Canvas Size

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
9
When you guys make web templates what size do you make the canvas? It seems pretty stupid of me to ask, but I've made a lot of templates before using 1024x768 and have never had them coded or anything so I'm not really sure how they look outside of photoshop.
I'm working on one at the moment - non-game related and I made the dimensions 1600x1600, do you think that's way to big?
 
It's to big, plus the width should always be higher compared to the height.
If you do wanna stick to that size make it 1050x1680, that is an more standard and common size.
 
I make it depending on the web page , You will always have to increase it anyways , if you are going to add a lot of contents to it.

I usually start at 1500x1500 , but it might go up to 1500x2000 or so , also don't forget 72dpi , so the text look great too.

I find it so strange how different dpi is to different users. For example website makers, you just recommended 72dpi. As a photographer you would usually save anything as 300 dpi!
This is what I have about this section :)
 
I find it so strange how different dpi is to different users. For example website makers, you just recommended 72dpi. As a photographer you would usually save anything as 300 dpi!
This is what I have about this section :)

72dpi = Graphics such websites/launchers/avatars/etc...
300dpi = photographers/ printing works like flyers & outdoors
 
Tell me about it. I am learning SASS now , ... the future of css they say. It's pretty confusing though. And I used to make websites 300 dpi too , until someone told me its pointless , because 300dpi is for print sized images. 72 dpi is the ideal , and thus it renders text and shapes clear and crispy as it should.
 
Tell me about it. I am learning SASS now , ... the future of css they say. It's pretty confusing though. And I used to make websites 300 dpi too , until someone told me its pointless , because 300dpi is for print sized images. 72 dpi is the ideal , and thus it renders text and shapes clear and crispy as it should.
make a new document in photoshop, 1 with 72dpi and the other one with 300dpi

make some random lines for a website layout and add some default text on it (do this on both)
then you will see that the 72dpi is viewed with 100% zoom while the 300dpi will be viewed with a zoom of 33%~60%
 
make a new document in photoshop, 1 with 72dpi and the other one with 300dpi

make some random lines for a website layout and add some default text on it (do this on both)
then you will see that the 72dpi is viewed with 100% zoom while the 300dpi will be viewed with a zoom of 33%~60%

I know , that's why I switched to 72 dpi. I wanted to change one of my old sites to 72 dpi , and on 72 dpi , it was like I would zoom in
 
Okay so I'm going to set my width to about 1024-1200 and change that height accordingly.

Also 72dpi should be that standard for new documents o-o I've only used 300dpi a few times and that was to print things.

Thanks for all of your help ^_^
 
Back