• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Fan Questions

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm making this thread cause I have some questions about my fans.

Everytime I start my PC I hear this ticking noise as if something is touching the fans and obstructing its rotation path. It goes away tho after the pc is fully started.

Now, I was messing around with Speccy and noticed my GPU (GeForce 6610 XL) was hitting about 80C when idle. As far as I'm concerned this is not a good thing. I haven't tried playing a game with it after noticing that but I did reach 95C when watching anime. (updated the drivers recently).

Now, this heat problem occurs instantly after starting the PC. It's always about 80C, right from the start.

Now for my main question(s),
Is there any way to check if the Fan is still fully operational? and which fans? Like some program? I downloaded SpeedFan but I couldn't quite read the info on it. I had 3 fans listed with fan 1 on 0 RPM, fan 2 on about 850~900 RPM and fan 3 on 0 RPM..

Now this is a pretty old PC and I should also clean it from the inside. What is the best way to do this?

Well yeh, I hope you guys can help me with this =3.

Thanks

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
well as for cleaning the fan, you can open it up and use compressed air from the cans to get into all the heatsinks,
and the older card might be heating up from the GPU heatsink not having any more thermal paste or just dried up paste.

just open it up and give it a good cleaning, and if you know how its probably about time to put some new thermal paste on your CPU, and GPU processors

yea i had the same prob with my old P4 Computer and Geforce 6600GT, the paste just dries up and needs to be replaced, if you get a better brand it should help alot

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aight, thanks for that!

Ima buy some compressed air tomorrow. About the thermal paste, how much should I apply? I've actually never done it before so yah..

Any idea what could cause the ticking noise?

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
its about a pea size amount (depending on the size of the area contacting the processor and heatsink
and try and get a good kind, normal theral grease and theral tape dries up rather quickly, if you can find Arctic Silver, thats a good kind, but nowadays they have many different types

and the ticking noise is usually cables hitting the fan, but if it stops, it might be a broken fan, just open it up, turn it on and observe where the noise is coming from

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll open it up tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you didn't open it up in the first place to check it out :p

Idk lol, Guess I should have done that lols ><.

Anyways, thanks all for the help =].

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
people always look at the temperature of GForce cards and automatically think there's a problem.

GForce Graphic cards run hot naturally, 80 degrees is just about fine, it was probably 70-75 when the computer was brand new. Graphic cards run much hotter than CPU or PSU and can easily pass 100 degrees

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aight, thanks for the info. That's actually something I'd been wondering for some time now.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Based on the graphic cards I had
the average temperature on a radeon is 60-65 (80+ if it uses heatsink without fan)
and Gforce is 70-75

When a graphic card overheats the driver will stop responding and windows will notify you that the driver stopped responding but recovered, it won't break the card but having it overheat will give you black screen each time it reaches the temperature treshold (usually 110 degrees) and the black screen will stay until the temperature drops a bit

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aight. so, I did some cleaning today and after some testing and stuff my GPU is now running on about 50~55C.

I still have to look into the ticking noise but I figured out it's comming from the GPU fan, so thats a start.

Thanks for the help all =].

Back