Is it illegal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
303
Reaction score
56
..to host a website providing links for torrents to download movies, music, etc? I was hoping to make some $$ on advertising through google and adfly and stuff. I was going to start a free website using an alias, and eventually start a .com and everything, using an offshore host of course, but I'm not trying to get into it if there's even close to a chance of being hunted down by the FBI or charged or something. I was going to keep everything in the dark relating to personal info but wasn't sure.
 
it's actually a long and complicated question but the simple fact is you don't go from alias, to dot com to offshore. Your priorities are wrong. Take into consideration the market, over saturation does not yield profits.
 
it's actually a long and complicated question but the simple fact is you don't go from alias, to dot com to offshore. Your priorities are wrong. Take into consideration the market, over saturation does not yield profits.

How do you mean, like I'd be rushing things, or it's the wrong way to do it, in terms of possible consequences? I'd love your suggestions, MentaL.
 
Right, you want to provide a linking service yet numerous sites exist ; ie (pirate bay) thus why bother. Torrents, rapid share, whatever. The market is so saturated its going to be IMPOSSIBLE for you to generate a userbase on a sub site alone , even on a dot com or offshore. Also, it's the worst time to be doing such websites especially with the RIAA on a power trip.
 
I think someone recently got extradited from the UK to the US because he hosted a linking service to copyrighted files, so I'd say it is illegal in the UK.

US wins extradition of British student over UK-based website — RT

I was going to post that, it was my cousins house mate too. The police came and confiscated all of his stuff, she was in the kitchen talking to an officer while it happened. Apparently the guy was making a load of cash from it and drove a BMW and had all the latest tech, so I really have no sympathy for the guy.

If you are trying to profit from copyright infringement, you have no right to be shocked when you go to jail.
 
I was going to post that, it was my cousins house mate too. The police came and confiscated all of his stuff, she was in the kitchen talking to an officer while it happened. Apparently the guy was making a load of cash from it and drove a BMW and had all the latest tech, so I really have no sympathy for the guy.

If you are trying to profit from copyright infringement, you have no right to be shocked when you go to jail.
That's odd, because the RT screen report said that Richard O'Dwyr was extradited because he linked torrent files from his student blog. Just stuff he thought people reading it may be interested in. :/: (I never read the site in question)

I understand his family are quite well off, and they have certainly thrown a lot of ca$h into fighting his extradition.

Providing a service which people use illegally isn't illegal, and I'm really not sure how the government has got the Pirate Bay block through court (that really annoys me) but if you offer a service of vetting the data people share I'm sure you will be accused of "aiding and abetting criminals", unless you specifically do a search to find out if any of the torrents you vet link to copyright infringing material, remove those which do and inform the copyright holder. ^_^

@Topic:
A 100% guaranteed piracy free Torrent site may indeed be a "unique selling point", but it would be an heck of a lot of work if you are going to have the amount of content required to attract business.
 
That's odd, because the RT screen report said that Richard O'Dwyr was extradited because he linked torrent files from his student blog. Just stuff he thought people reading it may be interested in. :/: (I never read the site in question)

I understand his family are quite well off, and they have certainly thrown a lot of ca$h into fighting his extradition.

Providing a service which people use illegally isn't illegal, and I'm really not sure how the government has got the Pirate Bay block through court (that really annoys me) but if you offer a service of vetting the data people share I'm sure you will be accused of "aiding and abetting criminals", unless you specifically do a search to find out if any of the torrents you vet link to copyright infringing material, remove those which do and inform the copyright holder. ^_^

@Topic:
A 100% guaranteed piracy free Torrent site may indeed be a "unique selling point", but it would be an heck of a lot of work if you are going to have the amount of content required to attract business.

BBC News - Richard O'Dwyer's extradition appeal date set

TVShack was one of the biggest linking sites, not a student blog. He was also probably an easy target. Making £100k+ from advertising on any site which involves content you personally don't own is somewhat risky. Even Youtube has had it's own fair share of issues. If you don't own if you shouldn't be making money from it, simple as that imo.
 
Well, it depends where you are. Some jurisdictions say it's not illegal as long as you don't host it on your servers, others say it is completely illegal and some say it warrants a lesser charge such as "assisting/enabling piracy". However, it doesn't really matter. Trust me buddy, if the right people want you convicted, it can happen pretty easily.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back