• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

group chat for developing

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I personally would go with voice chat.

Anway, I'm definitely going for IRC. IRC is more compact and Skype randomly drops messages or changes timestamps.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Depends on your requirements, obviously. If all you need is a text chat I'd go with IRC if for no other reason that I already use IRC on a daily basis.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
the only problem with irc is that it doesn't save history unless you throw some sort of bouncer there..
A protocol rarely saves a history... but I haven't a met an IRC client that didn't have the option. But I guess what you mean is you can't access the conversation that went on while you were offline unless you have a client running on some always-on server and you're right. I didn't even realize this could be a problem as it's the only way I've used IRC for so long but yeah.

Reaction score
But I guess what you mean is you can't access the conversation that went on while you were offline unless you have a client running on some always-on server and you're right. I didn't even realize this could be a problem as it's the only way I've used IRC for so long but yeah.
Exactly..

Does anyone know any bot/bouncer that'd save the history to some sort of readable format.. what'd imagine is a html with formatted conversation saved each day.

Like 2013-07-23.html

ilbot - Irc log bot in Perl

f793
Reaction score
Skype by far but for "group chatting" it's better to use TeamSpeak or Raidcall so you can have your server up 24/7 and see if there is someone active and waiting to talk :)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
It is interesting that I stumbled upon this because myself and a good amount of the Travian developers are in a group message on skype. However it had come up about a week ago that we were going to create our own client to run a chat off of. I mean, we are all developers here, it is what we do. That way we can customize what we want, we control what happens and where the messages go. You don't have anything to complain about and if you do then it is your fault, you made it.

Yes, it is doing the most for something so simple but as I said before, we are developers, it is what we do.
--Brandon

Reaction score
It is interesting that I stumbled upon this because myself and a good amount of the Travian developers are in a group message on skype. However it had come up about a week ago that we were going to create our own client to run a chat off of. I mean, we are all developers here, it is what we do. That way we can customize what we want, we control what happens and where the messages go. You don't have anything to complain about and if you do then it is your fault, you made it.

Yes, it is doing the most for something so simple but as I said before, we are developers, it is what we do.
--Brandon
Seems like a waste of time. Just set up any XMPP server using any XMPP client. Why reinvent something that is already done?

I personally use openfire with spark and love it.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Seems like a waste of time. Just set up any XMPP server using any XMPP client. Why reinvent something that is already done?

That is like saying why do people make private servers or mod a game. You do it because you want to make it your own, you want to make it how you want it, and in some cases you want to make it to make money. If someone made this it wouldn't have to be for just RageZone. It could be the next Skype.

Reaction score
That is like saying why do people make private servers or mod a game. You do it because you want to make it your own, you want to make it how you want it, and in some cases you want to make it to make money. If someone made this it wouldn't have to be for just RageZone. It could be the next Skype.

People make private servers for higher rates and easier gameplay. This concept doesn't apply to chat applications at all, plus it has already been done with XMPP. Waste the time coding a system if you really want, but there are a large variety of different XMPP clients with any features you'll ever need, not to mention the huge array of server-side features.

Even if you do make something worth using, it still wont be the "next skype". It used to be MSN vs. Yahoo messenger. Over time by chance more and more people used MSN. Over time people started using MSN only because their friends used it. Since it merged with Skype, Skype is now the "default go-to" communication method. Everyone has it; its basically a social standard.

You may be able to get users, but the sad fact is you'll never compete on Skype's level for a public chat application. You need users, and you wont get users when no one uses your service. Worded more intelligently; you won't get users because "everyone else" already uses Skype. The only reason people switched to Skype was because it was forced. Otherwise everyone would still be on MSN, because it was "first" and people don't like change.

All that aside, you're going to spend weeks, if not months of development on something that has already been created and does exactly what you're looking for, so you and your fellow developers can have a better environment to communicate through. Delay development to develop something not worth developing, in an effort to make developing your original application more efficient. Oh the irony.

You can send files over irc and probably at faster speeds than skype.
Yeah, in a totally annoying way depending on what client you're using. Its also user to user. Skype can send files to everyone in a group, and I'm really not sure why you're hinting at skype transfers being slow. I've never had transfer speed issues via skype.

IRC can't beat dragging and dropping a folder of files to share with an entire group, a process that takes ~3 seconds to start on Skype. Don't get me wrong... I love IRC, but its time to move on for smaller scale communication.

Reaction score
We are all developing on the same server, all connected via vpn, so we either transfer files there or use dropbox. But usually we don't even need to share any files between developers. The only time I need file sharing is when I recieve psds from designers, and they share them via dropbox anyway.

Also people suggested that skype is great because it's also got voice chat, that's another thing I don't care about.

We have so far settled on IRC and we'll see.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I prefer Skype, purely because of the features and because more of my friends use Skype.

Back