• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Game news website

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was bored out of my mind a couple of days ago so I decided to read some tutorials on Javascript, jQuery, AJAX and PHP. I've been studying computer science and since I just finished my sophomore year at Utrecht University, understanding these languages has become very easy. Realizing that, I decided I'd have a go at creating a game review site just for fun and seeing how I can incorporate these languages to create a nice dynamic website.

I just finished (most of) the design for the website. I was hoping I could get your opinions and perhaps some constructive criticism. I'm not a designer, so please go easy on me. :p
Suggestions are also very welcome.

Also, the logo is just a placeholder. Definitely not the finished product.

Here's another update (the live version):

Update:
Mortar - Game news website - RaGEZONE Forums

Old:

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wow this is really nice, are you going release it?
Thanks! Well, I haven't decided anything yet. This is just a little project to see if I'll be able to create a nice dynamic website with cool functions by using Javascript, jQuery, AJAX, PHP, etc. I'm not even sure if I'll have enough time to finish it. I hope so.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's a bit too crowded for my taste. There's just too much going on. You could fit this information into more than one page.
Thanks for the reply. You might be right about it being too crowded. I think it's less crowded than the average gaming news site though. I'll think about changing it so that it doesn't look as "busy".

Reaction score
Thats really nice! I love the navigation and the style and the way its arranged! You have a talent there man. I hope you code it and release/sell it! :thumbup:

It's a bit too crowded for my taste. There's just too much going on. You could fit this information into more than one page.

It might be crowded but its arranged and organized! Not just crap and junk just shoved on a page

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thats really nice! I love the navigation and the style and the way its arranged! You have a talent there man. I hope you code it and release/sell it! :thumbup:

It might be crowded but its arranged and organized! Not just crap and junk just shoved on a page
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'll start work on the coding today and see how far I get.

P.S. Does anyone know how I can remove my signature? It's way old but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ah thats so nice what are you going to do with it
Thanks. I'm just gonna code it and see how far I get coding-wise. After that I'll decide what to do with it.

Here's an update by the way:
Mortar - Game news website - RaGEZONE Forums

I wasn't really happy about the header so I decided to change it up a little bit and I ended up with this. I think it looks a lot better. What do you guys think?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice hopefully it's going to be released so me and others are able to use it :)

Numero uno tagger.
Reaction score
You need to work on better gradients and better colors and your layer styles are way too simple, not blended in which makes it look incomplete, overall, the shapes just look incomplete.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You need to work on better gradients and better colors and your layer styles are way too simple, not blended in which makes it look incomplete, overall, the shapes just look incomplete.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Better gradients? Why? This is supposed to be a simple and clean design, nothing overly complex. "Layer styles not blended in"? Not sure what you're referring to. Shapes look incomplete? Why? Because they're simple shapes? Like I said, this is just a simple design. If this is not what you mean, then please elaborate.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Better gradients? Why? This is supposed to be a simple and clean design, nothing overly complex. "Layer styles not blended in"? Not sure what you're referring to. Shapes look incomplete? Why? Because they're simple shapes? Like I said, this is just a simple design. If this is not what you mean, then please elaborate.

He gives comments on other's threads and work but he cries on when someone gives comments like he does on yours on his post :<

Numero uno tagger.
Reaction score
He gives comments on other's threads and work but he cries on when someone gives comments like he does on yours on his post :<

Uhm, you have no idea what you're talking about? When other people comment on my work, I actually read it, and produce something out if it. And, I haven't seen you post any of your work here, nor have I ever seen you post on any of my threads. This post will be edited when I get the time to explain my other post, mortar.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This post will be edited when I get the time to explain my other post, mortar.
OK, thanks.

So, here's a live version of the website. This is just the HTML and CSS with no working hyperlinks yet. Also no news slider or other fancy Javascript stuff yet, since that is stage two of my little project: implementing Javascript. :d
Also, some of the images that should have transparent corners don't really look transparent. Not sure what that is about but I'll fix it later.

Back