• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Difference between VPS and Dedicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm just a new guy here, and i'm looking for some service to host my server. I'm relatively new to this so I wouldn't know what the difference between VPS and Dedicated is. Anyone care to explain? ^_^

Also, I'm looking to hire someone who is good with PHP and/ or Java scripting.

I'm just looking for one time service with PHP on a certain vote script so I can get my voting to work and Java scripting is a weekly pay kind of thing. I'm very flexible about price as long as it is not ridiculously overpriced. Not looking to pay more then $30 a week :/ sorry. My old guy was doing it for free but I think he wanted to move onto a new server... </3

Anyways, if you can answer my question and are interested in the job, please leave a message below! I'll message you :D

~永遠の美~
Reaction score
You can try .

VPS stands for "virtual private server", its virtual by its name, its not actually a physical server.

VPS is a small part of big server(we say big server as node a.k.a Dedicated Server). If you are running a small server I will recommend VPS since it will be good enough to even run a server with 100++ Players using a 2 GB Ram, 20 HDD and etc. As for Dedicated Server you can use the whole server where it may be running 4 virtual server and so on.

VPS shares resources like RAM, CPU, disk space etc. from node. That means when your provider assign 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk space to your VPS that means 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk space actually deducted from node, basically it depends on the architecture is used for this.
Some providers use software virtualization where as some providers use hardware virtualization.
Cloud is a concept which utilize resources more efficiently, like it allocates only that much resources which are required.

Users prefer VPS as they get some good advantages like direct remote access to server which is not the case with shared hosting.
With VPS you get more resources, more features, freedom to install any application, freedom to make any changes etc. which is not possible on shared server and hence cost of a VPS lil bit more than that of a shared hosting package.

Credits to storminternet at

I hope this cleared up for you ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can try .

VPS stands for "virtual private server", its virtual by its name, its not actually a physical server.

VPS is a small part of big server(we say big server as node).

VPS shares resources like RAM, CPU, disk space etc. from node. That means when your provider assign 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk space to your VPS that means 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk space actually deducted from node, basically it depends on the architecture is used for this.
Some providers use software virtualization where as some providers use hardware virtualization.
Cloud is a concept which utilize resources more efficiently, like it allocates only that much resources which are required.

Users prefer VPS as they get some good advantages like direct remote access to server which is not the case with shared hosting.
With VPS you get more resources, more features, freedom to install any application, freedom to make any changes etc. which is not possible on shared server and hence cost of a VPS lil bit more than that of a shared hosting package.

Credits to storminternet at
Can you still use a VPS even if you have crappy internet? Cause that's the biggest reason I'm looking for a host right now. I have no problems with leaving my computer on overnight for days and what nots, but my internet is just not strong enough to handle that. :l And then what's a dedicated? Cause I would like a solution where I don't have to leave my own computer on for countless days as well.

Upvote 0
~永遠の美~
Reaction score
Can you still use a VPS even if you have crappy internet? Cause that's the biggest reason I'm looking for a host right now. I have no problems with leaving my computer on overnight for days and what nots, but my internet is just not strong enough to handle that. :l And then what's a dedicated? Cause I would like a solution where I don't have to leave my own computer on for countless days as well.

Most VPS runs their Network using at least 100 Mbits Up/Down. My Server runs using 500 Mbits/up where I have posted a link for you at . I recommend you to use this as it is cheap, User friendly and the support is fantastic.

For that you don't have to keep your PC on the whole time and don't need to worry about crappy internet :D

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Most VPS runs their Network using at least 100 Mbits Up/Down. My Server runs using 500 Mbits/up where I have posted a link for you at . I recommend you to use this as it is cheap, User friendly and the support is fantastic.

For that you don't have to keep your PC on the whole time and don't need to worry about crappy internet :D

Gg the link won't work for me. LOL

Upvote 0
~永遠の美~
Reaction score
They are working on network maintenance so just wait for a while. I got an email so yeah

Sent from my iPhone using

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: This is going entirely off memory and experience. It's very likely that I forgot something in here.)

For the purposes of running a MapleStory private server, you can consider VPS and Dedicated servers to be nearly identical. The only difference is the virtualization layer in the case of VPS: OpenVZ or KVM. There are a few other virtualization platforms out there as well (Xen comes to mind), but I've never had experience with them so I'll refrain from giving an opinion on those.

In either case, as Utsukushi already mentioned, a virtual machine is simply a larger machine that has had its resources split up among multiple users, whereas a dedicated machine is a full machine dedicated entirely to you.

Now, on the different virtualization types:

OpenVZ has the advantage of having (generally) lower prices than KVM for any given set of specs, but be aware that resources in OpenVZ-divided servers are shared: If somebody else on your machine is abusing their resources, then that will have a negative effect on your server as well, even if your server and theirs have nothing to do with each other. For that reason, it's usually not preferable to run high-demand applications (i.e. game servers) on OpenVZ VPS's, as your performance is not guaranteed.

KVM takes a different approach: When you buy resources on a KVM server, your resources are dedicated entirely to you: that is, only you can use them, and whatever you do will not affect other virtual servers that happen to run on the same machine, or vice-versa. Theoretically, at least. In reality, hard disks tend to be shared between multiple servers even in KVM configurations, with each server simply receiving its own partition. The HDD isn't a bottleneck for MapleStory servers though (unless you did something horribly wrong), so that's not a concern.

A full dedicated server, on the other hand, is literally an entire machine that only you have access to. Other than the network (and often including the network), every resource you have on a dedicated server belongs entirely to you, and it is impossible for any other server's resource use to affect yours. It doesn't matter if the server machine beside yours is running a dozen servers and overstressing all its resources, your use will be completely unaffected. KVM has this advantage as well, but usually to a lesser degree, as the virtualization layer cannot completely remove interference from other partitions on the same physical machine.

In short: OpenVZ is cheaper but has a shared resource pool, while KVM gives you resources more dedicated to you only. Dedicated machines are "the real deal", so to speak, but usually are more expensive (there are many exceptions to this, though).

That being said, I have to recommend a KVM VPS over a dedicated machine, unless your server reaches 700+ online at once. The reason being that VPS hosting typically has more features available remotely. While dedicated machines usually only have basic functionality from the control panel (power on, power off, reboot, reinstall OS), virtual machines tend to have a much greater array of system administration tools available remotely. Reason being, in a VPS, your server is just, well, virtual; while in a dedicated server, you have an actual physical machine. Unless you really need the (minimal) extra performance and capacity a dedicated server can offer you, go VPS.

And to close, when you're browsing around for server hosts, you would do well to keep in mind the following:

* Hosts that offer VPS hosting but don't tell you what type it is. If it says "burstable RAM" anywhere on the page, it's OpenVZ. Burstable RAM is a feature that belongs entirely to OpenVZ. If it doesn't have that, then it might be KVM. Best way to find out is to ask the host directly. Shoot them an e-mail or ticket.

* Whatever hosting company you go to, don't be afraid to ply them with questions (though they probably can't help you do scripting). If they brag about "excellent customer support", take them up on that option. Any hosting company worth its poop will be happy to answer any queries you have, especially ones related to sales and performance.

* Managed hosting: Don't bother. You need root/admin access for most server configurations anyway.

* Always look for reviews before paying anything. There are a lot of scam companies out there. Remember the saying: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. An excellent place to look is . Usually I start with a simple Google search: "site:webhostingtalk.com <name of company> reviews".

* Bandwidth. You don't need a lot of it. 2TB/month is more than plenty. A general rule of thumb is: For every 100 players online, you need 500GB in bandwidth per month. You can work with less, but I find it to be risky. Add more if you need to, bandwidth is usually very flexible.

* Uplink speed. A 100Mbps uplink is about 20 times more than what you need. Fortunately for you, most hosts come with 100Mbps uplinks by default. 1Gbps uplinks are overkill; don't pay for something you don't need.

* If you're running a WZ edited server (and want to host your edits yourself), then different considerations apply: Get more bandwidth. Depending on the size and quantity of your WZ edits, you may want to get anywhere from double to quadruple what I recommended above. Like I said, bandwidth is flexible. Estimate what you need, add some overhead, done.

* Specs: RAM is important, but you shouldn't need more than 8GB. Don't go below 1GB. Anything else, it depends on your server. CPU doesn't really matter for MapleStory servers, get whatever is cheapest. Hard disk: Larger servers need a few hundred GB of disk space for those bulky MySQL databases. Smaller servers, not so much. Most hosts will allow you to upgrade your hard disk if necessary -- get what you need for now, upgrade later. Fortunately, 1TB disks are constantly becoming cheaper. You can probably make do with only 100GB for a small server.

* Lastly, don't be afraid to move hosts! If your current hosting is not working out, or you find a way better deal, then move. At least inform your hosting company of their competition, if nothing else: They're usually glad to know, and the best hosts will offer you a discount or price match.

If that doesn't answer your question, feel free to reply or shoot me a PM.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: This is going entirely off memory and experience. It's very likely that I forgot something in here.)

For the purposes of running a MapleStory private server, you can consider VPS and Dedicated servers to be nearly identical. The only difference is the virtualization layer in the case of VPS: OpenVZ or KVM. There are a few other virtualization platforms out there as well (Xen comes to mind), but I've never had experience with them so I'll refrain from giving an opinion on those.

In either case, as Utsukushi already mentioned, a virtual machine is simply a larger machine that has had its resources split up among multiple users, whereas a dedicated machine is a full machine dedicated entirely to you.

OpenVZ has the advantage of having (generally) lower prices than KVM for any given set of specs, but be aware that resources in OpenVZ-divided servers are shared: If somebody else on your machine is abusing their resources, then that will have a negative effect on your server as well, even if your server and theirs have nothing to do with each other. For that reason, it's usually not preferable to run high-demand applications (i.e. game servers) on OpenVZ VPS's, as your performance is not guaranteed.

KVM takes a different approach: When you buy resources on a KVM server, your resources are dedicated entirely to you: that is, only you can use them, and whatever you do will not affect other virtual servers that happen to run on the same machine, or vice-versa. Theoretically, at least. In reality, hard disks tend to be shared between multiple servers even in KVM configurations, with each server simply receiving its own partition. The HDD isn't a bottleneck for MapleStory servers though (unless you did something horribly wrong), so that's not a concern.

A full dedicated server, on the other hand, is literally an entire machine that only you have access to. Other than the network (and often including the network), every resource you have on a dedicated server belongs entirely to you, and it is impossible for any other server's resource use to affect yours. It doesn't matter if the server machine beside yours is running a dozen servers and overstressing all its resources, your use will be completely unaffected. KVM has this advantage as well, but usually to a lesser degree, as the virtualization layer cannot completely remove interference from other partitions on the same physical machine.

In short: OpenVZ is cheaper but has a shared resource pool, while KVM gives you resources more dedicated to you only. Dedicated machines are "the real deal", so to speak, but usually are more expensive (there are many exceptions to this, though).

That being said, I have to recommend a KVM VPS over a dedicated machine, unless your server reaches 700+ online at once. The reason being that VPS hosting typically has more features available remotely. While dedicated machines usually only have basic functionality from the control panel (power on, power off, reboot, reinstall OS), virtual machines tend to have a much greater array of system administration tools available remotely. Reason being, in a VPS, your server is just, well, virtual; while in a dedicated server, you have an actual physical machine. Unless you really need the (minimal) extra performance and capacity a dedicated server can offer you, go VPS.

And to close, when you're browsing around for server hosts, you would do well to keep in mind the following:

* Hosts that offer VPS hosting but don't tell you what type it is. If it says "burstable RAM" anywhere on the page, it's OpenVZ. Burstable RAM is a feature that belongs entirely to OpenVZ. If it doesn't have that, then it might be KVM. Best way to find out is to ask the host directly. Shoot them an e-mail or ticket.

* Whatever hosting company you go to, don't be afraid to ply them with questions (though they probably can't help you do scripting). If they brag about "excellent customer support", take them up on that option. Any hosting company worth its poop will be happy to answer any queries you have, especially ones related to sales and performance.

* Managed hosting: Don't bother. You need root/admin access for most server configurations anyway.

* Always look for reviews before paying anything. There are a lot of scam companies out there. Remember the saying: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. An excellent place to look is . Usually I start with a simple Google search: "site:webhostingtalk.com <name of company> reviews".

* Bandwidth. You don't need a lot of it. 2TB/month is more than plenty. A general rule of thumb is: For every 100 players online, you need 500GB in bandwidth per month. You can work with less, but I find it to be risky. Add more if you need to, bandwidth is usually very flexible.

* Uplink speed. A 100Mbps uplink is about 20 times more than what you need. Fortunately for you, most hosts come with 100Mbps uplinks by default. 1Gbps uplinks are overkill; don't pay for something you don't need.

* If you're running a WZ edited server (and want to host your edits yourself), then different considerations apply: Get more bandwidth. Depending on the size and quantity of your WZ edits, you may want to get anywhere from double to quadruple what I recommended above. Like I said, bandwidth is flexible. Estimate what you need, add some overhead, done.

* Specs: RAM is important, but you shouldn't need more than 8GB. Don't go below 1GB. Anything else, it depends on your server. CPU doesn't really matter for MapleStory servers, get whatever is cheapest. Hard disk: Larger servers need a few hundred GB of disk space for those bulky MySQL databases. Smaller servers, not so much. Most hosts will allow you to upgrade your hard disk if necessary -- get what you need for now, upgrade later. Fortunately, 1TB disks are constantly becoming cheaper. You can probably make do with only 100GB for a small server.

* Lastly, don't be afraid to move hosts! If your current hosting is not working out, or you find a way better deal, then move. At least inform your hosting company of their competition, if nothing else: They're usually glad to know, and the best hosts will offer you a discount or price match.

Thank you for going into suchdetails! But, I have a question. Do I just move my files onto the VPS platform/ w.e when I pay for the service? Will the company tell me what the IP is and what not? Will the correct ports be opened to host a maple server? Please respond :/

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
kinglee2015 said:
Do I just move my files onto the VPS platform/ w.e when I pay for the service?
A VPS (or any server) is nigh on identical to a regular computer: Assuming you're running Windows, then all the usual features are there: Desktop, Start Menu, Control Panel, all there just as if you were on your home computer. It's fairly intuitive, you'll pick it up in no time.
kinglee2015 said:
Will the company tell me what the IP is and what not?
Yes. For example, when I purchased my service, the hosting company gave me immediate access to their web-based control panel, which gave me a screen that looked like this:
kinglee2015 - Difference between VPS and Dedicated? - RaGEZONE Forums

Your hosting company's control panel will probably not look the same as mine, but similar information should be there.
kinglee2015 said:
Will the correct ports be opened to host a maple server? Please respond :/
Depends. Most servers have all ports opened by default, but it varies. Contact your hosting provider to make sure.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
A VPS (or any server) is nigh on identical to a regular computer: Assuming you're running Windows, then all the usual features are there: Desktop, Start Menu, Control Panel, all there just as if you were on your home computer. It's fairly intuitive, you'll pick it up in no time.

Yes. For example, when I purchased my service, the hosting company gave me immediate access to their web-based control panel, which gave me a screen that looked like this:
kinglee2015 - Difference between VPS and Dedicated? - RaGEZONE Forums

Your hosting company's control panel will probably not look the same as mine, but similar information should be there.

Depends. Most servers have all ports opened by default, but it varies. Contact your hosting provider to make sure.

So the vps is just like a windows computer?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My name is DeadCode, owner of UnlimitedKingdoms!!

We can offer you awesome services if you like!

;)

Oh, and we run on VMWare. ^_^. A bit better IMO. And we are as cheap as OpenVZ :)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My name is DeadCode, owner of UnlimitedKingdoms!!

We can offer you awesome services if you like!

;)

Oh, and we run on VMWare. ^_^. A bit better IMO. And we are as cheap as OpenVZ :)

I will pm you in three days. Could you please show me the ropes to starting up services with you please?

Upvote 0
Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Let's not forget that 9/10 times VPS nodes do not use physical cores, they use hyperthreaded cores, which are weaker.

And not to punch unlimitedkingdom or w/e in the face, but you usually get what you pay for with cheap servers. You'll find a VPS (or VDS, w/e) that runs you $30 a month for the same specs that runs you $15 a month, you can expect the hardware to be of cheaper grade, the support to be far crappier, and an overall worst experience.

On a side note - how did I go 4 weeks without reading this thread

And angel, a lot of companies just include a 1gbps connection. You don't have to pay extra for it.

Although, if you are hosting a webserver, which includes forums, or if you are having a seperate website connecting to your database and you have a large player base, 100 mbps can get you in trouble. Especially for security against your standard crap DoS attack.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Let's not forget that 9/10 times VPS nodes do not use physical cores, they use hyperthreaded cores, which are weaker.

And not to punch unlimitedkingdom or w/e in the face, but you usually get what you pay for with cheap servers. You'll find a VPS (or VDS, w/e) that runs you $30 a month for the same specs that runs you $15 a month, you can expect the hardware to be of cheaper grade, the support to be far crappier, and an overall worst experience.

On a side note - how did I go 4 weeks without reading this thread

And angel, a lot of companies just include a 1gbps connection. You don't have to pay extra for it.

Although, if you are hosting a webserver, which includes forums, or if you are having a seperate website connecting to your database and you have a large player base, 100 mbps can get you in trouble. Especially for security against your standard crap DoS attack.

That's why our new Maplestory infrastructre will soon go live ^_^.

(And yes, all DDoS protected)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back