[Help] Don't know where to start.

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Dec 16, 2012
Messages
41
Reaction score
11
Hello..
So, I Would like to get into coding. Coding programs, creating specific files etc.
People have recommended C++ As a beginners language, to this it will differ to what you use.
Straight to the fact.
I Do NOT know where to start. I Have seen some tutorials online, but i cant match the speed or sometimes i do not know what they are doing.
I Will be dedicated to this, I Will have patience ( if needed ) and goals, if a program takes 1 year to make, so be it, i will work at my pace and get it done.
Can anyone direct me to a Noobie tutorial (Written) as Videos just don't suit me.
If any experienced coders can point the direction in where they learned from, show me?
And one more thing.. Is C++ The 'Noob' language? Are there any languages that you use that are really better?
----------------- C++/Help Language -----------------------
 
C++ is as good a beginner language as any other. I'll say the same to you as I say to anyone else these days: first decide what you want to make (or try to make) and we'll tell you which language to go for. Usually I'll recommend something that is more fun to begin with and ignites a spark in you that will make you want to learn more.

If you do want to go with C++ I have no clue where to begin anymore.
 
start with html then CSS then PHP then javascript/jquery/ajax

then get into C++, C# python and maybe java..
 
Coding programs could refer to writing games, writing Form Programs, or writing mobile apps. Should you desire to write games, C++ is definitely a good choice. However, should you desire to write Form Programs, I would recommend C# because of it's ease of development, and Python because of it's heavy cross-platform support. Should you want to write mobile apps, I would recommend Java because, well, most mobile platforms are in Java (Java's installers have claimed to have Java installed on over 3 billion devices. Oh well.)

If the purpose is strictly to learn, then you could start with very narrative (wordy) languages such as Visual Basic, Python and Pascal. In fact, such languages are often used for teaching purposes in the GCE 'A' Levels for computing. However such languages are generally deemed to be inferior because programmers often compare coding in these languages to writing novels, because they find that such languages use a lot of words. Should you plan to start with a narrative language and stick with it for the rest of your programming career, I would recommend Python as it is often used in the industries. An added advantage of Python is it's cross platform support as well. For example, uTorrent is written in Python, and i've heard Google utilizes Python heavily too.

However, speaking from experience, I personally feel that starting from one of the C or C syntax derived languages provides you the ease of access to the widest range of languages in the future. Such languages include C, C++, C#, Java. Such languages are, to me, more "professional" and are heavily used in the industries (Android apps are written in Java for example). Their syntax-es are very similar. Which means that after a year of C++, you should be able to switch to C# or Java easily. However, I personally feel that C# would be the better of such languages because it's syntax feels neater to me, and it has an excellent IDE (Microsoft Visual Studio) as well.

As for whether C++ is a "noob" language, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. In fact, I would say that this applies for all languages. A peeler is not meant to slice a potato, and neither is a knife meant to skin a potato.

In conclusion, I would recommend C# as your first language. It is excellent for Form Programming, it has a very neat syntax and an excellent IDE as well. Not only that, it is a .NET language, which means it allows you to interface your programs with the other .NET languages. Should you find the need to switch to C or C++ in the future, it should be simple as C and C++'s syntax-es are very similar to C#. Also, if you decide to go into mobile development where Java basically dominates, it would be rather simple to switch as well because C# and Java also has very similar syntax-es.
 
Unless you're going to work on a project that's in C++, it's never worth learning C++. Learn C instead.

When people use C++, they should be using it inasmuch as it's just C with OOP. Any more than that and it's being done wrong.

As far as language<->developer relationships go, C is to C++ as C++ is to Java.
 
Back