• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

How to fully optimize your pc?

Reaction score
I just did a fresh reformat and realized it's been years since I've done any sort of editing to my system. What do you guys recommend is the must dos to your operating system?

Reaction score
The first thing i do is go and uninstall all of the windows features which i don't use:

- Games
- Indexing service
- Internet Explorer 9
- Media Features
- Print and document Services
- Tablet PC components
- windows Gadget platform
- Windows Search
- XPS Service

Then i always have CCleaner installed so i can run a registry scan after I've uninstalled everything.

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
i always have a thumb drive with all of the programs i need to reinstall when i do a clean of my system

i also have an external HDD to backup all my documents to monthly so i can clean my computer if anything happens so i have all my documents

but remove what Rish said and definitely get CCleaner, i use it everyday

Reaction score
i always have a thumb drive with all of the programs i need to reinstall when i do a clean of my system

i also have an external HDD to backup all my documents to monthly so i can clean my computer if anything happens so i have all my documents

but remove what Rish said and definitely get CCleaner, i use it everyday

I used to do that, but when i actually needed to use them there were already newer versions available. Nowadays i just download Firefox & CCleaner onto a flash drive before i format and then just install those first.

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
yea there are updates, but when i install them, most of them update anyway, but if i download the newer versions i just replace them at that time.

Reaction score
The first thing i do is go and uninstall all of the windows features which i don't use:

- Games
- Indexing service
- Internet Explorer 9
- Media Features
- Print and document Services
- Tablet PC components
- windows Gadget platform
- Windows Search
- XPS Service

Then i always have CCleaner installed so i can run a registry scan after I've uninstalled everything.

When you clean your registry after doing an uninstall does that simply clear any of the excess files left behind my the uninstall?

I've been using Security Essentials, CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
Use either MSSE or MWB, using them both is redundant. I don't even bother installing any anti virus at all, haven't had one installed for over 3 years, and never had an infection in that time either.

No they aren't the files left behind, they are the options and settings and file associations that were used by those programs. When you uninstall programs the registry entries stay in the database and just clog it up.

Reaction score
It re-arranges your data so that programs and files are kept together which reduces the seek time (since mechanical HDD heads only spin in 1 direction).

It's only really useful when your HDD has been used for a while, but it's part of regular maintenance which should be done every 2-3 months.

Don't use the windows one though, it's garbage. Use Defraggler by Piriform

Back