Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Metal makes you clever

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Heavy metal is the preserve of knuckle-dragging simpletons, right? Of delinquent Beavises and monosyllabic Butt-heads; people for whom making the sign of the devil's horns was the point of evolving an opposable thumb?Wrong, according to a study presented this week to the British Psychological Society Conference. Warwick University's Stuart Cadwallader, who carried out the study, says some of the brightest young people in Britain like nothing more than a monster riff to unwind to after a hard day of being a chess prodigy. The study found that one third of their sample - drawn from members of the National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth, or Nagty - rated metal among their favourite genres of music, ahead of classical and jazz, two complex genres long thought to be the sound of choice for brainiacs.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I first read the title as "[user]MentaL[/user] makes you clever" :icon6:

I listen to that and a lot of other kinds of music too... for the same reasons as the article stated.

In other news, fire is hot and ice is cold.

edit: just noticed this in MentaL's profile:
MentaL said:
My music of choice is metal,

Reaction score
so true this part

devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

i actually started listening to Iron Maiden , but well i dont like AC/DC neither Man o war :p

but i actually went through a few stages , Punk , Metal , Gothic - Drum'n'bass and ended in Easy Listening

Metal as in Heavy metal , not trash metal hard metal , black metal etc etc i do love those riffs :p

Legendary Trio - Chocolate Rain
Legend
Reaction score
hehehe

classic rock is also said to improve your short term memory.

I first read the title as "[user]MentaL[/user] makes you clever" :icon6:

I listen to that and a lot of other kinds of music too... for the same reasons as the article stated.

In other news, fire is hot and ice is cold.

edit: just noticed this in MentaL's profile:

WB username1 good to see you un-banned ^_^

Rulling San d'Oria!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Getting outta work and putting in the CD player of my car Machine Head at full blast is the best thing i can have in the end of a days work :thumbsup:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wish I would've seen this article earlier so I could've used it for a scholarship essay. :tongue:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wow thats surprising. I'm pretty smart if i do say so myself and i personally am not a huge fan of Metal. Theres a few songs i'll lsiten to that i like but as a whole metal doesn't appeal to me.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
thats wierd, at my age im in the top set for everything and getting A's and some A*'s and i love the metal lol

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, considering the frequency of spelling mistakes he managed to put into a sentence as small as that I am wondering wether he really is as intelligent as he claims to be.

Ow, and old news this, after all most people you meet at metal festivals are rather smart.. Or at least, most I tend to meet.. :icon6:

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
And now everyone is hitting next in winamp until a metal song starts playing... :rolleyes:

Listening to metal doesn't make you any smarter and if you do listen to it, it doesn't say anything about your intelligence. Sure, one-third of the most gifted might favor metal, but that's not such a big number if you think about it. I'm sure half of them like ice-cream, too, but it's not the ice-cream that does it. And if you look at it to the other direction, I'm pretty sure percentually among metal people there aren't many more geniuses than there are among the ice-cream likers.

That research over there, nothing but representing numbers in a way that makes the target sound big. My recent study says 100% of world's geniuses are human beings! Whoa.. don't I just feel smarter already knowing this!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
or maybe ex is forgetting stupid things and only remembering clever things. (is that wisdom)

duck you, I'm a dragon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the fact that metal makes you smart. As intelligence is determined by a millions of genetic characteristics. I rather think that smart people can appreciate metal more because it is one of the most complicated music genres.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I would of gone with classical music, everyone i know who listens to mainly classical music has double my IQ.

Reaction score
I seriously doubt the fact that metal makes you smart. As intelligence is determined by a millions of genetic characteristics. I rather think that smart people can appreciate metal more because it is one of the most complicated music genres.

Actually, intelligence is determined primarily by:

1) Biology (As you mentioned, genetic characteristics)

2) But also your social environment. I remember a study a group of scientists did a while back regarding classical music and human beings. It showed that if you played classical music to a baby, it is more likely to be a high achiever later in life, get better marks in school, etc. They said it stimulates the brain at early ages.

I'm sure the same could go for metal.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
all i know is metal is the best music, wether it makes me clever or stupid

Back