Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to add graphical effects to costumes?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is something which has eluded me. I can't recall seeing anything in the ief files that denotes whether a graphical glow/flame effect is applied. It certainly isn't anything in the standard bins and copying an existing costume into a new line and giving it a new ID# doesn't yield anything.

That leads me to believe that effects are programmed via the preset item ID# but where is this stored? The only bin I haven't looked in is gameeffect. Is anyone able to provide some kind of structure/template to view edit this in 010/structorian?

I'm pretty sure it's not stored within the client exe because changing gems and bins allows you to update to the latest sets (with included effects). Gameeffect is my last port of call in the bins before I start looking at the iefs/gems again.

Any help would be much appreciated if anyone has knowledge of this. Thanks.

Edit: It appears I have a gameeffect 010 template which you previously made Hunin. Don't ask how I got it because I won't tell lol. It was a package of files which looks to have been from when zRohan closed. Can't really make head or tail out of what it shows in the latest gameeffect, it appears the structure has changed however in an older version in use on my test server it seems to be working well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is something which has eluded me. I can't recall seeing anything in the ief files that denotes whether a graphical glow/flame effect is applied. It certainly isn't anything in the standard bins and copying an existing costume into a new line and giving it a new ID# doesn't yield anything.

That leads me to believe that effects are programmed via the preset item ID# but where is this stored? The only bin I haven't looked in is gameeffect. Is anyone able to provide some kind of structure/template to view edit this in 010/structorian?

I'm pretty sure it's not stored within the client exe because changing gems and bins allows you to update to the latest sets (with included effects). Gameeffect is my last port of call in the bins before I start looking at the iefs/gems again.

Any help would be much appreciated if anyone has knowledge of this. Thanks.

Edit: It appears I have a gameeffect 010 template which you previously made Hunin. Don't ask how I got it because I won't tell lol. It was a package of files which looks to have been from when zRohan closed. Can't really make head or tail out of what it shows in the latest gameeffect, it appears the structure has changed however in an older version in use on my test server it seems to be working well.

I can update that I suppose

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can update that I suppose

To be honest I'm not sure it would be worth your time. It's a very convoluted file and I can't really find any obvious links that probably don't end up in the exe. If what I'm looking for is in there it would be easier to find the world's smallest needle in the world's largest haystack.

p,s, Your template works fine with the current s2 files used on pservers.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not sure it would be worth your time. It's a very convoluted file and I can't really find any obvious links that probably don't end up in the exe. If what I'm looking for is in there it would be easier to find the world's smallest needle in the world's largest haystack.

p,s, Your template works fine with the current s2 files used on pservers.

Could you rar that template pack and send me a link? I lost alot of my templates for newer files

Edit btw I found the original source for xlsbin from before I rewrote it... I may fix a couple bugs and release that

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Could you rar that template pack and send me a link? I lost alot of my templates for newer files

Edit btw I found the original source for xlsbin from before I rewrote it... I may fix a couple bugs and release that

Done :)

Yeah I also have the source for xlsbin. I think you gave out a wad of files to someone (think I know who as we were talking about it just before Underground closed) and some of it made its way to me. Was a nice surprise to see some of my old stuff in there.

Although my folder discipline was appalling :huh:

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Done :)

Yeah I also have the source for xlsbin. I think you gave out a wad of files to someone (think I know who as we were talking about it just before Underground closed) and some of it made its way to me. Was a nice surprise to see some of my old stuff in there.

Although my folder discipline was appalling :huh:

Zzz noone should have got my files... but as long as the rewrite if xlsbin is not out its fine... my choppy doesn't use boost libs and uses. .bt rather then. St files for templates ^_^ gives support for types for zlib compressed blobs and variable lengths on character data's lol so I can read even. Lst files with it xD

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Zzz noone should have got my files... but as long as the rewrite if xlsbin is not out its fine... my choppy doesn't use boost libs and uses. .bt rather then. St files for templates ^_^ gives support for types for zlib compressed blobs and variable lengths on character data's lol so I can read even. Lst files with it xD
No it didn't. The files were only given to me because some of my old stuff was in there. I only have the last version made by Silent and I know for a fact only a select few people have even that version so there is at least some trust and respect out there amongst a handful of devs. I'm sure you're aware which ones are which.

I'm probably one of the most knowledgeable of the non-programmers and even I'm fine with the current range of tools available (to me) - RHData, xlsbin, Reqviem's binextr, your 010 templates and Dark's structorian templates. It's up to you if you feel like releasing tools to help non-programmers. What you have planned is pretty pimp though.

Dark completed a structorian template for the ief.gem files so I could build a genuine new tier of armour but it was still a lot of work and I never got round to finishing it. I know the structure of ief.gem is dynamic depending on how many parts make up an armour piece but a parse/recompile converter should still work well?

I think most of the basic editing is covered for the time being. Perhaps it's time to move onto making deeper edits easier? It all depends what you want to contribute and spend your time doing of course.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
No it didn't. The files were only given to me because some of my old stuff was in there. I only have the last version made by Silent and I know for a fact only a select few people have even that version so there is at least some trust and respect out there amongst a handful of devs. I'm sure you're aware which ones are which.

I'm probably one of the most knowledgeable of the non-programmers and even I'm fine with the current range of tools available (to me) - RHData, xlsbin, Reqviem's binextr, your 010 templates and Dark's structorian templates. It's up to you if you feel like releasing tools to help non-programmers. What you have planned is pretty pimp though.

Dark completed a structorian template for the ief.gem files so I could build a genuine new tier of armour but it was still a lot of work and I never got round to finishing it. I know the structure of ief.gem is dynamic depending on how many parts make up an armour piece but a parse/recompile converter should still work well?

I think most of the basic editing is covered for the time being. Perhaps it's time to move onto making deeper edits easier? It all depends what you want to contribute and spend your time doing of course.

Ill release my gem tool tonight you can use that plus the official updater or just de gem your client no need for more

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ill release my gem tool tonight you can use that plus the official updater or just de gem your client no need for more

Cheers I already have the gem extractor and gtx converter plus your co-ordinates converter. Ran my test server de-gem'd for as long as I knew it was possible :D

Sorry I meant the separate .ief files within the ief.gem not the gem itself. Here's the structorian template for them.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wow just noticed that this forum is finally rohan friendly. Google ftw...

To the problem in place, the .gbf files store lots of mesh related information. Animation names, BB's, animation events, etc etc and aswell the effects for each animation/state. The effect name is simply referenced to the gameeffect.bin and rohaneffectfile.rbf plus some more common ynk referencing. Though, the .gbf has no visible strings, they are encrypted. But not a big deal either, its a simple xor encryption.

Oh, and it was me who gave/showed the .ief format to dark/you. :p:

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Can't discount your contribution either Yurn. You still working on your Unity thing?

Sounds like this effects thing is more trouble than it's worth really. Unless some pro dev has a lot of spare time on his hands :D

Although Yurn... :p

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yup thats the link I gave you and dark aswell :D Thats basically where I got the basic file formats from, though, they are 95% unuseable. I've ended up reversing the full graphics pipeline myself.

Regarding "UnityRohan", its done. Well, the engine behind it is. Whats missing is the content, like discriptions, skills (I've written a Ducking awesome system for that), item content (though, I've just bin-imported most of that stuff) and yea, lots of minor content.
Anyways, even though it is done, it'll still be a while before I acctually release it. Way to much content development and other stuff to work on, plus Unity 5.x is coming this year which will give some noticeable improvements to lots of the current systems, so I want to wait for that.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at how I'm reworking the stats. I'm doing away with % weapons and all attack/defense accessories and reducing the amount of % boosts from buffs. Taking my inspiration from WoW and other MMOs that just don't have anywhere near the degree of % boosts that Rohan does, because imbalance.

I've worked out and tested the required changes needed for + stats to keep up with % stats and changed the coefficients for the stat spread and I've also reconfigured the RNG rolls as an offset bell curve where the median stat rate falls at around 60-80% max. At the moment I'm going through every single class and skill to make sure everything balances up, changing anything that needs to be done and so far so good.

If it's something that you think you might find useful I'm happy for you to take a look.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at how I'm reworking the stats. I'm doing away with % weapons and all attack/defense accessories and reducing the amount of % boosts from buffs. Taking my inspiration from WoW and other MMOs that just don't have anywhere near the degree of % boosts that Rohan does, because imbalance.

I've worked out and tested the required changes needed for + stats to keep up with % stats and changed the coefficients for the stat spread and I've also reconfigured the RNG rolls as an offset bell curve where the median stat rate falls at around 60-80% max. At the moment I'm going through every single class and skill to make sure everything balances up, changing anything that needs to be done and so far so good.

If it's something that you think you might find useful I'm happy for you to take a look.
remember if you do a blanket nerf of something you cover classes that are already weak and solve nothing except to make weak classes weak in pve AND pvp

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
remember if you do a blanket nerf of something you cover classes that are already weak and solve nothing except to make weak classes weak in pve AND pvp
Not quite a nerf. I set out with a strategy in mind to remove % stats from weapons but beef up the + stats and lower the % available from buffs. I just can't see the game being balanced in a hugely multiplicative environment. Everything is much more controllable if as much as possible is additive.

It does take quite a large amount of + stats to compensate unsurprisingly but luckily I managed to work out the right equivalent, tested it out and got the right result. Obviously that's going to have a huge impact for things like crit damage buffs which is why I'm testing in 2 environments - 1 with the old type gear and buffs/skills and 1 with the new type gear and buffs/skills. That way I'm able to make direct comparisons and make the right adjustments to the skills.

It also makes templars much easier to balance. By removing as much access to their triple bonus as possible, it's much easier to control blunt mastery. Unless someone writes in a soft cap hook or rewrites the mapserver then this is as good as you'll get because simply adjusting the int coefficient is too drastic.

I'm trying to make sure every single attack and skill is just where it should be and that includes boosts to weak classes. Aries would be proud of my giants :D

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Infact I find the idea pretty good and interresting. Though, its a huge step to just ditch %-stats since people are used to it and we know all rohan that way. Especially for UnityRohan it might be unneeded since the droptables are more adjustable, just let alone the digit behind the dot I added to %-stats. Furthermore, I've ditched lots of stats and changed the stat distribution plus all the skills I've remade and balanced which includes blunt mastery aswell.

Just as a sitenote, we/I came up with seven hero skills for each class/race, ditching the old ones completely. ;)

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Work in progress.

Just a quick vid featuring guardian and berserker with gear and strength with the new stat format. Fully buffed (all buffs 10% at level 7). Armour has the old max stats and pvp reduction hasn't been altered.

I quite like how my first run through the berserker skill set makes it almost equal dps during combo. Because giants are melee deficient I upped their crit power ratio slightly and increased their combo melee boost. Guards have more counters and defense available whereas the berserker is more vulnerable and becomes a glass cannon during combo time (loss of HP and pdef) but has increased movement speed and potentially higher crits (before a guardian can build os).

I'm under no illusion it's going to take a long time to balance all classes and skills along with gear/level scaling. However it's much easier to do this when you're not bogged down with over-inflating percentages all the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hm gonna see how the balancement turns out with the current new skillset and overall stat/gear changes. Maybe we could adapt that stat format of yours somewhen later if it doesnt go that well. ;o

Upvote 0
Back