Question About Debian/Ubuntu

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello.

someone could make a server in ubuntu/debian???

need some help with the service i cant start it

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Debian based linux distributions do work but the install process is slightly different. The biggest difference is that you have to use the "alien" command to convert the rpm file to a .deb file so you can install it.

What happens when trying to start the service?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
is it a working option if you open (extract) the rpm file via tools like salamander in windows, then just patch over in linux? i wonder if the rpm command simply extracts and not do anything else because it would save others from additional hassle.

Upvote 0
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The rpm creates the "cabal" user and creates some symbolic links for the services too. You can set it up manually it just adds a little extra work. The best reason for using the rpm first is that you get the dependency check when installing it, if we didn't have that we would get lots of much weirder errors reported when trying to start the services ;)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well i have some erroros with "initlog" when i start the service.... in fuctions (/etc/init.d/fuctions) and debian no have runlevel like redhat is too much diferent...

any body can do it?? make one server in ubuntu?

Upvote 0
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have heard of a few people that have done it but as the cabal server is designed for redhat based linux it will be harder to make work and more linux knowledge would be needed. Personally i recommend centos 4.6 only and if you install my way only CD1 and CD2 are needed too.

Upvote 0
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once tried installing on Ubuntu, but it doesn't like installing the converted cabal.rpm. It IS possible, like chumpy said, but it's a lot of hassle. CentOS 4.5/4.6 works straight out of the box.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well in ubuntu you can use rpm files no only with alien. alien just convert .rpm to .deb (with errors xD)

you can use rpm command like centOS
just "sudo apt-get install rpm" and you can install it

i no have problem with the instalation, problem appear when you try run the service...

and what about fedora????? any body can do it?????
CentOS is SOOOOOOOO UGLY xD i need one good server for my devolement

Upvote 0
Back