[PHP] The Social Network

Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
96
I want to create a small social networking website for a bunch of friends, and anyone else who wants to join. I wanted it just for my friends at first, but obviously they'd be pretty bored if it only had us, so I want to make it bigger than that slowly.

I will slowly work on developing this, and no, Trasion Forum Software did not go to waste. It will most likely be integrated into this.

Here are some features that I'm thinking of including:

  • Profile Customization - Be able to move things around on your profile (possibly using AJAX), and change the layout (I'll make different layouts that they can use, and they can pick which one they want), and can pick their own background, or use the default.
  • Friends - You can add or remove friends, and talk to them. Friends will be displayed on your profile.
  • Profile Picture - You will be able to upload a profile picture that will be shown on your profile.
  • Albums and Photos - You can upload and tag pictures, and also be able to rate and comment on them.
  • Status Updates - You will be able to update your status and it will be viewable by other members.
  • Control Panel (Settings) - You will be able to have a full control panel where you can manage your friends, edit your status, move things around, change your themes, etc.
  • Security Number - When you register, you must create a security number (an 8 digit code), and will need to know it to be able to change some settings in your control panel (not to be mixed up with a password).
  • Parental Controls - Parents will be able to setup kids profiles, and keep the security number a secret from their child, so that their child can not change certain things on their profile (therefore keeping them more safe).
  • Censored Words - In your control panel you can set which words get censored out (if "Ass" was on your list, if anyone used that word, it would be changed to "***"), this will also make it easier for parents to make sure that their children don't learn bad words.
  • Profile Commenting - You can leave people visitor messages on their profile, and they can reply to them.
  • Networking - Anyone can make a network. When you create a network, other people can join it and you can make a page for it, and have discussions, share photos, etc.
  • Private Messaging - You will be able to send private messages to other members.
  • Calendars - Each member will have a calendar in their profile, and in their control panel they can add events to it, to let everyone else know what their plans are.
  • Privacy - You will be able to change who can view your profile (again, you will need to enter your security number to do this), so it can be only your friends, only your network, network and friends, or everybody.
I have many other ideas that I will be adding when I get a team together, and start developing.

Right now it's just a rough draft, and nothing has been done yet. It will also have an attached forum for discussions.

Would anyone be interested?

I don't expect this to be huge. It would just be a great experience for me, and maybe it could be the next new trend.
 
Last edited:
Well i dont wanna flame but it'll be just like facebook (especially with the ajax) But i think it's a great idea to do with a bunch of friends! I suggest to add some sort of profile that the user can change him self. Why not enable some sort of html and css system so that users can make there site look like they want?
Anyway best of luck!
 
All I can say is good luck, lol.
 
I'll throw in a voucher (for Mike!) for WysGui Evolution.

That'll cover the rank-based control panel system (for regular guests, users, or even moderators and of course, Administrators.) Also covers the custom web-page creation for users.. (HTML/CSS).. User's don't have friends yet.. But I've built a messenger, friends-list, and profiles in a few previous systems. I'm sure it won't be too hard, and it's certainly valuable to have as a WysGui Module set. Might even add it to the framework :)

Which brings up, all of these features are built with the new Evolution framework so are brand new, using my latest efficiency and MySQL knowledge to create this modular system. Best of all, custom PHP code STILL DOES NOT NEED to be influenced by the framework. Procedural code is welcomed just as much as framework-specific code. As always, things like PhpMail, CkEditor (or almost any web-WYSIWYG), and many other third party frameworks and systems work great along-side WysGui, so it's perfectly customizable- it's even possible (in the future) for users to all have different editors.. To make it simple:
If WordPress is a variable, WysGui Evolution is an array.

Complete and ready for use.

For proprietary and 100% guarantee on compatibility, I'd want to host it (or host your own private hosting account giving you full [me limited] access).

Talk to me on msn and we can chat about it ;)

Sign up at http://www.best-web-cms.com/ for an example
 
Last edited:
Well i dont wanna flame but it'll be just like facebook (especially with the ajax) But i think it's a great idea to do with a bunch of friends! I suggest to add some sort of profile that the user can change him self. Why not enable some sort of html and css system so that users can make there site look like they want?
Anyway best of luck!

There are a tonne of flaws in Facebook, which Mike could quite easily patch up. I hate to break it to him, but it's not even gonna get close to Facebook in terms of size or quality, but he's got a damn good shot at trying.
 
There are a tonne of flaws in Facebook, which Mike could quite easily patch up. I hate to break it to him, but it's not even gonna get close to Facebook in terms of size or quality, but he's got a damn good shot at trying.

I don't expect to. I want to create a nice social networking site for people around this area, and other people who may want to join.
 
Will this be released Mike? If it's only used for your site why don't you integrate forums in it?

Good luck with this Mike! Hope to hear some progress reports soon. :P
 
Good look with this sounds good but it will be hard to maintain if it takes off :D
 
"I don't expect this to be huge. It would just be a great experience for me, and maybe it could be the next new trend. "

Thats what gave me motivation to start mine. About 5% done lol.

I did status updates like on facebook, with like and dislike, if you want the code..
 
I've done something like this before for a client.

There's quite a lot of work you would need to do, and it'll never get very popular, unfortunately :(
 
Last edited:
Well the guy who made facebook did it in his college dorm.. so you can't say it'll never get very popular, but it is alot of work.
 
Well the guy who made facebook did it in his college dorm.. so you can't say it'll never get very popular, but it is alot of work.

There's too much competition now, whereas it was the only one of its kind at the time.

Facebook have invested millions in itself.
 
That's true. And the guy must have been rich and was able to spend a lot on advertisement.

Actually, time is also an investment in these cases. Usually when the marketing and advertising is done properly it takes about +/- 7 years before a product really hits the market as an every day product.
 
Actually, time is also an investment in these cases. Usually when the marketing and advertising is done properly it takes about +/- 7 years before a product really hits the market as an every day product.

Thats true, which makes me believe when people say "Oh he made facebook when he was in college, hes so cool to do it then" really isn't true. He most likely just had his friends and his friends friends. Like you said though, in +/- 7 years, it became a hit.

Either way, @Thread Starter, I wish you the best of luck and I'd like to help in any way possible.
 
I've always dreamed of creating something like this, i only managed to use free pre-made softwares, and modifying them from there, but it wasn't as near as good as Facebook or any other social networking website. Good luck, you never know... yours could become something big.
 
Back