• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Upcoming birthday, new gfx card?

Reaction score
Currently my setup is:

Code:
Case- Zalman Z9 PLUS
CPU - Intel Core Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (stock)
    - Some Arctic Cooling aftermarket cooler, not expensive
RAM - 2x2GB + 2x512MB = 5GB of Kingston DDR2 @ 399MHz
Mobo- Intel DQ35JO
GPU - ASUS EAH4890 TOP @ stock clocks
PSU - 500w HuntKey LW-6500HGP
OS  - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My current GFX card is about.. 2 years old now I think?
Now over the years I've saved up a small amount of cash, which currently is almost 200 EUR, and with my birthday coming up that might go up by another 30-100EUR depending on my family ;)

I feel like this card has run it's course... I've checked out old reviews of it on Techpowerup and it's an absolute power nomnomnom-er (ASUS EAH4890 TOP w/ Super ML Capacitor Review - Page 26/32 | techPowerUp). So, I'm heavily doubting about getting a new one... I mean, it runs most games on decent (to super high) settings easily on my 1920x1080 monitor (Race Driver: GRID on max, CoD:MW2 on max, but then it lags on Black Ops) and the main thing I'm thinking of is Battlefield 3 coming out and how I have to force AA off to play BFBC2 at a nice smooth FPS already. I'm just one of those guys who wants to play games on max settings whilst getting a steady FPS rate :closedeyes:

Anyway... I've been thinking of getting the AMD radeon HD6950 2GB. The Sapphire DiRT3 edition or the XFX one (which is about 10EUR more)

Got a couple questions then:
1) Will it fit? Some of the cards these days are huuuuge. But actually that also goes for the 4890 ;)
2) Will I have to worry about the PSU? My PSU has been tanking this power eater of a 4890 for years now; so I doubt it.
3) Will I be able to play the best fricken games on the best fricken settings?!

Cheers,

Elite.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Radeon HD6950 is huge, and it's twice as high as a normal card, so whatever slot is below your PCI-E, it will become obsolete

your PSU might not manage to hold that graphic card, it has a peak consumption of 260 - 270 Watt that's over 50% of your PSU maximum output + PSU's output lowers with age + you shouldn't overload the PSU

I use Radeon HD6950, I haven't found a game yet that I can't play on 1920x1080 with max settings

PS : How is your pc even able to run with a graphic card that uses 340 Watt peak usage knowing that it's total power is 500 watt?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey, it's a bloody miracle I guess ^^ But it manages. Don't ask me how 'cause I simply don't know.

I have one DVD drive and 3 HDDs btw.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Also, the 4890 is pretty big aswell. Keep in mind it's the "TOP" one. It's got dual fans. And I think it also occupies 2 slots already but I only have like 2 pci slots.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
it only uses 1 PCI-E slot, but it takes the room for whatever's below it on the motherboard, also it's long

take this pic of my radeon HD6950 as reference
(Radeon HD6950 compared to SATA 3.5'')

Attachments

• SNC00347 - Upcoming birthday, new gfx card? - RaGEZONE Forums
    SNC00347.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
My current GPU is pretty bulky aswell (couldn't get a good measurement but 21-24cm sounds about like it) and I have about 2cm to spare, possibly more with some proper cable management.

I've been looking at the XFX HD6870 Dual Fan as well because it's a whole lot cheaper... Does anyone know how much performance difference would be between the two?

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Now I'm reading reviews of the MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC which is supposedly very good bang for your buck... Decisions decisions. It's about 55EUR cheaper than the 6950

I just want to be able to run battlefield 3 on decent settings smoothly at all times >.>

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aren't you from the Netherlands? If yes, have you checked Marktplaats yet? I always (really) get my stuff from there and it's much cheaper. See if you can find your desired card on there.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aren't you from the Netherlands? If yes, have you checked Marktplaats yet? I always (really) get my stuff from there and it's much cheaper. See if you can find your desired card on there.

I wouldn't check Marktplaats for hardware. You're better off on Tweakers.net (tech community). I've sold and bought a lot of stuff on Tweakers.net. Nearly everyone on there is a tech fanatic so you're bound to get better stuff then on Marktplaats (just check user ratings for selling/buying on tweakers).

http://tweakers.net/aanbod/

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't check Marktplaats for hardware. You're better off on Tweakers.net (tech community). I've sold and bought a lot of stuff on Tweakers.net. Nearly everyone on there is a tech fanatic so you're bound to get better stuff then on Marktplaats (just check user ratings for selling/buying on tweakers).

Tweakers.net Vraag & Aanbod

Yes, I know. Most of the users are young or old to know what they are selling (and price) so it's cheaper there. And ofc, the chances to find a product is higher there.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't believe they ship to the Netherlands ;)

I've ordered the PSU, that should also future proof my system a little better. Next order of business is installing that, then figuring out the GFX card a little more.

Reaction score
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Update: installed the PSU, went smooth. can't test out performance yet because i'm forced to use my onboard VGA to connect to this TV -.-

Stoopid HDMI->DVI cable won't play nice with my comp

Last edited by a moderator:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd suggest waiting for a HD7000 series GPU.

lower power per performance ratio and price per performance then the 6000 series. based on 28nm process and and a new architecture. Q1 2012 not that far away but if you cant wait go for an overclocked 6850 my Gigabyte 6850 can run the battlefield 3 beta at ultra with AA maxed at 1920x1080p24
and it runs cool at 35c and 50-70 while gaming. not sure on power consumption but you definitely have a sufficient PSU im running mine on 550w thermaltake. it comes with HDMI display port and DVI.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes it sure is that one. windforce 2 cooling 2 fans and blue?

the launch of the 7000 series will see a price drop for the 6000 series as well.

Reaction score
Don't bother waiting for the 7000 series.

Q1 2012 could be 6 months from now, and in 6 months of course alot of poop is going to change. If you keep waiting 6 months for every upgrade, you'll never finish building your PC because something better will always come out.

Back