Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

how can i hook client-side

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi i am new in this business and i am working on a project but i don't understand exactly what should i do, what i want to do is hook the client with IDA Pro, i see functions but when i look at people who are already doing this job, the functions are understandable, so to give an example they have DamageFunction , but I have values like sub_54F1030, do we understand what function it is by decompiling these values, or is it possible to come up with an understandable name directly, from the people who made it and I will give an example as a photo as I did, thanks in advance for a clearer understanding

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
hi i am new in this business and i am working on a project but i don't understand exactly what should i do, what i want to do is hook the client with IDA Pro, i see functions but when i look at people who are already doing this job, the functions are understandable, so to give an example they have DamageFunction , but I have values like sub_54F1030, do we understand what function it is by decompiling these values, or is it possible to come up with an understandable name directly, from the people who made it and I will give an example as a photo as I did, thanks in advance for a clearer understanding
Assuming it is an .exe file, function names can be automatically populated in IDA Pro only if you have the corresponding .pdb file associated with the client you are trying to reverse engineer. If you wanna do static analysis only then start with the main function and trace what functions are called to guess their use to rename then. The other way is dynamic analysis in which you will have to guess what function is what by running it using Ollydbg and adding breakpoints to it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Assuming it is an .exe file, function names can be automatically populated in IDA Pro only if you have the corresponding .pdb file associated with the client you are trying to reverse engineer. If you wanna do static analysis only then start with the main function and trace what functions are called to guess their use to rename then. The other way is dynamic analysis in which you will have to guess what function is what by running it using Ollydbg and adding breakpoints to it.
First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your valuable reply. Yes, this is an exe file and unfortunately, as you said, I can't add a breakpoint. I don't know why. When I try to add it, it gives an error. It is impossible to guess the names of all the functions one by one because there are close to 10 thousand functions, yes many of them are interconnected, but it is quite difficult to determine which one is what, but I am sure my job would be much easier if I could add a breaking point, thank you very much for your valuable answer again

When I upload the .pdb files, the result is like this, I think I'm doing something wrong

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Reaction score
First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your valuable reply. Yes, this is an exe file and unfortunately, as you said, I can't add a breakpoint. I don't know why. When I try to add it, it gives an error. It is impossible to guess the names of all the functions one by one because there are close to 10 thousand functions, yes many of them are interconnected, but it is quite difficult to determine which one is what, but I am sure my job would be much easier if I could add a breaking point, thank you very much for your valuable answer again

When I upload the .pdb files, the result is like this, I think I'm doing something wrong
I have seen that newer version of IDA Pro actually doesn't load PDB well if there are mismatches. IDA Pro 7.x you should try if you have it handy. It might give better results. If not I have no more suggestions left.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have seen that never version of IDA Pro actually doesn't load PDB well if there are mismatches. IDA Pro 7.x you should try if you have it handy. It might give better results. If not I have no more suggestions left.
thank you very much for your suggestions

Back