• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Building a computer on low budget

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm going to build a new computer soon because I currently have old Pentium 4 with integrated GPU and only 2 GB of RAM.

I don't need a huge powerhouse and I'd love to get good cost-performance ratio. Good news is that I got an old Nvidia GeForce 9600GT which is enough for my GPU needs (CUDA and decent performance) so I save a bit there.

My budget is about 400-500 EUR ( - USD).

The biggest problem is that I have no idea about hardware nowadays and seems like the numbers on products don't necessarily tell much about performance. How would I find hardware with good cost-performance ratio and what would you suggest?

Last edited:
A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What is your main purpose for building a new CPU? Needing it for browsing/wordprocessing, light gaming, heavy gaming - are you looking to upgrade into a computer that can play the latest games? Its all -very- possible with ~$700 U.S. worth of parts, you can buil a 500 budget computer including a graphics card that will even play the latest games.

Let us know what your immediate needs are, and we can help build a computer around that!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The main reason for new computer is to increase performance and get access to newer technologies.

I'm using it for development. No huge needs from GPU side as I'm not too interested in playing the newest games and I can always turn the settings lower. Most of my gaming is related to server emulator development so perfectly smooth gameplay isn't the biggest priority.

I'll be running virtual machines, compiling programs and using ramdisk so more RAM is always welcome. I'm interested in parallel and concurrent programming so multi-core processor and CUDA/OpenCL compatible GPU would be nice to have.

Linux compatibility is required.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I bought a pc 2 years ago for 500 usd at Best Buy for some development work. It came with a quad phenom processor (1.8 x4), 4gb Ram, 500gb hdd and a built in ATI gpu. Building on a budget nowadays is very easy.

you should have no problem getting what you need for that amount. good luck

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The main reason for new computer is to increase performance and get access to newer technologies.

I'm using it for development. No huge needs from GPU side as I'm not too interested in playing the newest games and I can always turn the settings lower. Most of my gaming is related to server emulator development so perfectly smooth gameplay isn't the biggest priority.

I'll be running virtual machines, compiling programs and using ramdisk so more RAM is always welcome. I'm interested in parallel and concurrent programming so multi-core processor and CUDA/OpenCL compatible GPU would be nice to have.

Linux compatibility is required.

Here are some of my tips

*For the processor i am suggesting atleast AMD Athlon II x4 640 - AMD Phenom II x6 due to its 4physical cores, which you really need. Now if you prefer Intel obtaining an i7 920 is definitely the best choice for it's multi-threading technology.
*For the ram i suggest you load lots of ram 4gb will be the minimum. Try having atleast 4 or 8gb ddr3 1333
*Motherboard will be based on the product availability in your country so get a board that will be compatible for AM3 and DDR3. Now again if your preference is Intel just find a board that will complement with your processor
*The Hard-disk would be according to your preference
*Get a good power supply maybe around 500-600
*CUDA/OpenCL means that your choice would be NVIDIA, just visit nvidia's website or a videocard manufacturer(ASUS, MSI, etc.) and check their prices online and obtain the best that would fit in your system and budget

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have a plan now which I'll probably modify a bit. Can someone check these and tell me if there are any incompatibilities.

"Shopping cart" link to a Finnish IT shop .

RAM
2x Kingston HyperX Genesis KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 XMP
109,80 € (2x 54,90 €)

CASE
Cooler Master Elite 334 ATX
40,90 €

MOBO
Asus M4A77T AMD Socket AM3 ATX mobo (Socket AM3)
51,90 €

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3.0 Gb/s 3.5"
58,90 €

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3 GHz (Socket AM3)
179,90 €

PSU
Fortron Saga II 500W 80 PLUS ATX

TOTAL
490,30 €

Depending on how much I feel like spending, I might cut 90 € from CPU, 50 € from RAM and 20 € from HDD.
Making the total price go down to 330 €.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I actually have a bit better of a build then that.. give me just one moment while I paste it on here and edit it to the forum a bit

Take your time. :) That's just an initial plan.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Mind you, this is a full build minus peripheral devices, if you have parts you can put in.. by all means do so! But, if I had the money, this is what I would build for myself if I had the need for it!

Performance/Cost ratio - this is the best you will find. DONT take the suggestion the guy above me posted about the i7 processor, that single processor alone will eat the entire budget and you wouldn't be able to afford a motherboard and ram along with it. Much less an entire system build.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$19.99

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Item #: N82E16811147153
-$10.00 Instant
$59.99
$49.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136770
-$5.00 Instant
$44.99
$39.99

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131767
$99.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1351-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814130663
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$119.99
$109.99

Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817153116
-$5.00 Instant
$99.99
$94.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Item #: N82E16820231455
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$69.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103849
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$169.99

Subtotal: $654.92
654.92 USD = 453.528 EUR

A few points to note: This is just using a budget 320gb Caviar WD drive, easily changeable by whatever you want.. whether its 500gb/1tb - whatever.

The Fermi GPU I noted is perfect for a coding platform, has very rigorous CUDA support, as well as support in the Linux environment (Always use Nvidia in Linux, from what I've dealt with.. MUCH better support!)

2x4gb set of ram for 8gb total, allows you to upgrade to 16gb down the road if you feel you need the extra oomph, or if your work pushes you further and you need a stable platform for running many large applications and coding environments. I can tell you that initially, you wont need more then 8gb, it is PLENTY for any windows based environment par hosting games.

650w PSU is plenty, at max draw (90%) this system will push about 340w, so no need to improve on the 650w - it is modular too, so helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

The computer case I selected there is just a budget case, rated as a top case by Toms Hardware - PLENTY of air flow for cooling, and runs quiet!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Seems like prices are higher here in Finland. For example that CPU is 169 €. :|

That case seems lovely but I can't seem to find it. I'll play around with this build.

Thanks for help. I might ask a question or few later. :)

Reaction score
You should be able to purchase most parts you have mentioned for $700. I just purchase my computers already made, set up and ready to go. Saves me allot of time, and as well, most of the time you will find they have good graphics cards.

Good luck in your quest to find them parts.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
It takes less time to unbox and put together an entire computer, then it takes to drive into town and hunt for a computer, purchase it, come home - and set it up ;)

Loyal Member
Reaction score
It really takes TOPS of an hour to do a computer, literally.. its plug and play - if you can put together an A/V system you can do this. Its impossible to do it wrong, just follow the instructions, maybe look up some youtube videos on how to do things. Many peopel make it seem liek its a daunting task.. indeed, 20 years ago, building a computer WAS a daunting task.. what with DIM switches and IRQ channels to deal with.

No reason to spend more money then you need to if you have the capability to do it yourself, with a proper custom system ;) The only time I will ever recommend a name brand computer is if someone is buying a laptop.

Reaction score
It really takes TOPS of an hour to do a computer, literally.. its plug and play - if you can put together an A/V system you can do this. Its impossible to do it wrong, just follow the instructions, maybe look up some youtube videos on how to do things. Many peopel make it seem liek its a daunting task.. indeed, 20 years ago, building a computer WAS a daunting task.. what with DIM switches and IRQ channels to deal with.

No reason to spend more money then you need to if you have the capability to do it yourself, with a proper custom system ;) The only time I will ever recommend a name brand computer is if someone is buying a laptop.

Lol. I might take your tips next time I consider buying a computer. (I'll make it myself next time, lol)

Loyal Member
Reaction score
We are here to help! I've been building computers since the old XT-86 series (Since you didn't really "build" a Commadore) and can generally help with any known computer hardware related issue. Just fir eup a message, and you are sure to have an answer sooner or later!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol. I might take your tips next time I consider buying a computer. (I'll make it myself next time, lol)

Building your own rig is as easy as peeing in the shower. The difficult part for most people tends to be the compatibility with ordering components. And also ordering the top performing component your machine can handle, for the right price. But when it all comes down to actually assembling the machine. Its like a very expensive set of lego's. Except these all have a spot they fit, and wont fit no wheres else. So the main rule is if it doesn't look like it fits? then it doesn't go there! :):

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Building your own rig is as easy as peeing in the shower. The difficult part for most people tends to be the compatibility with ordering components. And also ordering the top performing component your machine can handle, for the right price. But when it all comes down to actually assembling the machine. Its like a very expensive set of lego's. Except these all have a spot they fit, and wont fit no wheres else. So the main rule is if it doesn't look like it fits? then it doesn't go there! :):

I bet I could find a way to fit a RAM stick into a PCI slot.. mwahaha.. really mess with some newbs ;)

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Honestly the parts i am running right now was 400$ and i use it for gaming which i can play all of my games on high settings, if needed i will post unless you found out what you wanted that works too :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bet I could find a way to fit a RAM stick into a PCI slot.. mwahaha.. really mess with some newbs ;)

Nah, my DDR3 in my 184 pin slot works perfect. Two times the connectors for each pin means dual channel!!! :eek:tt1: :laugh: :eek:tt1:

Back