• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Upgrading my she beast.

MentaL's Slave
Legend
Reaction score
So right now here are the specs of what I have right now:

MOBO: M3N72-D Pro
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800Mhz (1) 1200Mhz
GPU: nVidia GeForce 460GTX MSI OC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4, 3.2Ghz (OC)
HDD: 1TB Main, 500GB Backup
PSU: 650W

Upgrade (which should be finished end of October)

MOBO: NF750-G55
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU: EVGA or MSI nVidia 560Ti
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz Black Edition
HDD: Same as above.
PSU: 800W (there is a PSU on newegg that I'm thinking of getting, boosts up to 1080W
+New Case

Others...

Keyboard: I want the Logitech G19 eventually
Mouse: Keeping my Razer Imperator
Monitors: I want two more twins of my 23" 1080p, and I have a side 19" HD

What do you think?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Link to that PSU ? I've not heard of a PSU that "boosts" up to a higher wattage. Anyways, 800 watts is more then fine. You'd still be fine if you were to throw in another 560 in the future.

Also, go for 1600mhz ram. Shouldn't be that much more expensive, and it's pretty much the sweet spot at the moment.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Errr, dont recommend him a 1kw PSU - NO need for that! 1kw+ are reserved for running SLI/Tri-SLI/Crossfire setups - he wont even come close to touching an 800w.. that system might pull perhaps 550w, if that.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Save your money, go for the bulldozer. It comes out in October as well anyways. And rumored to be dirt cheap. If you cant wait and want to upgrade now. I would suggest dumping your cash into a AM3+ socket board. They are backwards compatible with the AM3 CPU's but also leave the option to upgrade to the bulldozer later on if need be. They also support 1866mhz memory OC'd which is native for the bulldozer so you don't need to buy the memory later on either if you do plan on getting one. It might cost a little bit more. But definitely the closest thing to "future proofing" that you can do with computer hardware.

My thoughts...

Mobo =
Memory =

Skip the processor and pull the one from your current machine. Certainly don't need to buy a Phenom II x6 when you already have a Phenom II x4. The only thing your getting is two extra cores. And get everything else like you planed. Then save for a bulldozer, even if your running your Phenom II x4 for a few more months. Its well worth it if your looking for a performance upgrade. The entire 900 series supports both SLI and CrossfireX.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I'm being over sensitive here, but the I recently saw a totalled Tyan S7012 with two dead Intel Xeon CPUs and 24GB worth of bricked DDR3 RAM sticks. Cause of dead: Overstressed PSU. Every single capacitor on the board went up. Tyan, of course, refused warranty.

The cheaper PSUs tend to produce nasty voltage spikes when you push them toward the limit.

First thing I've after getting home that day was ordering a new PSU :laugh:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I'm being over sensitive here, but the I recently saw a totalled Tyan S7012 with two dead Intel Xeon CPUs and 24GB worth of bricked DDR3 RAM sticks. Cause of dead: Overstressed PSU. Every single capacitor on the board went up. Tyan, of course, refused warranty.

The cheaper PSUs tend to produce nasty voltage spikes when you push them toward the limit.

First thing I've after getting home that day was ordering a new PSU :laugh:

2x GTX 560 Ti = 340 Watts Max TDP

He would be fine with a 850w that would leave him 510 watts to power the rest of the system which wont even use half that... All he has to do is avoid the low grade PSU's

MentaL's Slave
Legend
Reaction score
Memory =

Skip the processor and pull the one from your current machine. Certainly don't need to buy a Phenom II x6 when you already have a Phenom II x4. The only thing your getting is two extra cores. And get everything else like you planed. Then save for a bulldozer, even if your running your Phenom II x4 for a few more months. Its well worth it if your looking for a performance upgrade. The entire 900 series supports both SLI and CrossfireX.

however this X4 I have is a AM2+ processor, I don't know if that motherboard would go back to AM2+ besides I know that DDR3 does not work with AM2+ socket.

Back