Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

PW Dev beginner/newbie.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First of all i would like to apologise if i posted in the wrong section.
I been a PW player ever since its launch kinda grew with this MMO,i did quit it for a good few years but then nostalgia hit me and i see a lot of private servers around but iam not a huge fan of all those custom things and gear scripting or skill sender and what else people use.
I have no knowlage about developing a server from 0,but i do want to make a server for a few friends that are willing to help out in this "testing ground" iam just trying to re-create that nostalgia that some of us crave for.

I have few questions if anyone is kind enough to explain them to me;
-To open a server do i need a VPS or a Dedicated server?
-Are those files around forum safe?
-What are the req to run the server with all maps open?(lets say 1.5.5)
-What OS is best to run a PW server?
-I keep seeing this Angelica software around,how do i acquire it?
Thank you in advance!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
If you truly are 100% new to the scene and have zero knowledge and practice don't even look at a VPS or Dedi Server yet, you will be throwing your money away much like I did when I first started.

Do yourself a favor and start with a super easy to follow guide or "pre-built" package ( LIKE THIS ONE HERE! ) and that will get you rolling with the base of what you are looking to do.

Always lean on the side of caution when it comes to downloading files from the internet however a good portion of the files you find here are safe. does not hurt to check them if they have checksums available or with some sort of anti virus however I know a lot of the older tools and files for the game came up as a false positive. I do not know if this is still the case with the newer stuff...

Running a server with all maps open for version 1.5.5 for say 5 people test server wise. I would not attempt with less than 16gb of ram however that is just me, this game LOVES its memory so the more the better. I do not see a lot of servers running all maps open anymore because of the rec. memory amount for a larger player count.

anything Unix based really. the link I gave you suggests Ubuntu however if you are smart enough to read into it you can get a server running on virtually any OS (ubuntu, debian, centos, etc... forget about windows)\

The game is built on the Angelica Game Engine which would be what the Angelica stuff you keep seeing around is. It is all leaked source code that requires some fixing to compile to an actual functioning tool which is something I personally have not figured out yet but it is there to play around with if you can figure it out.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello Fluzzy first i apologise for the very late reply been busy with rl.
Thank you so much for all the info,yes iam aware of those pre-setup machines what i wanted to learn is how to crate a server from scratch with clean files using a VPN (i kinda got it for free from a friend who has no use for it and doesn't wanna let the one year payment ahead for nothing)
I assume those pre-stup servers cannot be used with a VPS? (unless you can transfer em with WinCSP and run the commands?)

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hello Fluzzy first i apologise for the very late reply been busy with rl.
Thank you so much for all the info,yes iam aware of those pre-setup machines what i wanted to learn is how to crate a server from scratch with clean files using a VPN (i kinda got it for free from a friend who has no use for it and doesn't wanna let the one year payment ahead for nothing)
I assume those pre-stup servers cannot be used with a VPS? (unless you can transfer em with WinCSP and run the commands?)

So for example if you want to setup a machine completely from scratch for the server and all that fun stuff there is plenty of guide on the forum on how to do so (EXAMPLE FOR 1.5.1) it has not really changed too much between version but it does take some playing around to get working. This is my personal favorite way of doing things because I know exactly what's being done and what's being put where. (Just remember commands change between OS distros as well as what some dependencies are called)

Pre-Setup servers can totally be installed on a VPS providing you have access to being able to upload the files whether that is unpacking an iso and uploading via FTP or mounting an ISO to the machine. again tutorials are found here just gotta do some digging.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
To be honest, the "hardest part" is (almost always) the "networking". If you do not understand networking, you're going to have a massive up-hill battle! That's why I also made this thread ~ https://forum.ragezone.com/threads/...rking-tcp-ip-hosting-101.709746/#post-6038760

But if you do understand networking, then you've already won about THREE quarters of the battle! I also don't mean to toot my own horn here but, the networking aspect is super simple in my release. So simple that during "setup" it will ask you your LAN and WAN IP addresses and/or domain names (respectively)! Also, if they ever change, all you have to do is (re)run /root/setup/ipset.sh

I honestly could not even tell you all the places one would have to manually configure networking/IP/domain names any longer, since I have (for the most part) automated it in my release ;) I could say, there's networking "config" for just about every game daemon there is, web server (HTTPD), tomcat/jakarta, and (again) I cannot even remember/think of all the different places you'd have to manually configure the networking.

The only part where my release would be "tricky" on the networking (that I can think of offhand) would be with tomcat; I have it set to ONLY accept connections from LAN. So if you installed on a remote server (VPS for example), you'd have to either be VPN'd in (or SSH'd), or alter the file that prevents WAN access (and if you went that route my recommendation would be to manually add your IP rather than simply removing the block (so that ONLY YOU can access pwAdmin))... .. .

I have few questions if anyone is kind enough to explain them to me;
-To open a server do i need a VPS or a Dedicated server?
-Are those files around forum safe?
-What are the req to run the server with all maps open?(lets say 1.5.5)
-What OS is best to run a PW server?
-I keep seeing this Angelica software around,how do i acquire it?
Thank you in advance!
(in order)
- Dedicated ~ but, if you have access to a "free" VPS, use it, why not... You (likely) just will not be able to run a full server (only a few maps open at a time for example)!
- I haven't had any problems with any files from here (IIRC)
Sorry Fluzzy, I am going to have to disagree, I do not think 16GB would be adequate for v155, MAYBE 32GB as a bare-bones-minimum [but really, I say 64GB for 155] 16GB was more like v141 or below

BARE Minimums (IMHO):
141 or - = 16GB
142 up to 15x = 32GB
15x or + = 64GB

and RAM is "cheap enough" I'd really recommend double those numbers!
141 or - = 32GB
142 up to 15x = 64GB
15x or + = 128GB

So you're DEFINITELY correct when you said "this game LOVES its memory so the more the better" ~ you got that right!!! !! !
- the RAM "requirements" are quite high, especially for "all maps" for something as high as v155. I personally would recommend NO less than 64GB of RAM for v155 - also, the more players you have or plan on having will require even more RAM (BTW). So for a "small" server (like for yourself and friends) 64GB would probably work OK. But if you wanted larger numbers that number could easily and quickly "double" (128GB)!!! IMHO RAM is probably the "most important" specification too, as just about any modern CPU is likely going to be more than adequate for a PW server... .. . If you wanted to run a "really BIG server", you'd even need more than one server. Depending on how big the playerbase was, you'd need one physical dedicated server PER game "daemon" and even up to one physical dedicated machine PER MAP! Though it is of my experience that most people don't plan on running a server with 10,000 people constantly on (most just want a small server for family/friends to tinker on)... .. .
- Honestly, RHEL/CentOS, but if you're a "n00b" there's nothing wrong with using Ubuntu (server version OFC) - this is why I made my release specifically for Ubuntu (as it's more "newb" friendly as an OS)! But yes, pretty much ANY "flavor" of Linux will (can) work!
- (as already answered) Angelica is the games engine...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back