• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Helping

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The Conquer Online section of the forum has been the most stingy section out of all of the games on Ragezone for some time now. The constant Elitist attitude has led to this section being put in the archived section of the forums, and it really doesn't belong here.

I guess I will put my money where my mouth is and start a project. I am getting sick and tired of people not sharing their work on here but bragging that they have done all the work on their server and it works. Either you have done all the work and you are a selfish butt, or you all have done none of the work and you are lying. My guess is the latter.

If you browse any of the other games in this forum, people freely share their work without fear of losing credit or worrying about who released what first. The Conquer Online section is one of the few sections that has kept things to themselves until very recently when some source has gotten leaked to the forums.

You all need to stop being asses on here and help people. Don't flame me for telling it how it is, instead post something useful like how someone can get started, and maybe they will end up contributing to the cause. As it is now, people get on here, ask a noob question, and are shot down like they are idiots. We were all noobs once, and if you don't admit that, you are an elitist butt.

To practice what I preach, Here are a few tips:

My favorite source so far (Tell me about another one if there is a better one) is Steel's source, which can be found here: http://forum.ragezone.com/f462/release-steals-server-pack-v1-0-a-451699/

It has a nice video tutorial on how to set it up, and is pretty much all inclusive. You can point and click your way to setting it up in about 15 minutes.

If you want to start fixing the bugs, you will need to search around on these forums for snippets of code to insert into the source. Most posts on here tell you which file to put the code into, and where in the code it belongs. Or you can figure out how to code yourself, and actually contribute to the source by fixing things that are not already fixed.

Here is a link to download the free version of C#

There are many tutorials on the web on how to get started with C#. I suggest you Google it, and you will have thousands.

Here is a list of bugs that I have found in Steel's source so far:

- 2nd RB doesn't work, but there are exemption tokens in the shopping mall
- No 2nd rb map
- Special training area isn't accessible
- Celestial stone doesn't disappear upon rebirth, but is required
- Water spells don't work,
- Mana pots aren't usable
- Met tears don't work
- Equipping shield doesn't increase attack until you level up
- Jump speed needs to be increased by about 25 pct.
- Lose divine hare when rb to something other than water
- Guards don't attack mobs
- Arrows need to be re-equipped when the archer moves
- Exp balls stop working randomly at levels>130
- Can't get full HP, can't get mana
- Jail does not work
- Some coordinates can't be accessed to pick up items - LOTS of invalid coordinates
- Jump lengths are not long enough
- Shopping Mall should have 2 P's.... like I just wrote it.
- lvl 70 equipment allowance for rb characters doesn't work
- Can't build stamina - ie: can't fly, etc.
- Can't ally to/enemy with other guilds
- Love Stone doesn't work at all
- Can't drop cash

Some of these bugs probably have fixes. My suggestion is that we come together as a forum of intelligent people and work together by posting the fixes to these things in this thread, and everyone can benefit from it. At the end of the project, hopefully we will have accomplished what many people have tried to do on their own while they hide their work from the rest of the people and then end up giving up on the project and not sharing anyhow.

I have spent many hours checking into these bugs on my test bed server, which is based on Steel's source, with a few modifications that I could find. The server is on my dedicated machine to test these things out, and will be improving the server as we go when I can. I won't link to the server page because this is not the place to do that, and it is only a test bed anyhow. If you want to tool around on it just send me a PM and I will be glad to have the testing help.

The difference with this project is that people will be able to get on this thread and use it as a resource for their work, and I will also upload a "live" version of the server source with the fixes implemented so people can get it freely and play around with it without having to start from scratch fixing bugs every time someone new starts a server. That's ridiculous.

I might even set up an SVN or something similar for the project, maybe Microsoft Groove for those of you wanting to contribute so we don't have three people working on the same bug at the same time.

My suggestion in the meantime is to post your bug and fix in this format on this thread:

-What the bug was
-What the solution was
-The snippet of code and where in the code to insert the snippet.
OR the .cs file uploaded as an attachment for us to look at (and maybe improve)
-Any opinions or comments about the problem or the fix (or both)

Ok, now that you are almost at the end of this long post, you have three choices if you respond as I see it:

• You can flame and complain about all the hard work people have put in and how noobs don't deserve to be able to just get on here and download a good server. In this case, you will be just like the other hundred posts on here that have done no good for the cause.

• You can ignore the post and continue to hoard your knowledge and skills for your own use, in which case there will never be a good CO server because there are a hundred people working on their own or in small teams to accomplish what a greater number of people can do much better.

• You can HELP the cause by posting your ideas and articulated intelligent opinions here, and finding snippets of code from other posts, or that napkin you wrote that idea on last night that works but you weren't going to share. Use this thread as a repository of sorts (until I can get a nice net-based public access interface going).
Please don't post tutorials or questions about code or questions on how to do something here. Post those in other threads and we will try our best to answer them. The SOLUTION to your question may be posted here by someone if it was a bug that was fixed. Again, read the suggested format for these solutions above in this post. This will keep things organized untila link to the online effort can be posted here. This thread is for the betterment of the Conquer server project, and I wish it to be a public, non-elitist effort to further the development of what I think we all want in the end... A WORKING SERVER that we can all enjoy.

I welcome your help, and look forward to helping as well.

Back