Which localhost server should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the language does matter. While EVERY language has massive WTFs about it (yes, even Python and Lisp), some languages are so far gone in WTF-land that they pollute the souls of those who use them. PHP (both the language but also the API) is one such language. VB is another.
Yeah, and so is the fact we have umteen JavaScript DOM API implementations. But there are practicalities for contractors or freelancers where they have to meet their clients needs and current circumstances at a given budget. And if you happen to do things like in the field of web development, it helps to install an apache server. I have one.. I don't use it hardly ever and I have the commands to start it in a shell script somewhere I forget where it is... but anyway, I have one for practical purposes. But I guess you can only accept ruby server jobs... Just like you can set up a computer repair center for linux systems in any given small town.
 
By localhost server, I assume you mean web server?

If so, there are multiple factors you have to take into consideration.
What programming languages, if any, do you want to serve?
What operating system is the web server being run on?
Is it going to be solely for a development environment or will you put live(production) websites on the web server as well?
If your website is live, how many unique hits / month do you expect to get? This really only matters after a certain large threshold.

Whether or not you should use PHP or another programming language is a different discussion and thus should not be discussed in relation to the original question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back