for a dual 4850 setup, might be worth checking out some of the benchmarking setups for crossfire systems

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4850-and--4870-crossfirex-performance/3 there ya go, actual usage should be around 421 watt for dual 4850 but they do use a 1000w psu

edit:
it seems 4850 only has one power slot, so you should be alright with 2 leads

I am actually re-considering this...

1. my case is too small and although it has great cooling it already runs hot with alot of stuff in the case, so i do not think 2 cards is wise
2. my PC is on about 18/7 and the ATI's use alot of power especially while idle.
3. I use a 19" LCD and do not plan to upgrade anytime within the next 1 or 2 years.
4. just bought my PSU and love it, it's only 620W so 2x 4870's is out of the question.

Now i am currently using an 8800GT, is it really worth me upgrading or not? I am tossing up between either the 4870 or the GTX260. So i'm willing to pay around $400 AUD, if it's not worth upgrading i will just stick with the 8800GT for now and upgrade my E6600 to an E8500 and my 2Gb TWINX PC6400 5-5-5-12 to 4GB TWINX PC6400 4-4-4-12.

Help me decide -.-

FYI, the most GFX intensive games i play are things like... well nothing really, i would play Crysis but never tried cos i just assumed my 8800GT would die if it tried. Would love to play Bioshock and London Hellgate with DX10 on vista once i get my 4GB of ram.

4870 is a big card i'll admit, but your 8800 still has some life in it yet, i'd leave it a while and see what happens if you're not gonna be playing many games it'd be a bad idea to spend all that money imo, although i have been having fun just going through all my games and changing everything to high :P

4870 is a big card i'll admit, but your 8800 still has some life in it yet, i'd leave it a while and see what happens if you're not gonna be playing many games it'd be a bad idea to spend all that money imo, although i have been having fun just going through all my games and changing everything to high :P

That's what i thought, then i started FPS lagging in London Hellgate today... All settings are on high, its on 1280x1024, and AA is turned off but it still lags... and London Hellgate aint even a GFX intensive game compared to others :S

Back