Where You Learned 'Java'

🚫
Exiled
Joined
Mar 27, 2011
Messages
76
Reaction score
2
Where did you guys learned Java coding?
I'm new to this development and i wanted to learn it too. :*:
 
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

Started with scripting NPCs, read Java for Dummies, experimented (sexually), ???, extra research, and I 'learned' a good chunk of Java.

I have always been one of those people that catch on to what and how one is supposed to do something, so I can't really recommend anything unless you are like me in that regards. Java for Dummies, by Doug Lowe, is a good book to learn both the basics of Java and some of the more useful libraries of the initial Java API, however as you progress you will not want to use most of the things Lowe tells you to use (i.e. swing, since it is really heavy with memory before JRE7).
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I just took a look at Java and said
"Hey look, it's really similar to C++!
It just can't do this, or this, or this, or this, or any of these other cool things.
And also it forces me to do stuff this way, and has these weird syntax changes."
And yeah, Java was easy to learn.
Then again, I already knew C++, and anyone who knows C++ pretty much can learn any language just like that.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

Going to my Java branches, then it was...

I learned Cobol forced by a teacher, then VB by my own, then Delphi by my own, then C by my own, then C++ (so similar) by my own, then I learn Java by my own because I got told it was a "hot" language that was requested for jobs... so I learn Java on my way... and.. then I saw that MapleStory development were using Java, so I asked myself "Why not move and progress my skills?", so I did it all on my own...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

Going to my Java branches, then it was...

I learned Cobol forced by a teacher, then VB by my own, then Delphi by my own, then C by my own, then C++ (so similar) by my own, then I learn Java by my own because I got told it was a "hot" language that was requested for jobs... so I learn Java on my way... and.. then I saw that MapleStory development were using Java, so I asked myself "Why not move and progress my skills?", so I did it all on my own...

Interesting. :scared:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

Going to my Java branches, then it was...

I learned Cobol forced by a teacher, then VB by my own, then Delphi by my own, then C by my own, then C++ (so similar) by my own, then I learn Java by my own because I got told it was a "hot" language that was requested for jobs... so I learn Java on my way... and.. then I saw that MapleStory development were using Java, so I asked myself "Why not move and progress my skills?", so I did it all on my own...

Bullshit, without Moogra you wouldn't know the mistakes you made lol.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I started with Garry's Mod LUA. Very similar to Java. Since its almost the same im learning the syntax etc... Im still not good but im still learning.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I started by learning the language fundamentals. Once I achieved that, I gradually learned what there was to learn with OdinMS's source as a whole.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I once went to Starbucks and bought a grande sized Java Chip Frappucino, it was then, that I realised I had indulged, digested and learned, Java.
Also... I went to Java, Indonesia once and I was taught Javanese. I'm a master in Java.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

actually, yeah. just look at the way someone writes a working code. if they're not using something dumb like visual basic, it will most likely have ;'s at the end of lines, ()'s at the end of methods (that don't need paramaters)

Aww mang Javascript doesn't require ending methods with a ";" though :*: ( Unless you code like a retard and don't move to the next line before performing the next action )

@OP

Yeah, i did the usual. Looking through releases / leeching from repacks and then trying to duplicate it/ make it better. Started with Javascript, as it is around 120% easier.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I learned doing things. Example: I wanna make a command that makes X thing. Think logically a way to make the X thing. It's a bad example, ok.

When I made my lottery I learned alot, because it involved MySQL table values, because u need to store the prize of it, arrays to put the winners there, randomizer for the lottery number, the functions for the commands involving it.

The way for me was thinking "I wanna make this do that", them with some research (google is ur friend) it finally works :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

Bullshit, without Moogra you wouldn't know the mistakes you made lol.

The question is.. "Where you learn Java", not "How you progressed in Java.". So you and Moogra are both wrong with this.

Even though the question is a bit unspecific, I just considered this to the basics. And no, I did not learn the basics with Beng, Moogra and who else.. I did on my own.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Where You Leaned 'Java'

I'm a sophomore in high school. Basically I learned Java through googling things on the internet, modifying source code, and programming things with open-source communities so I can get as much help as I need (Android). I also have a friend who works for Hands-On Mobile that helps me out.
 
Upvote 0
Back