Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is this computer worth $400 ?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My video cards alone costs more than $500 :p
MOBO is about $350-450
2*CPU's about $150-200 each

And that's just the start of it. Of course most of those items are out dated now and prices of today just a fraction of them.

I've always built my own computers, never once had a store bought/OEM computer since I was 13.

that was like a few years back, and i got a crap load of deals like my intel dual core prossesor (RRP like £200 or something like that when it was new) and got it for £80 from an ebay bid xD

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
that was like a few years back, and i got a crap load of deals like my intel dual core prossesor (RRP like £200 or something like that when it was new) and got it for £80 from an ebay bid xD

You won't get a gaming pc able to run any modern title for <$700. It's going to cost minimum $1500. $2500 is much more comfortable.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I bought my parts apart on some site where you buy 2nd used parts. It's way cheaper and specially when you built it yourself ofc.

Normally you've to go tho them instead of shipping in case of and without warranty. I have all parts for around 2 years now, some parts changed such as: Exploded power supply, motherboard, graphics-card and all for 10% more. (10% more the price of the object.)

Reaction score
You won't get a gaming pc able to run any modern title for <$700. It's going to cost minimum $1500. $2500 is much more comfortable.

No need to go past $1500, that's all you need for a high-end gaming PC. Anything more than that is purely for bragging rights or benchmark enthusiasts.

My PC has an outdated Q6600, 4GB of Corsair Dominator RAM and an Ati 5850. Runs everything i throw at it on high settings perfectly on my 32" monitor @ 2560x1600. Using modern equivalents, it would cost less than $1000 to rebuild my PC.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No point in adding it to the PC you listed above. The CPU is not powerful enough to render at the 5870's maximum capability, so your PC will still lag in games even with that GFX card.

Epic fail... The CPU plays barely no part in a add-on card. The point of adding your own GFX card is to take rendering load OFF of the CPU.

As for people telling you AMD is poop and Intel is better, are the ones who are suckered into paying 3 times as much for basically the same die.

Go custom build, its cheaper, better quality, and really not all that hard to put together. Just make you add artic silver to the order because the packaged white paste is poop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Epic fail... The CPU plays barely no part in a add-on card. The point of adding your own GFX card is to take rendering load OFF of the CPU.

As for people telling you AMD is poop and Intel is better, are the ones who are suckered into paying 3 times as much for basically the same die.

Go custom build, its cheaper, better quality, and really not all that hard to put together. Just make you add artic silver to the order because the packaged white paste is poop.

Ahuh... Go play Crysis on a system with a Celeron CPU and a 5970 and then tell me what FPS you are getting. You are completely naive if you think that the GPU alone handles all of the graphics in a game.

EVERY SINGLE component in a PC is capable of creating a bottleneck within a system; From the HDD all the way to the PSU. If you have even half of the technical experience that you claim to have, you will know that.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sounds Nice ;D i wouldn't buy it. But it sounds like A ok computer from what i've heard.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ahuh... Go play Crysis on a system with a Celeron CPU and a 5970 and then tell me what FPS you are getting. You are completely naive if you think that the GPU alone handles all of the graphics in a game.

EVERY SINGLE component in a PC is capable of creating a bottleneck within a system; From the HDD all the way to the PSU. If you have even half of the technical experience that you claim to have, you will know that.

Indeed if he trys to play something outside of the system requirements it could become an issue. But as for anything within he shouldn't have no problems at all with high frame rates. Personally I wouldn't bother with the system because 1.6ghz don't meet the 2.6ghz recommended for any type of gaming. Then again if he decided to OC the system the bottleneck issue would disappear. But most likely its a OEM machine and all that will be locked in bios. To original poster I would recommend a bigger machine if your looking to do gaming on the system, the only place the machine you posted is falling behind is its cores are very slow, which wont damage your fps very much in games, but it will take a little bit of a hit and cause your games to do random freezes meanwhile the machine trys to catchup with itself, which will cause fps spikes. If you just want it for an extra computer for basic everyday needs then its perfectly fine.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Honestly sounds great, go for it. The specs are worth the 400 bucks.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I don't think it's worth $400

AMD Athlon II X2 dual-core 250u processor
$59

4GB DDR2 system memory (expandable to 8GB)
$60

640GB SATA hard drive
$65

SuperMulti DVD Burner
$20

10/100 Ethernet
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE integrated graphics
$40

Total:$244 without case($20), without crap power supply ($20)
It might also come with a cheap keyboard/mouse ($20)

Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's worth $400

AMD Athlon II X2 dual-core 250u processor
$59

4GB DDR2 system memory (expandable to 8GB)
$60

640GB SATA hard drive
$65

SuperMulti DVD Burner
$20

10/100 Ethernet
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE integrated graphics
$40

Total:$244 without case($20), without crap power supply ($20)
It might also come with a cheap keyboard/mouse ($20)

You forget.

He's most likely getting it from an OEM which means it'll most likely come with an OS preinstalled which is another $50-100 depending on OS.

Then you're also paying for it to be pre-assembled, which would most likely cost you another $50-100+ at any normal computer repair shop.

So yes, it is worth it when buying from a basic OEM.

It's only cheaper when you know how to build your own computers and buy the parts separately.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
my laptop is a little bit better and i mean tiny bit and it was £570 so i think you should get if you got enuff take alook at the setup i coppyed search swifty it will be like wow but it avery nice setup if you have enuff for it

Back