• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Picking a laptop

Reaction score
Ok guys so I'm officially getting a laptop for christmas and I need some help getting the best bang for the buck.
Things I need in this laptop
~Long battery life
~14" screen
~Under $900
~Long warranty
~Preferably a dedicated graphic card because this will be my new main machine(I can settle for HD 4000)

So far the one that I found to be the best bang for the buck is the lenovo y410p
Link :
its $830 with 3 year warranty and its pretty beast

So yeah just leave some suggestions below, help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Re: [Official] Picking a laptop

+1 on the ideapad. I have a y500 and also currently use it as my main system. The 750m in the model you linked will be more than enough to push out games on decent settings on your laptop's native resolution. I looked everywhere and I really couldn't find a better deal than the Ideapad Y series.

I have a y500 with SLI 650m's, core i7 and 12gb ram; plays most games @ 1920x1080 with 50 to 60fps on average. If you spend the extra money to get a SLI model you wont be disappointed.

Reaction score

+1 on the ideapad. I have a y500 and also currently use it as my main system. The 750m in the model you linked will be more than enough to push out games on decent settings on your laptop's native resolution. I looked everywhere and I really couldn't find a better deal than the Ideapad Y series.

I have a y500 with SLI 650m's, core i7 and 12gb ram; plays most games @ 1920x1080 with 50 to 60fps on average. If you spend the extra money to get a SLI model you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the quick reply Ron, my only concern that's turning me away from this laptop is battery life.
I might need to take the laptop into school for taking notes. Since you own the y500, around how many hours
are you able to get with just movie watching or general internet browsing?

Reaction score

Depends on your settings. They are obviously gaming laptops so you're not going to get amazing battery life.. thats just the price you pay for getting a gaming laptop.

Honestly I rarely unplug mine. I got a laptop to be able to take it with me wherever I'm staying to work, but it would always be near a plug. The last time I left it off the charger from 100% battery, it lasted about 4 hours before getting to 5% running audio/video to a TV via HDMI. If you leave the backlit keyboard off and dim your screen you should easily be able to get the 5 hour battery life rating. The SLI models disable your second video card when unplugged to preserve power.

Though again this was running HD video for over 3 straight hours (back to back movies) to a 1080p display. With the smaller screen you'll definitely get 4 to 5 hours without having to play with power settings.

Reaction score

It definitely has some good specs on it.
I recently bought a laptop myself (for gaming) since i'm moving out of my parental home next year. So I wanted to have the ability to play my games at both places for a while.

What I got was actually more expensive than your budget (it cost me about $1200) and these are my specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ
Memory: 8,00GB DDR3 RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB
HDD: #1 500GB HDD (7200 rpm) #2 120GB SSD
Input: Steelseries Gaming Keyboard / Touchpad
Screen: 15" (1920x1080)

So far from what I've tested with this thing I'm able to run most games I play well.
And like Ron said, if you purchase a gaming laptop you can hardly expect to be gaming unplugged for very long.
I also have my laptop plugged in most of the time and only take it out when I'm chilling on them sofa's ^_^

Reaction score

Do you guys buy warranty on your laptops?

Always. Too much of an investment not to. I don't usually buy warranties on desktop parts because you can easily replace parts... usually I prefer doing that than going through a long RMA or trying to claim a warranty. Laptops you usually can't do much with yourself so I always recommend warranties and extended warranties on laptops.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

It definitely has some good specs on it.
I recently bought a laptop myself (for gaming) since i'm moving out of my parental home next year. So I wanted to have the ability to play my games at both places for a while.

What I got was actually more expensive than your budget (it cost me about $1200) and these are my specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ
Memory: 8,00GB DDR3 RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB
HDD: #1 500GB HDD (7200 rpm) #2 120GB SSD
Input: Steelseries Gaming Keyboard / Touchpad
Screen: 15" (1920x1080)

So far from what I've tested with this thing I'm able to run most games I play well.
And like Ron said, if you purchase a gaming laptop you can hardly expect to be gaming unplugged for very long.
I also have my laptop plugged in most of the time and only take it out when I'm chilling on them sofa's ^_^
that was a damn good laptop with new generation of i7 .... graphic card if with GTX that will be super .... hybrid hard disk super for software making...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I recommend Asus laptops they last a very long time and barely damage.

SPECIFICATIONS
DISPLAY 15.6" HD Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
CPU / PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Duo Core Processor (3M Cache, 1.70GHz - 2.60GHZ) 17W
GRAPHICS / VIDEO CARD Intel HD Graphics 4000
SYSTEM MEMORY (RAM)

6GB (2 + 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE 750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (With 24GB SSD)
OPTICAL DRIVE SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW
WEBCAM Integrated HD Webcam / Integrated Microphone
KEYBOARD Chiclet Style Standard Notebook Keyboard
AUDIO Altec Lansing speakers
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 8
COLOR Black and Aluminum
MICROPHONE / HEADPHONE JACKS Microphone Port In, Headphone Port Out

PORTS / CARD READER
Multi-Media Card Reader

USB / FIREWIRE PORTS
1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0
ETHERNET PORTS 1 x RJ-45(Lan)