Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Router Issues

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Well...
About 2 months ago i picked up a Modem/Router Gateway
(Linksys Wcg200) The wireless sucked and so did the Dhcp on it... *crashes like every 2 days... so I figured screw it... id get a wrt54gs wireless router and disable dhcp on the wcg200 . . . All worked well for a while... then a new Warcraft III patch came out, and now it feels like there is a conflict... with the router and wcg200 in modem only mode..

It worked great for a good month or two.. dont know why a new wcIII patch would screw it up . . .

Anyways Current configuration

cable line -> Wcg200 (gateway) setup with Everything disabled... wireless Nat/router/dhcp etc OFF working as just modem... using wrt54g as a wireless router ... that has NAT and Dhcp ON..
Ports are all forwarded... but I Have to spam Battle net Button to log in for wcIII... this comp is fresh format. . . and i tested on multiple machines..

I took out the Wrt54GS for a while and when I do take it out there is no problems connecting/hosting... but the Dhcp sucks so bad on the wcg200 alone... so
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a better way to configure this? Is there something I could do to make the ports/game communicate better through this connection . . . I tried almost anything i could think of?
Any Ideas?

Wrt54gs is a Version 7 I was thinking of Moding it with ddwrt firmware... but I already bricked one router a year ago... and well dont feel like tossing out another 65$

Ps: Everything else Runs great... xbox 360/ other PC games... etc... just wcIII i just dont get why wcIII and actually even starcraft have this issue all of the sudden after months of working great with this config...

Any ideas on how the Router/Gateway/Modem *wcg200 is Blocking Direct Internet Traffic to Warcraft even though all the stuff is disabled like Nat/Routing/Dhcp?

I was thinking it had something to do with the Subnet's

also on a side note i heard that for this setup its better to use a crossover ethernet cable between the gateway and the router hosting the dhcp.. true? will it work?

ITs dumb.... I can host games/Login ... i just have to Spam the login it makes no sense. . . 0o anyways... if no 1 has any Ideas i can live with that I guess... just curious as to why it does that.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You Should Just Get Airport Extreme.
Its Worth Your Money.
And It Could Be Because Of Your Modern. OR And Cables Connected To The Modern That Is Really old.

Reaction score
Well...
About 2 months ago i picked up a Modem/Router Gateway
(Linksys Wcg200) The wireless sucked and so did the Dhcp on it... *crashes like every 2 days... so I figured screw it... id get a wrt54gs wireless router and disable dhcp on the wcg200 . . . All worked well for a while... then a new Warcraft III patch came out, and now it feels like there is a conflict... with the router and wcg200 in modem only mode..

It worked great for a good month or two.. dont know why a new wcIII patch would screw it up . . .

Anyways Current configuration

cable line -> Wcg200 (gateway) setup with Everything disabled... wireless Nat/router/dhcp etc OFF working as just modem... using wrt54g as a wireless router ... that has NAT and Dhcp ON..
Ports are all forwarded... but I Have to spam Battle net Button to log in for wcIII... this comp is fresh format. . . and i tested on multiple machines..

I took out the Wrt54GS for a while and when I do take it out there is no problems connecting/hosting... but the Dhcp sucks so bad on the wcg200 alone... so
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a better way to configure this? Is there something I could do to make the ports/game communicate better through this connection . . . I tried almost anything i could think of?
Any Ideas?

Wrt54gs is a Version 7 I was thinking of Moding it with ddwrt firmware... but I already bricked one router a year ago... and well dont feel like tossing out another 65$

Ps: Everything else Runs great... xbox 360/ other PC games... etc... just wcIII i just dont get why wcIII and actually even starcraft have this issue all of the sudden after months of working great with this config...

Any ideas on how the Router/Gateway/Modem *wcg200 is Blocking Direct Internet Traffic to Warcraft even though all the stuff is disabled like Nat/Routing/Dhcp?

I was thinking it had something to do with the Subnet's

also on a side note i heard that for this setup its better to use a crossover ethernet cable between the gateway and the router hosting the dhcp.. true? will it work?

ITs dumb.... I can host games/Login ... i just have to Spam the login it makes no sense. . . 0o anyways... if no 1 has any Ideas i can live with that I guess... just curious as to why it does that.

Crossover cables should be used for the same devices (ie. pc -> pc or router -> router). However, depends on what hub/router you have, mine actually adjusts it for me ; i can use a crossover/straight cable form the hub to any device and it will still work.

Just disable the DHCP imo, then manually assign the IP's to your computers and Xbox, i've done that and have no problems. and dont think its a problem with your subnet, you should be using 255.255.255.0

So your only problem is that you have to press the bnet button alot to connect? Is it the actual bnet or you connecting to a private pvpgn server? Cos since the new wc3 update, mine has become better cos the private pvpgn server i play on moved to faster servers, however it is possible that the bilizzard ones have just got too many people downloading the patch (its only been out a few days) so it is slowing them down.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Crossover cables should be used for the same devices (ie. pc -> pc or router -> router). However, depends on what hub/router you have, mine actually adjusts it for me ; i can use a crossover/straight cable form the hub to any device and it will still work.

Just disable the DHCP imo, then manually assign the IP's to your computers and Xbox, i've done that and have no problems. and dont think its a problem with your subnet, you should be using 255.255.255.0

So your only problem is that you have to press the bnet button alot to connect? Is it the actual bnet or you connecting to a private pvpgn server? Cos since the new wc3 update, mine has become better cos the private pvpgn server i play on moved to faster servers, however it is possible that the bilizzard ones have just got too many people downloading the patch (its only been out a few days) so it is slowing them down.

It's the real bnet not pvpgen Server... strange thing is Even hamachi wont work . . . as i tried to 1v1 my cousin in starcraft using hamachi which we have used to play before...

--
Im gona try and find my cross over cables... god knows where it is... maybe ill just make one from scratch...

Thing is it still connects/hosts games, and my cousin is having the same exact problem using completely different hardware/Os/comp and Isp.

So the thing that bugs me is that why when I use the Dhcp from the wcg200 router/modem combo box everything works ( minus the fact that its glitchy and crashes every 8 hours unless I use the separate wireless router's dhcp.

It was a sudden occurrence after the latest patch for warcraft and starcraft.

.... Somehow the new patch is more sensitive to problems from multiple network devices..... even though the network works flawlessly for everything else...

aether way the annoyance is petty at best... just curious if there is a better way to run this setup as I am somewhat stuck with this hardware... as I don't feel like buying a new Modem and waiting a week for my isp to activate the thing and register it's Mac Address with there networks.. -_-

btw The Wireless router I have runs great.... Wrt54GS i love it never drops connection . . . great wireless range... great speeds... works fine...

The other Box that I am using is causing the conflict with the warcraft/starcraft clients... somehow even though all ports are forwarded... I Xbox 360 seems to run fine... No real issues there other than a little lag every now and then but I think thats more because of Xbox Live lately and Halo 3 changes/updates.

Back