• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[MMORPG] Java; Days of Destiny

Dead & gone...
Reaction score
[MMORPG] Days of Destiny - looking for GUI Artists, Devs & Graphics Artists!!!

So, for the past few months a few others and I have been working on a game called Days of Destiny. (You may have seen recruitment posts for it littered throughout the net, posted before it was started)

What is "Days of Destiny"?
In a nutshell, Days of Destiny is/will be a 2D MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game). It's set in a post-apocalyptic world where the fires and hardships of armageddon have concluded and the world is being completely re-built anew.
The world is a 2D top-down view of tiled maps, while combat and specific other parts of the game will also be 2D, but side-on.
The basic concepts are similar to many other MMORPGs (for what is an MMO without levelling, stats, equipment and the like?!) however we hope that once they have been completed we can move onto exciting, original ideas which are still being explored, discussed and for the time being, a secret.

Technological Details
Days of Destiny is a game completely developed in the Java programming language (both the client and server).
It uses OpenGL for rendering, with LWJGL (LightWeight Java Game Library) as the wrapper around it.
The GUI is handled by TWL (themable widget library) which is written by our very own MatthiasM.
Networking uses the KryoNet library.
Database storage is implemented via MySQL, and when an official website for the game is written, it will be in PHP.

Snapshot of the game so far:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zAUhn8cxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zAUhn8cxE[/ame]
Please take a look!

Interested in joining the project?!
GUI Artist: This spot is currently vacant, and we *really* need someone to fill it up! If you're decent with graphics and user interfaces, please contact us if you're willing to join!

Java Programmers: While there are currently a sufficient number of developers, a few more wouldn't hurt.
Requirements:
- Dedication to the project (minimum: a few hours a week)
- Java programming experience (minimum: 2 years)
- Game programming experience (minimum: a few small games)
- Not necessary, but would really help: experience with databases (especially MySQL), or any of the libraries listed above

Graphics Artists/Pixel Artists: Must have decent experience with graphics.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN, AND BELIEVE YOU FULFIL THE REQUIREMENTS LISTED, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO quasar.exe (at) hotmail.com

Current Team Members
- Quasar (myself) - Project Leader, Developer
- MatthiasM - Developer, GUI Developer
- Json - Developer
- Ken - Developer
- Fuji - Graphics Artist
- Staffcarguy - Graphics Artist
- Stava - Pixel Artist
- Phantom - Pixel Artist
- Tendency - Pixel Artist

Last edited:
offonline
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would remove the "ps" if I were you, to avoid this becomes another flame thread.

I would join, but my java experince is to low.

Goodluck :):

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The login page does look pretty good, but the sprites in game look a lot like RPG Maker XP.

Dead & gone...
Reaction score
The sprites are custom-made, btw :p While they might not be top quality, I'm satisfied with them for now :)

The screenshots don't show it, but all the basic networking has been pretty much completed.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The sprites are custom-made, btw :p While they might not be top quality, I'm satisfied with them for now :)

The screenshots don't show it, but all the basic networking has been pretty much completed.

Maybe you didn't get what I meant, go run that on a 300MHz machine running windows 3.1 =).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't get what I meant, go run that on a 300MHz machine running windows 3.1 =).

Usually I agree with what you're saying because you are definitely reputable, but Windows 3.1 was pretty much over by 1994, and last I checked the Intel P54C could only clock about 100MHz stock by that time, and overclocking to 300MHz was unimaginable. Usually when you debase someone you remain technologically correct.

So unless you installed 3.1 on a machine that was clocked at 300MHz, which I would consider as pointless as myself installing Windows 2000 Professional on a modern machine, your computer is pretty much a fantasy.

And who would code a sprite engine in BASIC? Considering you constantly nagged on Quasar to not use Java to do this task, now you go and hypocritically (albeit hypothetically) say you used BASIC for sprite engines, where some form of C would have been better suited and better performing.

Quasar, considering this thread is about your game development, I would like to offer some advice.

As you will now be realizing, your code will be getting larger and larger, and therefore it becomes more necessary to not only to document or keep track of it, but to simplify it and streamline it as much as possible. This is something I learned the hard way early on. I'd build large projects only to go back into 'old' code and realize how stupidly it was done considering the expansions I added. So try to simplify and streamline your classes while the project is still relatively small, it will pay off massively in the future.

I wish you luck in the future of your project. Just maintain momentum and you should have a fairly playable game soon.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Usually I agree with what you're saying because you are definitely reputable, but Windows 3.1 was pretty much over by 1994, and last I checked the Intel P54C could only clock about 100MHz stock by that time, and overclocking to 300MHz was unimaginable. Usually when you debase someone you remain technologically correct.

So unless you installed 3.1 on a machine that was clocked at 300MHz, which I would consider as pointless as myself installing Windows 2000 Professional on a modern machine, your computer is pretty much a fantasy.

And who would code a sprite engine in BASIC? Considering you constantly nagged on Quasar to not use Java to do this task, now you go and hypocritically (albeit hypothetically) say you used BASIC for sprite engines, where some form of C would have been better suited and better performing.

Quasar, considering this thread is about your game development, I would like to offer some advice.

As you will now be realizing, your code will be getting larger and larger, and therefore it becomes more necessary to not only to document or keep track of it, but to simplify it and streamline it as much as possible. This is something I learned the hard way early on. I'd build large projects only to go back into 'old' code and realize how stupidly it was done considering the expansions I added. So try to simplify and streamline your classes while the project is still relatively small, it will pay off massively in the future.

I wish you luck in the future of your project. Just maintain momentum and you should have a fairly playable game soon.

I was struggling with the number. We had an IBM PC, I couldn't remember the hertz (dude that was a LONG time ago and a LOT of PCs ago). It was either 133MHz or 3xx MHz. I guess our win95 machine was the 3xx.

Also, at the time I was like 8-10 yrs old. I was in class one day and I found a "game programming in BASIC" book sitting on the bookshelf, it was orange, and my teacher noticed me reading it and she said I could have it since nobody ever read it, so I took it home and learned the very basic, basics, of basic. My dad helped me learn more and then I downloaded some sources for sprite games written in BASIC (I wanted to make a zelda-like scroller), looked at how they did things and made my own renderer loosely based on what I read, it was cool, not much more advanced than what those screenshots above show, in terms of completeness, but I thought it was fun. Seriously though, it did look better than that crap, so I kinda giggled when I thought about it.

So my first language, quite a while before I learned C/C++, so step off witch :D.

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I was struggling with the number. We had an IBM PC, I couldn't remember the hertz (dude that was a LONG time ago and a LOT of PCs ago). It was either 133MHz or 3xx MHz. I guess our win95 machine was the 3xx...
Dude, whatever you said in this thread is exceptionally off-topic, even for you...

edit: Oh, just noticed the P.S. thing. Yeah, don't know what that was about...

Last edited:
Super Mexican
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The in game graphics leaves a bit to be desired, but I know it's not far along.

That aside, the log in screen is way out of it's league!
The log in screen alone would make me download it :D

Mother effin' clouds
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The login page does look pretty good, but the sprites in game look a lot like RPG Maker XP.

I couldn't agree more :p The login page is definitely intriguing until the actual in-game sprites, seems like some Pokemon online. Just saying. Well good luck!

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
:eek:
that login window is teh pro.

This just inspired me to change the login screen on FS. lol...

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The login screen is well done, if a bit cliché. I can think of at least 5 games over the past few years that had a login screen of a planet with some kind of solar lighting in the background. The good ones are rotating etc, this looks like it's probably static.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The login screen is well done, if a bit cliché. I can think of at least 5 games over the past few years that had a login screen of a planet with some kind of solar lighting in the background. The good ones are rotating etc, this looks like it's probably static.

GIF much?

Back