Download speed problem

★★★★★
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I called my ISP a week ago to upgrade from my 1mb connection to their 6mb offer, but I have to wait until they send me a router and I have a month to try it out and decide if I want to upgrade or not.

And yesterday I made the speedtest.net test and instead of getting 900kb/s download and 256 kb/s upload all the time (which is what I should be getting at my current plan) I sometimes get 20,000+kb/s instead.

Limite - Download speed problem - RaGEZONE Forums

Strange.

More or less normal. (I should be getting 900-800kb/s in download speed).

The strange thing about this is that the highest speed you can order at my ISP is 20mb (17000kb/s) and some of the tests I did exceed that limit and another strange thing is that videos on youtube download as they used to do with 1mb and when I play online the ping is more or less the same as it used to be.

So could this be a temporary connection until the router arrives or is there a problem with speedtest.net? Has this happened to you people before?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Strange. What A BIG Jump you should get the 6 mb one :)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Could be the fact that many users are using your service at the same time you did speedcheck.
Speedcheck isnt really an acurate measurement because when your ISP's servers see that your trying to upload/ download something, they allocate more bandwith over a period of about 50 seconds.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Try a different location to test speed.
Mine did that, did one then tried London and got different speed.

★★★★★
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I tried several servers in different areas but I still keep getting similar results to the ones posted above.
So maybe it has to do with what MasterBubba posted or they're upgrading the network or something.
I'll wait until the router arrives and I'll call them to let them know about this issue if the problem persists.

Thanks for the help guys.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Was going to say reboot ur router but if ur getting a new it dont matter

Back