Copyright

Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
96
Say I've owned a domain since 2008, but in 2010 started a forum. Would my copyright be "(C) Trasion 2008 - 2010" or "(C) Trasion 2010"?

(The 2010 would be updated every year obviously, and the second one, next year I'd change it to "(C) Trasion 2010 - 2011".
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_notice said:
In the US a copyright notice must contain the copyright symbol (a lower case letter c completely surrounded by a circle). The word "copyright" or the abbreviation "Copr." are also accepted in the US, but not in other countries. Works distributed outside the US use the (c) symbol. The copyright notice must also contain the year in which the work was first published, and the name of the copyright owner, which may be the author, the legal owner of the work made for hire, or the person or entity to whom the copyright has been transferred.

Basically: (c)2008 Name The year range is totally unnecessary.

And I'm not a lawyer, but I'm very sure that in the U.S., any work you create is automatically copyrighted. You just have to be able to prove you made it. But, it'll still be a good idea to get it officially copyrighted.
 
Last edited:
I know Madison, I was just using (C) on RZ because the © doesn't show up on some screens for people. Thanks though.

Really?
If you just copy and paste © in an HTML document (As far as I know), it'll come up as a "?". But if you put it in proper format © - it'll be fine.

Basically: (c)2008 Name The year range is totally unnecessary.

And I'm not a lawyer, but I'm very sure that in the U.S., any work you create is automatically copyrighted. You just have to be able to prove you made it. But, it'll still be a good idea to get it officially copyrighted.

Nope (As far as I know), you have to go to the local copyright office and put the work under your name, company/business - and pay a fee of course (Ranges on state/town).
 
Last edited:
Basically: (c)2008 Name The year range is totally unnecessary.

And I'm not a lawyer, but I'm very sure that in the U.S., any work you create is automatically copyrighted. You just have to be able to prove you made it. But, it'll still be a good idea to get it officially copyrighted.

Nope. If it's not legally copyrighted, then you'll have a hard time proving it's yours even if it is. It's easy to say I made this and have a tiny bit of proof that isn't really mine.
 
Nope. If it's not legally copyrighted, then you'll have a hard time proving it's yours even if it is. It's easy to say I made this and have a tiny bit of proof that isn't really mine.

To all that believe you actually have to GET copyrights.. its false..
Copyright is in every country different, but it's like this:
When you create something, the copyright is yours, no matter what... You do NOT have to pay for it. But yes, it is true there are companies you can pay to deposit your work at.. this is usually the best and guaranteed approach to proof something is yours. Also there is something that is called registered trademark, which could be either a picture or a word. Registered trademarks can either be: your country only, or world wide.. in the last case it would obviously cost way more.

Now if you ask yourself, but how would one proof he made it??
Well there are a lot of different ways, you can be creative and think of a way to do it.. As long as you can proof the date.

a way a lot of people already know about:
- Put your work on a cd/usb (usb is better, since CD's dont last that long if its for a really long project.) then put it in an envelope, close it.. and mail it to your own address.. but DO NOT open it, until you might ever need it ;)
And yes.. this is actually a good way to do it, also accepted by judges.

Any approach similar to this one is fine too..
Do note though that the date you send it to yourself, is the date you can prove its yours.. so if anyone is able to prove he made it BEFORE that date.. then you could be lost, unless you can come up with a strong argument :P

Anyway, on the (C) think, you can do it anyway you want.. if you think 2008-2010 looks nicer, than do it that way. Stating you have copyright has merely become a design thing :P
 
Back