Which Programming language is to Learn first for Beginner?

I started off with Pascal and Basic about 12 years ago. I used to write games on my TI-82. I then learned some Ruby via RPG Maker XP (RGSS). I went through several other languages before finally settling on C# for a few years. I tend to use this mostly, although I frequently use C++, Java, Ruby and Vala for various things. Basic is a pretty easy language to get in to, but it's definitely not something you want to use nowadays. It will teach you the concepts of programming, though. C/C++ would be ok, too, but can sometimes scare newcomers away. Ruby is an absolutely beautiful language and I would definitely suggest learning it at some time. There's some excellent material online for Ruby, namely the pragmatic programmer's guide. I highly suggest you stay well clear of VisualBasic.Net... It is a disgusting language that teaches very bad habits.
 
I suppose really not bad habits but when you try to move onto like a more complicated language it's more difficult to learn.
Also, the indentation it teaches you sucks. I love Python to death though.

Guido van Rossum never promised to follow traditional programming syntax and style when creating Python. As for the important aspects of programming- such as problem solving, control flow, organization and so on and so forth- he (Guido van Rossum) paid a lot of attention to that.

I, personally, think the strict indentation python introduced (instead of curly braces) forces people to learn how to indent properly, and is very easy for a person to understand. There are bugs if you use different indentation styles, but if you use the same IDE/text editor to program python through to the end of the program, which most people do, then there are no strange side-effects from different kinds of indentation (8 spaces, 4 spaces,, 2 spaces, 1 space, 8-space-tabs, 4-space-tabs). I just stick to one style (8-spaced tabs).

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
 
Back