Bastion modifications?

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
68
Reaction score
16
Ok, so i just bought Bastion a computer pc game and it was fun. I finished the game with emotional happiness.

So I was wondering. There are no mod tools for this game, nor any user development. I kinda wanted to know how was these map designs created, and how I can create my own map in the game, but i don't know how it works. All i know is that the game is written in c#
 
Terraria 'mods' were originally done by unobfuscating(i.e. decrypting) the source out of the main executable, changing it slightly[i.e. the mod], and recompiling it. Although this is looked down upon sometimes(modifying someone else's source code), the Terraria developers were perfectly okay with it.
This only works when the application is not obfuscated(i.e. encrypted).
 
Terraria 'mods' were originally done by unobfuscating(i.e. decrypting) the source out of the main executable, changing it slightly[i.e. the mod], and recompiling it. Although this is looked down upon sometimes(modifying someone else's source code), the Terraria developers were perfectly okay with it.
This only works when the application is not obfuscated(i.e. encrypted).

I think you're greatly confusing obfuscation with encryption and compilation. Obfuscation is the act of rewriting member names and methods to make the code harder to understand. It doesn't prevent you from using the code. Look at all the people that make Minecraft mods using the obfuscated code.
Also, when you get source from a .Net executable, you're not "deobfuscating" or "decrypting" it. It's simply decompiling from MSIL (that's what .Net code gets "compiled" to) to a .Net language, usually C# or VB.Net. .Net Reflector can be used to achieve this very easily.
 
I think you're greatly confusing obfuscation with encryption and compilation. Obfuscation is the act of rewriting member names and methods to make the code harder to understand. It doesn't prevent you from using the code. Look at all the people that make Minecraft mods using the obfuscated code.
Also, when you get source from a .Net executable, you're not "deobfuscating" or "decrypting" it. It's simply decompiling from MSIL (that's what .Net code gets "compiled" to) to a .Net language, usually C# or VB.Net. .Net Reflector can be used to achieve this very easily.

You are correct, I have never completely understood the difference between, say, encrypting an application versus obfuscating a .NET application, so thank you for clarifying that for me.
In terms of deobfuscating the source - it is not required, but can be done, usually somewhat easily, and can make life easier.
And my reference to compilation was simply stating that once the modification was made to the source code, it would have to be recompiled to be usable/distributable to the desired audience.
 
Back