Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Unusually high temperature reading (plus one or two other wee things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Alright so I've just built my first PC and it runs fine, apart from a few tiny wee snags. Snag #1 is an unusually high temperature reading but I don't know where from:

Junkers - Unusually high temperature reading (plus one or two other wee things) - RaGEZONE Forums

Snag #2 is my front fan isn't spinning whereas my top fan and rear fan both spin. And snag #3 is my front USB ports don't work. Have I not connected the USB connector to the motherboard properly?

PC specs:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz
Corsair Vengance 8GB RAM
Asus GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
1TB HDD
Win7 32-bit

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
does your CPU have a layer of thermal grease?

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
does your CPU have a layer of thermal grease?

When I installed it it had that wee square on the bottom of the heatsink. The heatsink wasn't screwed in properly so is there a chance it has shifted and smudged the grease?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
This may be more relevant:

Note the installation instructions for the heatsink screws. A correctly-seated heatsink will spread the thermal paste evenly to prevent air bubbles, et cetera.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i usually removed the stock thermal grease on the cpu/heatsink and apply a third party thermal grease.

i have the same problem with you before but in my problem the culprit was the heatsink xD $20.00 cheap broken right away after 2 weeks of use (bought from BestBuy) >.< i replaced it with H50 though <3 :thumbup1:

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
I removed the heatsink and noticed the paste had been spread out in a circular shape, reseated it and rebooted the system. The "value" field of CPUTIN now fluctuates between 60º and 88º, stabalising around 82º. Should I consider getting new thermal paste?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
How thick is the layer, and how tight are the heatsink screws? You may need to apply pressure to the backplate and heatsink to thin the thermal compound.

Selfish Bastard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I removed the heatsink and noticed the paste had been spread out in a circular shape, reseated it and rebooted the system. The "value" field of CPUTIN now fluctuates between 60º and 88º, stabalising around 82º. Should I consider getting new thermal paste?

Well it's cheap and it wouldn't harm ur comp and would maybe fix your problem, so yeah you should o_O

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
The screws are reasonably tight, is it safe to touch the backplate? The layer looks... meh, alright I guess.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Are you using the stock intel fan ?

I'm using a corsair H80 watercooling kit and CPUTIN for me is currently at 60c. I think you shouldn't be that bothered really. It's the core temperatures that count.

Your core temperatures seem to be idling at 30c, that's perfectly fine.

Plus, as long as you're not getting any crashes or shutdowns you're more then fine!

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Been talking to a mate who works in a PC repair shop and is pretty experienced with builds and he said to just update the BIOS, check my heatsink and ignore it so go with that then aye?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Alfons is correct; my mistake. I assumed you were referring to the CPU temperature. CPUTIN is generally not a reliable measure of anything. My CPU, socket and core temperatures are 24, 31 and 33 C respectively according to ASUS AI Suite, while HWMonitor reports a CPUTIN of 124 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back