• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Emulators on *nix?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm planning to develop a Flyff emulator which would run on both *nix and Windows.

I was wondering if any of the existing emulators would be worth porting or are there serious design flaws or anything? Currently I'm getting familiar with the official source to understand the design. It seems to be using IOCP which isn't available on *nix so I probably can't copy the design too much.

Scarlet Dreamz ~waves~
Reaction score
emulators to take as base?, mm well rune its bugy but playable, mentioneing that ish v6, osa was doing a great job, u can find the last sandbox, sadly the last box its 12.2.

morpheus was doing excelent, but now ish gone. stuppid betrayers Dx.. and the soruce i got arent very helpfull.

and there arent too many emulators source nowdays :/..

Besides u dont mention if u want to build a v15 or v14 v7 or v11 v9 server, a little more specifications would be kewl C:

soo far your best option is understading the source and making your emulator.

try to give a look at osa sandbox, or rhisis, or dragon so u ca have an idea.

Last edited:
Scarlet Dreamz ~waves~
Reaction score
then i suggest to check the source, since there isnt much help here, not alot of devs x-x

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
offi source is the best you can have, greatest thing is you can compile your own client exe
if you need help you can add me in icq 213371168

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Off-topic: In what language are you going to be coding the emulator?

Ace of Hearts
Reaction score
i suggest you java :p

I strongly recomend not using java having used it in school I learning it was more then alittle crappy a handling memory

if you use java don't expect to be able to support many players without a 1000 gb of ram computer, even a space invaders game that is properly setup to clean up after itself can devour a gig of ram by itself, and emu handle significantly more data

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I strongly recomend not using java having used it in school I learning it was more then alittle crappy a handling memory

if you use java don't expect to be able to support many players without a 1000 gb of ram computer, even a space invaders game that is properly setup to clean up after itself can devour a gig of ram by itself, and emu handle significantly more data

I suggest you to read this:
Java memory management - JavaWorld

Starting off "In Java, on the other hand, the Java language and ..."

I really doubt that java needs 1000gb of ram for many players. If i'm not wrong, the LevelMe! source was built in java. So it is possible without the requirements you've mentioned to hold a large amount of players..

Last edited:
Scarlet Dreamz ~waves~
Reaction score
i remember LevelMe! xD and yeah it was on have and counting on that ish not a bad idea at all. but hey, let him choose the lenguage!,
if he want to, he can make it on php //ridicule~

Reaction score
Aion private server are made in Java and work perfectly with a lot of players. That depend how you code in java. It could be worst in c++ if you don't manage memory leak :p
Same in Java, it depend how you code your program. And it's for a private server, not commercial so he don't intend to have 1500 player per server.
Java has the advantage to work on every platform with the same source code and is totally object based, so it's easier...
And of course if you compare Java 1.1 to Actual Java you will find a lot of difference in term of performance...
And finally, for a "client" yes you will certainly see a great performance difference (because of 3d management for exemple that is faster with c++) but here we're speaking of a emulator, so the server side... In console mode, i'm sure he could have good performance.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm sure the language discussion is already too late, but have you considered node.js? ;)

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Probably too late for this already, but I'd suggest using a more portable language like Java or C# (Mono's pretty good these days). Even with boost, you'll likely run into memory management issues and/or compatibility problems due to differences in the operating systems (boost can't do everything). Do what you like, though. And good luck :]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Probably too late for this already, but I'd suggest using a more portable language like Java or C# (Mono's pretty good these days). Even with boost, you'll likely run into memory management issues and/or compatibility problems due to differences in the operating systems (boost can't do everything). Do what you like, though. And good luck :]

No worries, every single line of code I write makes me want to write it fully in Go which (as far as I know) is available on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD. :)

I seem to have some design issues though, I'm not pro at software design. D:

Back