Client Setup v62

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Sep 15, 2025
Messages
27
Reaction score
4
I'm trying to get a GMS v62 server for my mate who I used to play with but I can't even get the vanilla client to launch, it seems to be running in the background but doesn't show. I was getting a message from windows saying the program is old and might not work or something.

I feel like I'm missing something basic, tried installing the redistributables, dx9c, compatibility mode but no luck.

If someone can point me in the right direction for a client setup on windows 10 that would be awesome.
 
v62 client launches fine in win10, tested just now.

I don't know your experience with hosting a server but a few things could cause this:
Is your server running?
Are you using a localhost client or a launcher to run the game (something about "vanilla" makes me wonder)?

If any of the answer is no, then check the tutorial section to get you started.
Otherwise, the localhost I tested was Hendi's one and it worked until login on my test server.
 
Last edited:
v62 client launches fine in win10, tested just now.

Is your server running?
No server yet, I wanted to check if the client works first.

Are you using a localhost client or a launcher to run the game (something about "vanilla" makes me wonder)?
Just trying to launch a plain old mssetup install, I don't know if that's possible though?

If any of the answer is no, then check the tutorial section to get you started.
Otherwise, the localhost I tested was Hendi's one and it worked until login on my test server.
Thank you! I looked up Hendi and there's some good info there and resources there. I'm very new to this so just trying to figure out the lingo etc. Seems like a great community.
 
The client won't launch without a server and an edited client that will connect to your server's ip.

To get started, I'd highly suggest setting up a v83 server if you're not dead set on v62. The only reason I'm suggesting v83 is because it's the most popular, hence more people might be able to help you.

Cosmic is probably your best bet for the source with most features:
Follow the instructions in there, it will require you to know how to use your computer (or you'll learn in the process lol).

There's also How to Make a MapleStory v83 Private Server – Full Setup Tutorial with video (using the same server with just a few less updates) if that's more your vibe.
 
you can check without running actual server.
run this program and input 62.1 & press GMS button.
you can check the localhost client can be launched or not.

early themida packed client like around JMS164, probably GMS6X is same? (idk)
these old clients packed by themida do not support Windows10 or later. (it only works for Win7 or before because of themida's failure.)
if you load this DLL before original themida packed client executes EntryPoint of the running process, it can be run.

unpacking is recommended for old clients.
if you unpack the client or load this dll to process, it starts working on win10+.
 

Attachments

Back