Hosting S4EP2 on a Windows VPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Few questions for you guys.

I plan on hosting a Season 4 Episode 2 server. I am considering getting a VPS for the purpose. The VPS I am looking at has the following specifications.

CPU: Intel Xeon Nahaleim Triple-core
RAM: 3GB
SSD space: 10GB
HD Space: 300GB RAID
Bandwidth: 3000GB
OS: Windows Server 2008 r2 (Option for Server 2012 as well or 2003)

I plan on using SQL server 2008 as well. Webhosting will not be on this machine as I already have one that I'm paying for.

The maximum players setup on the server (So far) is 500. I'm kinda wondering if I should upgrade the ram to 6 or 8 GB and possibly a four core CPU.

Thoughts?

Voyager of Time and Space
Reaction score
Re: [HELP] Hosting S4EP2 on a Windows VPS.

In my opinion its good but probably should be around 4 GB of RAM and everything will be fine.
If you are using your own files or premium s4 e2 files then go ahead if they support sql server 2008.
that being said, everything should be alright if you know the setup.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Thanks. I am well aware of the setup. I believe the files I am using will adapt to SQL 2008. If not, I can make them adapt. Not a big deal. If I must code.. I will and can. Though I am not a fan of it. I went ahead and did order the VPS. I went with 6GB of RAM and 4 cores. I plan on placing the server files onto the SSD space and everything else on the standard Hard disk. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Got a status update. I have managed to get the server up and running with SQL 2008. 2012 was met with utter failure. But regardless it is running. I am however, not ready to open it to the public. I am still in the process of securing the system. I will say one thing. Having a four core Xeon is amazingly fast (Compared to the Pentium 4 I used for testing.) I have also capped the player limit to 500 cause let's face it. I strongly doubt I would get 500 concurrent users. But that's my status update.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

OK. I got auto-update working and all of that. However, I am still uneasy about the security of the system. I have MuGuard in place along with It's firewall, and I have also told server 2008 to block the needed ports I found in a guide. I went ahead and punched these ports into canyouseeme.org and it says connection refused. Is it safe to assume that the ports are truly not communicating outside? I am most paranoid about SQL. I did try remotely connecting with MUMaker and I got a connection refused. So I should be safe. I understand there is no such thing as 100% secure. However, I Don't want to be a ship with a hole blown into it's port side. Should I to be sure, go ahead and try attacking my own server with SQL injects and such?

I understand I am a pain. But the last thing I need to do is worry about this thing while I'm at work. For sure have done research and have taken my my time working on this.(Been working on it for two weeks now) But so much has changed that I have to be sure.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back