Turning a dedicated server into VPS's, Help.

There are many solutions but if you go VPS shopping you will see only a few major hypervisors in use. The major open source options are Xen (Citrix), OpenVZ (Parallels), and KVM (Red Hat). The major closed source options are Hyper-V (Microsoft) and vSphere (VMware). They all have commercial support from their parent companies. I'm not sure of your technical background and/or broad Linux experience so I will 1st recommend either vSphere ESXi, Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, and/or XenServer. These are stand-alone freeware solutions and are managed via a Windows application client. I personally use KVM in a DIY setup w/ Fedora/KVM/QEMU but there are managed solutions like Proxmox and oVirt. It's a jungle out there and it's up to you to try them all out.

---

Here's some links if DIY KVM is your calling (Note: these are only starter guides and no security is considered)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-fedora-17-server

Fedora (Minimal installer)

https://plus.google.com/108087225644395745666/posts/DDfpW6aFzkU

I live on the bleeding edge and so Arch Linux also suites my style and they have a good wiki with many guides on virtualization.
 
Last edited:
I would like to suggest that you please don't. Please please don't. Don't just jump into VPS selling, because you are going to crash and burn, horribly.
The area is already over saturated. For the sake of your own money and everyone elses. Don't jump into server providing until you know exactly what you're doing.
And I don't just mean a few google searches.
 
I would like to suggest that you please don't. Please please don't. Don't just jump into VPS selling, because you are going to crash and burn, horribly.
The area is already over saturated. For the sake of your own money and everyone elses. Don't jump into server providing until you know exactly what you're doing.
And I don't just mean a few google searches.

If they're planning to scale than maybe it's a not worth the small margins. On the other hand, if they can corner a niche or have enough people in their network, they can easily cover the costs and very little else :P This is how I've been operating my hardware and in return I can personally host anything I want at no cost to myself.
 
If they're planning to scale than maybe it's a not worth the small margins. On the other hand, if they can corner a niche or have enough people in their network, they can easily cover the costs and very little else :P This is how I've been operating my hardware and in return I can personally host anything I want at no cost to myself.

Yeah true, but scaling is the tricky part, specially if you didn't know what you were doing when you went in. Once you get to handling 3-4 maybe 5-6 servers at a time. It'll be a pain in the ass to maintain unless you had them setup correctly from the jump, and reorganizing would be even more painful.
 
Back