- Joined
- May 17, 2007
- Messages
- 2,469
- Reaction score
- 681
I recently built a computer based on the new Intel Haswell Architecture. If anyone remembers me asking whether I should choose the FX-8350, 3770k or wait for haswell, I decided to wait for haswell because I didn't have much time to dedicate into building and testing a new machine.
Recently, out of the blue, I ordered the components and built the PC
rocessor:
Intel Core i7-4770k w/ H100i Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H
Memory: 2 x 8GB Corsair Veng. @ 1600Mhz CL10
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R (BARELY just enough space to fit the H100i)
HDD1: 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
HDD2: 1TB WDC Black
Was pretty much my first time building a new computer from stratch, and was pretty fun. (I did have experience refurbishing and putting together components when I worked as a computer service technician for a short while)
Everything is fine, and I've ran a couple Memtest86 tests to make sure my system memory is working as expected, and have ran AIDA64 stress tests, and Prime95 stress tests (monitoring HW sensors/temps and voltages via AIDA64).
Everything is fine and stable at stock settings, which is 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo). That's when I decided to see if I had a decent overclockable chip, because I've read reviews of Haswell being a bad overclocker and having bad temps.
I just tried out some basic overclocks, to see if it would overclock, but seems like I'm having a horrible time finding my hotspot
Question: Does anyone have a Haswell chip, and have you tried overclocking? What cooling do you have? I think my H100i is working fine (maybe a little bit hotter than expected, but never reaching over 70C on synthetic tests)
I've tried the following dirty overclock settings:
45*100 w/ 1.2 Vcore
46*100 w/ 1.25 Vcore
45*100 w/ 1.25 Vcore (seemed stable for amount 30 minutes before BSOD in Prime95)
I didn't have much time to overclock, so I want to ask around before trying again (I've reset CMOS and am running on stock speeds ATM). Prefer not to go past 1.3V, especially because haswell runs hot already. I did try 4.6 w/ 1.3V at one point, but I remember it did not boot.
I understand that this is a silicon lotery, and that not all chips will perform identically, but damn, these chips are really shitty overclockers
I've also tried disable C states, and IEST; No luck. Keeping Uncore/cache ratio slightly lower than the multiplier seems to help stabilize a little bit (my bios recommends a 1:1 or higher ratio though)
I may have gotten my chip for a shitty batch (Malaysia). Too bad I can't exchange, as my processor doesn't have any real defects
Recently, out of the blue, I ordered the components and built the PC
Intel Core i7-4770k w/ H100i Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H
Memory: 2 x 8GB Corsair Veng. @ 1600Mhz CL10
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R (BARELY just enough space to fit the H100i)
HDD1: 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
HDD2: 1TB WDC Black
Was pretty much my first time building a new computer from stratch, and was pretty fun. (I did have experience refurbishing and putting together components when I worked as a computer service technician for a short while)
Everything is fine, and I've ran a couple Memtest86 tests to make sure my system memory is working as expected, and have ran AIDA64 stress tests, and Prime95 stress tests (monitoring HW sensors/temps and voltages via AIDA64).
Everything is fine and stable at stock settings, which is 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo). That's when I decided to see if I had a decent overclockable chip, because I've read reviews of Haswell being a bad overclocker and having bad temps.
I just tried out some basic overclocks, to see if it would overclock, but seems like I'm having a horrible time finding my hotspot
Question: Does anyone have a Haswell chip, and have you tried overclocking? What cooling do you have? I think my H100i is working fine (maybe a little bit hotter than expected, but never reaching over 70C on synthetic tests)
I've tried the following dirty overclock settings:
45*100 w/ 1.2 Vcore
46*100 w/ 1.25 Vcore
45*100 w/ 1.25 Vcore (seemed stable for amount 30 minutes before BSOD in Prime95)
I didn't have much time to overclock, so I want to ask around before trying again (I've reset CMOS and am running on stock speeds ATM). Prefer not to go past 1.3V, especially because haswell runs hot already. I did try 4.6 w/ 1.3V at one point, but I remember it did not boot.
I understand that this is a silicon lotery, and that not all chips will perform identically, but damn, these chips are really shitty overclockers
I've also tried disable C states, and IEST; No luck. Keeping Uncore/cache ratio slightly lower than the multiplier seems to help stabilize a little bit (my bios recommends a 1:1 or higher ratio though)
I may have gotten my chip for a shitty batch (Malaysia). Too bad I can't exchange, as my processor doesn't have any real defects
Last edited:

