Ultimate PT Server files -BETA-

I think the sql.dll provided in this is whack. As I say, I don't use sql.dll or clan.dll myself, so I can't be completely sure, but it isn't a valid PE file, and therefore can't be linked at run-time.

This might explain some of the connection problems people are experiencing. But IDK, just noticed it, and thought it may help clean out bugs.
 
ok thats great Bob, will remove later, though people WERE saying its basically the MSSQL Link that tells it your IP and clan DB stuff.

Great48 for you, look at the original Quantum Client, then see if it is the same amount of ......'s and the IP is in EXACTLY the same place, also make sure you havent made an error INSIDE the client yourself accidently whilst changing the IP.

Also, what client did you try? Quantum or Blood?

Thanks,
Unzubaru.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

I agree with what Gregoory says to some extent. However, while the executables are destination code, and not source at all, if the data files are clean (all the .infs and such) and not based on the original, they could then possibly be considered open source.

Imposing any kind of OSS licence upon them would require them to be "closed book" reverse engineered. Which would require you to delete all existing files and recreate them by playing the official game and making files which act the same but are based solely on your intuition of what is happening, not by looking at any data sets already produced from the original file set.

See ReactOS and Wine for ways OSS has been produced from closed source equivalents in the past. ReactOS got in trouble because some people didn't strictly follow the rules and introduced code into the source tree that was created by actually "looking" at the original commercial code. You can't do that, you can only guess at what the code might be like by the responses it gives to various inputs.

If you are confident that all your monster, npc, items and maybe even field data is unrelated to the original work (a reworked replica, not a copy, or modification of existing sources) then you can (I think) release an open source archive of those data files, separately from your closed source hacked server and client executables.

Any binary files you have not managed to create again from scratch will also have to be part of the closed source archive.

It would be nice to start like this, and work towards getting a completely open source version.

To get the executables available as OSS, would probably require at least two persons, one looking at the code and producing pseudo code for each routine making sure that they never go into any depth about how the results are achieved while still making sure that the relations between the input and output remain the same. The second working solely from the pseudo code, and swearing that they have never looked at the original code, and will never reference it while they work.

Even that approach is only semi-closed (half closed) book.

The PTU project was the last I heard of a truly OSS PT server, and that never implemented an OSS client.

In short... this release contains closed source files, so it is not an open source project. The idea of open sourcing as much as possible is still appealing though. ;)

EDIT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so I'm using this as a test source for my tablularisation code. 1.75 Sec to process the whole lot (255 Monsters) into a single coherent table file... I don't think that's bad.

Additionally, the CSV file is 183K compared to 583K for all the separate files. Zipped it's only 35K, where all the infs zipped up are 388K! That's the kind of improvement I'm looking for. :wink:

While doing this, I found an error... It may not lead to anything in-game, but it's not how the file should be.

Extract from "Deadhopy.inf"
Code:
//몬스터의 그림자 크기 소형, 중형, 중대형, 대형, 없음
*크기            淪
 
Ouch! Language Unzu. :scared:
 
Still cant get your client to work =( idk what im doing wrong
I dont download this files so im not sure why you get unable to connect.
But try this:
- Check with other client if your server works.
- Check the port of the client
- Check the IP of the client with Hex Editor
- Check PTreg in your Game folder

^_^
 
I dont download this files so im not sure why you get unable to connect.
But try this:
- Check with other client if your server works.
- Check the port of the client
- Check the IP of the client with Hex Editor
- Check PTreg in your Game folder

^_^

- Check with other client if your server works. - Tried, and works!
- Check the port of the client - Checked, its 10009
- Check the IP of the client with Hex Editor - Correct
- Check PTreg in your Game folder - Correct

Checked everything still get unable to connect, different clients work, port is open, ip is correct in both client and PTreg
 
Last edited:
Check your registry settings, (I think you did) check your OS protection.

What do I mean by the last one? Okay... XP typically firewalls any program that wasn't installed via an official installer, and registered as needing internet access. I don't remember how to set an exception in XPs firewall when you can't see the popup, but I do remember that most PT clients block that popup, and just see no internet connection.

Vista goes further by creating a virtual filesystem and system registry for any program installed in a system area which then tries to write to files in those system areas or access the main system registry.

In short, if you are using Vista, check for a "Compatibility files".
unzubaru - Ultimate PT Server files -BETA- - RaGEZONE Forums
The files stored here will override those in your main folder, and the same will be true of the System Registry stored under HKLM. (HKey_Local_Machine)

The easiest way around this is either to install to a second hard drive / portable drive / on your desktop etc. Or to right click and "Run as Administrator"... which I don't recommend for normal use.

The client I created has a Vista security descriptor added, allowing it to do some of these things, and I'm working on making it only use files and registry settings in an XP / Vista compliant manner... This program is not (even in official releases) Windows Logo compliant, even for XP, which is the current minimum.
 
Last edited:
>> <<
>> <<
 
My server doesn't even work anymore lol my IP went from 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.2, so i changed my router settings to open the ports, restart computer there back to 1.4 lol but now i cant connect, with ANY client, not even when it was working a day ago. I get unable to connect after 30 seconds of entering the account information. This is really messing with my head
 
Sounds like you are having serious issues managing the Router. We (my Wife and I) allocate specific IPs to specific Mac addresses in the DHCP server of our routers, and always have.

The newer ones actually pick up the machine name installed in Windows, or the localhost name on the Linux machines... which makes it easier than looking up the MAC address of your Ethernet controller.

Really, for LAN IPs you shouldn't have to open ports inside the router... just state that traffic within the host mask is considered safe. host mask 255.255.255.0 will map anything 192.168.1.x

---Edit---
Oh, but do remember that if you server IP changes, you have to re-do the server registry, server hotuk.ini and sql.dll & clan.dll changes... as they are all IP dependent.
 
Last edited:
You can do it globally. Why? because you have a dynamic IP address. Just use 127.0.0.1, or you can still try your global IP at .
 
You can do it globally. Why? because you have a dynamic IP address. Just use 127.0.0.1, or you can still try your global IP at .

Any IP identification page will tell you your LANs IP (your modem IP) from the internet, not the IP of your server on your LAN.

Using 127.0.0.1 is fine if you are running the server on the same machine as your only ever client... but if you are trying to set up a game, to run on a LAN, so two or more people can play within a building... Your home, siblings, respective others, flat mates, frat house, LAN Gaming party etc. Then you really do need a static IP allocated for your game server in your DHCP server... be it Domain Controller or Router or WHY.

I know this is getting Network Admin rather than Server Dev here, but again, that has been one of my official titles, and it's frustrating when people do not understand the functions provided by their network equipment, and expect to be able to run a game server.

Sorry; it's late, I'm tired, and what you need, is dependent on what you are trying to achieve.

It's not necessarily helpful to give someone an answer to a problem they don't have... I know, I do that all the time. Finding out what they are trying to achieve is by far the most important point to getting them the correct answer... either that, or bombard them with all the possible answers and the circumstances that would lead to each one being correct. As tends to be my Epic Fail. :wink:
 
Back