• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Download Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I have 8MB/s download speed and when i download with torrent it goes up to 700Kb/s to 1Mb/s. When i download with my browers it doesn't go above 150 or 190Kb/s. Am i doing anything wrong?

Reaction score
No.

Internet connections are measured in bits, network traffic is measured in bytes.

You have a 8Megabit connection. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 8Megabits = 1Megabyte. Which is exactly how fast your torrents get.

Your torrent speeds are saturating your full bandwidth, so that is as fast as it will go. Browser downloads on the other hand are directly downloaded from that single server, so the speed you get is determined by multiple factors (their upload, their infrastructure, the distance, the exchanges between you, your infrastructure, your download, and all of the noise and disturbance from all the different cables between the two points) so you will usually get around the 150-200 unless it's from Adobe or Apple or Microsoft or other major companies who have dedicated servers worldwide.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Thank you Rish.

I thought i had something wrong with my settings.

Reaction score
Nah everything seems to be running as it should, you'll just find your browser direct download speeds change from site to site as you're downloading from a completely different server each time and it could be hosted on any machine in any country and running on any sort of connection.

Reaction score
A lot of websites cap the upload rate to users, thus forcing you to only download at a fraction of your bandwidth. You can get around this by using a download agent like FlashGet that makes multiple connection to the website to download the same file in multiple parts. So each connection uses the same amount of bandwidth but since you are making N number of connections your download speed will be N number of times your original. This is assuming they have full bandwidth to offer you.

NoPeace - out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back