Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Secure Email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goin Goin Gone!
Reaction score
Okay, this has never been a problem or I have never been interested in protecting my information but now I am. I have a few questions for you guys. (Not sure if this is in the right place. btw)

(1.) What is the most secure online email provider or server, that would be the most difficult or almost impossible for hackers to break (hack) into, or to intercept my emails.

(2.) Which is better a online email provider or a server for my computer. (If im not clear then post below.)

All posts will be liked if you help me even a tad bit, and rep will be for who helps the most.​

Reaction score
If you have no knowledge of securing a network then you need to use an online provider.

In any case, I've always trusted gmail with my personal email. As long as you are always using long, strong passwords you shouldn't have any issues with getting your accounts stolen. Most of the time the reason people get their email accounts stolen is because they either used a weak password or use the same password for all the sites they visit and got phished.

The most secure method would be to run a local mail server and accept logins for accounts from only the local network. Consider anything out on the internet is at some level of risk at all times.

Mother effin' clouds
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you have no knowledge of securing a network then you need to use an online provider.

In any case, I've always trusted gmail with my personal email. As long as you are always using long, strong passwords you shouldn't have any issues with getting your accounts stolen. Most of the time the reason people get their email accounts stolen is because they either used a weak password or use the same password for all the sites they visit and got phished.

The most secure method would be to run a local mail server and accept logins for accounts from only the local network. Consider anything out on the internet is at some level of risk at all times.

^ Yup. Plus, Gmail offers an optional 2-step verification :) In the event a hacker gets your password, they will not be able to login without passing the 2nd step (login code via Authenticator or SMS).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
... would be the most difficult or almost impossible for hackers to break (hack) into, or to intercept my emails.
eMail can be intercepted. It's part of the protocol. Whether it's pop, smtp, imap, exchange, Lotus Notes or web based eMail will never be completely secure or reliable.

What do you want to send securely?

You can personally secure the content of any mail with encryption such as PGP, this will not secure who you have communicated with, from what server, when. It will not stop people intercepting your communication, but will make it extremely difficult to determine exactly what was communicated. Make sure the recipient is using a secure mail client too. You can do that when you are exchanging public keys for all your following correspondence.

If you want to secure access to a web mail account, make sure you use strong passwords (as Ron said) but also make sure you only ever log in using secure http connection. (check the url begins Do not allow any page which presents a message from your browser that "some elements on this secure page are not secured" or similar, and never tick the box which says "don't tell me about this in future" or how ever your browser chooses to word it.

If you do not wish anyone to know who you are communicating with, or when, do not use eMail for your private communication.

The eMail standard was always intended for public, non-confidential correspondence. Any attempt to completely secure it would disconnect that new protocol from all other eMail users. Why do you think Banks make such a big thing about "never sending you eMail". :wink:

You can secure either end, but the bit in the middle, where your eMail is going to the other person, can only be secured by forcing both clients (yours and the recipients) off the internet and on to a private network. (Internal Exchange server between two people both locally connected to the same LAN, for example, is "secure" eMail)

In short, you are much better off hosting a shared folder from your computer over an SSL tunnel which they have to log in to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back