[Question]Release of Server Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you incorporate a couple of bugs like the Kiki source so that leetchers wont be able to just blind compile it? But this can also lead to someone actually compiling it and posting the .exe. Because seriously I find it funny people that don't try to learn C++ im currently following the tuts that Frost posted and I've learned A LOT so far.
 
*no time to read all topics, will just give my opinion*
For me, it would be great to have a source with more things then just KiKi's source(it have a lot thought). I wanted to study about it(I can programer, Im not THHAAAAT good but Im somewhat of good, I learn fast). And, I have a fansite of flyff, I just made layout and helped a friend that made all texts inside it and, one thing that would be great and we are plainning to do is to simulate all jobs leveling around madrigal and dungeons to post a feed back of all classes on it. Caalis files arent that good to test this(AoE kind of sucks, block dont work great and such).
 
Leecher, as in wait for the files to get released, take em' then wait for the next release and so on'

99% of those leechers wouldn't be able to compile it anyways.

I'd say release them... And the world is the way it is. There will always be 'those' kind of leechers, but some take time to actually learn how to make there own. All it takes is for them to get a little push and help instead of being insulted every time they ask a question. If some of the people here started helping others that ask for help instead of having the thread spammed with "OMG SEARCH NOOB" or w.e, then you'd make them feel more comfortable here. Thus they'll be more interested in learning more. The more interested they are the better and faster they'll learn. And in no time you'd have a decent flyff section with a bunch of dev's, old and new all helping each other to make one great server.

But the way things are now, most people are basically telling others to **** off with some of there posts. Just because someone is new and doesn't know much doesn't mean they are a leecher. They may already have the desire to start learning. But with the way most people around here post they scare off these new people, or the new people just say **** it and take the already released stuff and claims it his.


And the few that do actually help each other out here are the ones that have been here longer and know each other a bit more. Making it a tight nit group that only help each other and not the new people that also need help.

I haven't been here that long, but I've been here long enough to know how most people are and what to expect when I see their name on the latest post by area of each thread. And I've seen quite a few posts from people that are just down right ridiculously rude just to someone that didn't know much about private servers. I was lucky and didn't get to many rude posts when I first came here. The first question I asked I actually got a few straight forward answers, one being from FrostElite. That's the way things should be, not telling everyone to go use the search button and not helping them the slightest. Trust me, these aren'tt the first forums I've been to and I've been on a few for 2 years + and have seen my fair share of annoying threads of the same subject because of someone not searching. But that is the reason some people are and do things the way they do.

In my full opinion, if you want to 'wipe' caalis servers/db's from the face of ragezone and start getting real people in. Then release your source, and start supplying help to any and all and give them a bit of your knowledge. Help them learn what to do and how to do it. And just not post in any threads that pertain to caalis files. We all get the idea that they're basically useless, so stop making more threads and keeping caalis reign here alive and just forget about those files. Ignore them, dont post in the threads. And get a real database with no little to no problems and no backdoor/security threats going.


And I got about a month and a half till I get enough free time to try and start learning C++. About 3-4 months worth of no school/work or any other distractions :drool: :blush: :love:
 
99% of those leechers wouldn't be able to compile it anyways.

I'd say release them... And the world is the way it is. There will always be 'those' kind of leechers, but some take time to actually learn how to make there own. All it takes is for them to get a little push and help instead of being insulted every time they ask a question. If some of the people here started helping others that ask for help instead of having the thread spammed with "OMG SEARCH NOOB" or w.e, then you'd make them feel more comfortable here. Thus they'll be more interested in learning more. The more interested they are the better and faster they'll learn. And in no time you'd have a decent flyff section with a bunch of dev's, old and new all helping each other to make one great server.

But the way things are now, most people are basically telling others to **** off with some of there posts. Just because someone is new and doesn't know much doesn't mean they are a leecher. They may already have the desire to start learning. But with the way most people around here post they scare off these new people, or the new people just say **** it and take the already released stuff and claims it his.


And the few that do actually help each other out here are the ones that have been here longer and know each other a bit more. Making it a tight nit group that only help each other and not the new people that also need help.

I haven't been here that long, but I've been here long enough to know how most people are and what to expect when I see their name on the latest post by area of each thread. And I've seen quite a few posts from people that are just down right ridiculously rude just to someone that didn't know much about private servers. I was lucky and didn't get to many rude posts when I first came here. The first question I asked I actually got a few straight forward answers, one being from FrostElite. That's the way things should be, not telling everyone to go use the search button and not helping them the slightest. Trust me, these aren'tt the first forums I've been to and I've been on a few for 2 years + and have seen my fair share of annoying threads of the same subject because of someone not searching. But that is the reason some people are and do things the way they do.

In my full opinion, if you want to 'wipe' caalis servers/db's from the face of ragezone and start getting real people in. Then release your source, and start supplying help to any and all and give them a bit of your knowledge. Help them learn what to do and how to do it. And just not post in any threads that pertain to caalis files. We all get the idea that they're basically useless, so stop making more threads and keeping caalis reign here alive and just forget about those files. Ignore them, dont post in the threads. And get a real database with no little to no problems and no backdoor/security threats going.


And I got about a month and a half till I get enough free time to try and start learning C++. About 3-4 months worth of no school/work or any other distractions :drool: :blush: :love:

Very good ! It's pretty awesome when you learn how to code C++ i've been learning it so far and it's been very helpfull. I would consider looking up the Tutorials that Frost found on youtube in the releases section.
It's pretty easy when you get the hang of it.
 
Very good ! It's pretty awesome when you learn how to code C++ i've been learning it so far and it's been very helpfull. I would consider looking up the Tutorials that Frost found on youtube in the releases section.
It's pretty easy when you get the hang of it.

Already have them downloaded from youtube and converted and on my ipod , for when i have spare time now and then. Also have a full copy of VS2008 Pro from my dad. And a few C++ books from him. He went to school for it and already knows a bunch and got excited when I told him I wanted to start learning it. :laugh:
 
I will do everything I can to help you. I don't know how to code but I am learning. I wish I could learn faster but its hard without anyone but websites to teach me. Just tell me what code language it is in and I will start to learn how to code. I will contribute in every way I can and hopefully earn the respect of some of you. I want to be known as a developer not a leacher.
 
Hello SKillz22,
nice to read your post :]

Just tell me what code language it is in and I will start to learn how to code.

The answer is:

It is based off of Kiki's source of a v6 client that I reconfigured into v11.

I am not going to lie to you. If you have no experience in C++ or how it works then you might want to either brush up, take a class, or just leave it to the devs.
 
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I read what deadlydata said, and I got to say that I almost certain to hand out the source among the developers I know can do something with it. Now that doesn't mean that I won't release the server. I want you guys to experience another server. Actually I think I might release another version here very soon once I get the item system taken care of.

Keep voting. When I see enough people give their opinion I will give you mine.

And I am going to start up a dev team and might move development offsite until I release something so that I can keep the leeching and the drama to a minimum.

And I will help here and there to people whom I think need it.
 
I can`t see where is the problem.Real leacher do not carry about the source.What he need is ready to go server files.Real leacher can`t code.He can`t do much with it if he does not know c++(if we assume the source is written in c++), if he does know c++ so he is not that much leacher.He can actually help.If i run a project of making an emulator for Flyff and it grows to big, complicated and time consuming for me, probably i will upload the source.The others will decide if my code is worthy or not to continue developing.At least someone can learn something if he start similar project.Sharing is good.I see replies for Maplestory and they haven`t Flyff problem.The same with WoW.GlaphanKing have the last word.What he says is what will be.
 
I can`t see where is the problem.Real leacher do not carry about the source.What he need is ready to go server files.Real leacher can`t code.He can`t do much with it if he does not know c++(if we assume the source is written in c++), if he does know c++ so he is not that much leacher.He can actually help.If i run a project of making an emulator for Flyff and it grows to big, complicated and time consuming for me, probably i will upload the source.The others will decide if my code is worthy or not to continue developing.At least someone can learn something if he start similar project.Sharing is good.I see replies for Maplestory and they haven`t Flyff problem.The same with WoW.GlaphanKing have the last word.What he says is what will be.

Leechers come in all shapes, sizes and forms...

Leechers can be considered those who are simply out to just make a few changes in his source code never actually publicly contribute to it and then slap their name on it and re-release it.

Else

You could consider leechers those who simply just download the source compile it and run a server with just that and wait for other people to make their contributions.

All in all when we say leechers we mean those who are not willing to contribute and add into the development of the project.
 
Even though I support Private releases. I would say yes. Wonder why? I Say release the source without binaries. I mean there is no guaranteed way to stop leechers accept to keep it to yourself. I mean there is always a dev/coder that is smarter than yourself or I out there. Look at titan there was a source released and the community actually got together and made it into a kickass source. Its your choice man :) <3 gunnerone
 
Even though I support Private releases. I would say yes. Wonder why? I Say release the source without binaries. I mean there is no guaranteed way to stop leechers accept to keep it to yourself. I mean there is always a dev/coder that is smarter than yourself or I out there. Look at titan there was a source released and the community actually got together and made it into a kickass source. Its your choice man :) <3 gunnerone

I remember getting my hands on some titan source. In a weird way it looked a little like my own source. I would like nothing better than for the source and the community to come together to better itself and get some things going. Its getting a little frustrating doing it all myself. I get a little help from Akitasha and Adidishen and a few others who know a little something about it.

If this community is willing to join in creating the first open source flyff server than by all means. You just remember who started this whole thing. I don't want to go on a crusade getting everyone to realize it was I who released the source.

========= EDIT =================

BTW who the hell voted for Caali Server being king! lol. sorry I knew someone would do that.
 
Im stuck between a yes and a no..

I would say yes, because it would bring the Flyff dev society closer to its former fame, and Caalis files might ACTUALLY be forgotten.

The only problem is, you've worked quite awhile on these, and suddenly everyones going to use your files. I know that about 40% of the people here will actually work on it & add stuff to it, but the rest, they'll just leech off the files, and still use this source for every problem, until it MAY be like Caali's.

I'm not against it, nor with it, just expressing my views. I just don't want to see all of your hard work go to waste or anything
 
x3, its just a number, but theres been a fair amount of releases, and its in C++, which more people are talented in <3. I myself am sadly not a coder, but I'm not a leecher, I just play them and have fun, and spread the fun of Flyff to the public <3.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back