Is Visual Basic 2005 Worth It?

I first learned programming using my TI-83+, not very good programming with those Goto commands... I did very few things with that.

At school, I first learnt Java, then we went to C++ and then VB.Net. Lots of people will say Java is a good first language to learn and they're probably right. Starting with VB? Just... no... bad idea. Where I'm working right now we're coding in Access 2000... that's VBA... and it's not very good for my brain... having problems when I'm trying to do OOP when I'm home...

We went on some code two people were working on, they tried doing OOP in access 2000... and what they did was horrible... I'm not saying it's impossible to do OOP, but I'm not going to try it...


Oh BTW, Microsoft's newest Visual Studio code named Orcas has VB9 support. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0008-4dd6-9ed1-47d482683c78&displaylang=en&tm
 
.. I resent that ;)

lol


If you read my profile, back when I was really really young I had pretty much mastered ever yin adn out of !-Basic.. the standard 'first' for most programming languages through DOS.. I havent touched it much since.. because I can tell you, ti is a VERY blunt way of coding.. not many fine ways around things.. but it was definatly a start :-)
 
I learned VB.NET as my first language. I'm learning C++ on my own right now, gonna take AP Comp programming next year at school (It's just Java) and asm this summer.

I think that my experience in VB isn't really affecting the way I'm learning the other stuff. I mean, I'm picking everything up well and as far as I can tell, my code is fairly efficient. But then again, I'm not too far into C++, and I haven't started Java or asm yet, so I dunno.
 
I think that my experience in VB isn't really affecting the way I'm learning the other stuff. I mean, I'm picking everything up well and as far as I can tell, my code is fairly efficient. But then again, I'm not too far into C++, and I haven't started Java or asm yet, so I dunno.
You're lucky. I hope you've really "unlearned" everything about VB instead of deluding yourself that you are.
 
Back