[Tutorial]Set up a virtual machine for your server

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Introduction
If you're like me and don't want to install SQL, apache and all that stuff on the computer you use everyday, because for whatever reason you don't have a dedicated or a VPS, here's how to setup a VM (virtual machine) to run a Gunz server.

What's a VM?
A virtual machine (VM) is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software"]software[/ame] implementation of a machine (i.e. a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer"]computer[/ame]) that executes programs like a physical machine.

A virtual machine was originally defined by [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popek_and_Goldberg_virtualization_requirements"]Popek and Goldberg[/ame] as "an efficient, isolated duplicate of a real machine". Current use includes virtual machines which have no direct correspondence to any real hardware.

For more, visit [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine[/ame]

Required stuff

• [*]VMware Workstation, which can be found . (I would put up links to a cracked version, but I think it's not allowed here, so yeah, use Google)
    [*]Either a physical CD/DVD of the version of windows you want to use your server on. Of course, Windows XP Sp3 is recommended. Here's a of the original Windows XP S3 iso, uncracked. If you want a key, I guess check the comments on tpb. (If this is forbidden, I will remove the link)
    [*]Internet. :eek:tt1:

Step-by-step tutorial

First, you want to install VMware, and run it. Close the tips/welcome dialog box until you reach this screen:

Then just click on New Virtual Machine, then click Next. Here is the part where you must specify if you're going to use either a physical Windows CD, or an actual iso (my case).

As you can see, VMware tells me its going to automatically install Windows (how convenient :thumbup1: ). Just click Next, its going to ask you the details for the automated installation of windows, like the Key, User name, passwords (not necessary), etc:

Put your infos there, and click Next.

The next step is naming your virtual machine and setting where the files will be saved. You can just ignore it and press Next.

You can ignore the above screen as well, unless you know you're gonna need more then 8GB (for a gunz server it is way enough), click Next.

On that screen, simply click Customize Hardware...

Here you want to click on Network Adapters on the left, then tick Bridged on the right and finally click Ok.

You're back at this screen, just click Finish.
kochon - [Tutorial]Set up a virtual machine for your server - RaGEZONE Forums

//sorry i had to just link that one, there's a crappy 10 images limit...
As you can see, vmware is automatically installing Windows XP here. You can just go get a soda and watch some stuff on youtube while it installs.

Networking (port forward etc.)
Now that you've got your VM set up properly, let me explain to you how its networking will work.

It's quite simple, it simply works as if the VM was a physical computer wired to your router. So, it will have a local IP, something like 192.168.1.10X, or it could be 192.168.0.X.

To find out the local IP of your VM, just click Start, then click Run, and type in the following : cmd. A black window will pop up, type in : ipconfig.

Your local ip adress is the number next to IP Address.............................., in my case 192.168.1.107.

From then on, you would forward the ports on the local IP Adress of your VM. To find out what your WAN ip address is, well, is there for you :)

Bottom lines
Now you're ready to actually install the GunZ server just like you normally would on a computer. Install SQL, setup inis, etcetc.

If you want to quickly transfer files from your computer to the VM, simply drag them from your computer to the VM window.

Any questions?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey no problem guys :)

You may thank now :p

Reaction score
I was bored and I wanted to try this, but I was reading more into your tut and you say Windows XP SP3. Does it have to be SP3? I got SP2 on a disk right here and I already put it on VM. I dont really wanna download SP3 (I can get it free from my school because I qualify for free Microsoft downloads :p).
So yee get back to me on that please. hehe

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I was bored and I wanted to try this, but I was reading more into your tut and you say Windows XP SP3. Does it have to be SP3? I got SP2 on a disk right here and I already put it on VM. I dont really wanna download SP3 (I can get it free from my school because I qualify for free Microsoft downloads :p).
It's always been a free download and it would be suggested to keep it up-to-date

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

For security purposes, you'd rather have it installed. It comes as critical update on the automatic Windows Update, if I'm right.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
There is a problem,if i in the configuration click on Bridged COnnetcion, it will not work, it dont go on internet :\
Any ideas?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There is a problem,if i in the configuration click on Bridged COnnetcion, it will not work, it dont go on internet :\
Any ideas?
I've had that issue, check your computer's firewall, I had to completely deactivate it...

And no, you do not specifically need SP3, it can be Windows XP SP1, SP2, or any other version of windows that will run the server, it doesn't matter. But I highly recommend SP3, cause it's the most updated and secure version of XP.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Although this is a great tutorial for those who need it, I'd like to share a small piece of information. If you use a VM then your computer will be using more resources then if you were to run it right off your PC as normal. This is because the VM uses a set amount of resources and continually "steals" resources from windows. So you will notice that your computer will run much slower with a VM running.

Bottom line is that you should not do this unless you REALLY have to, or if your computer has more then enough resources to Spare. (Recommended resources for use: Quad Core [2.66+ GHz], 4GB (8GM would be better) Ram, and a really good video card with at LEAST 512mb on board memory.)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Although this is a great tutorial for those who need it, I'd like to share a small piece of information. If you use a VM then your computer will be using more resources then if you were to run it right off your PC as normal. This is because the VM uses a set amount of resources and continually "steals" resources from windows. So you will notice that your computer will run much slower with a VM running.

Bottom line is that you should not do this unless you REALLY have to, or if your computer has more then enough resources to Spare. (Recommended resources for use: Quad Core [2.66+ GHz], 4GB (8GM would be better) Ram, and a really good video card with at LEAST 512mb on board memory.)

True, but the goal here was to keep your computer clean from SQL, wamp, and all that stuff. I just like to keep my everyday computer clean and fast. And beside, I really don't feel the effect of having the VM running on my computer, and I don't have an epic killer machine, I have a dual core @ 3.0ghz, 4 GB ram and a 512 mb video card, GeForce 9800 GT.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes I know, I am just wanting to let people know the Cons of this as well as the Pros so you don't have a bunch of people coming back wondering what happened to their PC and why its so much slower.

(How long have you been running it with VM Ware and, when you run VM ware do you ONLY use the server and play the game or do you continue other tasks as well?)

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Any ideas?

Bridged means it will directly connect your gateway (most likely your router) and shoot an ARP request at it. If that doesn't work, you'd rather check your DHCP server.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Bridged means it will directly connect your gateway (most likely your router) and shoot an ARP request at it. If that doesn't work, you'd rather check your DHCP server.
I fixed it by deactivating my firewall (bitdefender).

And yea, I run msn, I play gunz , firefox etc while the vm is on. The VM only runs the server, nothin else,

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i need help how to port forward in nat connection in vmware workstation what i need put on port host and what in port machine ?

Back