Unusually large Windows folder

Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
3,626
Reaction score
1,006
This concerns me because I run windows off of a 128gb SSD, and my Windows folder totals to a whopping 30.2gb, which is about 1/3 of the total usable size of my SSD.

I use a program called SpaceSniffer, and with it, I found out a few things:

- the "winsxs" folder is 15.1gb
- the "System32" folder is 5.7gb (although I don't want to **** with that)
- the "Installer" folder is 3.8gb

Then there's several more ranging from 1.5gb-500mb but these are the largest ones.

I've already done a bunch of googling on this and some people say one thing, some say the other, it's all very widespread. I just need someone who has had the exact same issue and has solved it.

Anyone?
 
Theres 3 things you should do when you're running Windows on your SSD.

1. Disable hibernate
2. Disable restore points (also delete them)
3. Disable pagefile (If you have enough ram you can disable it entirely, otherwise set pagefile to a harddisk.)

Saves a good 15-20 gb.
 
Do you clean your temporary folder from time to time? (To get to it type in the adress bar of a folder %temp% and then select all, and delete).
 
Your system32 folder is twice as large as mine, same goes for Winsxs.
I also don't have any Installer folder in my Windows root. What windows do you have?
 
Same goes for me, but why are your folders bigger? Hmm... can't help it. I had the same problem (having the windows drive too large). but I deleted a partition, and put all my internal HDD space in the windows partition, and my programs and other files on an external one.
 
Back