Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Why do people not add comments when coding nowadays? Web 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
If you are going to release a work, be it the most simplest npc, to the most complicated xxX stuff, thse comments really helps the second editor, how well the second or third editor can continue editing the code depends on this too. Don't you agreed?

why won't people add any useful comments anymore, just had a look at all these new random repack/src, they are all codes and letters and numbers, and barely any comment anymore and it seems like the original comments left by odinms is getting more and more lesser..
even if there are comments, theres no meaning in it, and the comments goes like //duck this line or //water of life? or //lol i like long names

that doesn't help editors at all..
or i guess they were not told the real uses of comments =|

does any of you agree? or people are really that selfish cause they want to be the one editing all the time and gets all the credit and thank D:

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Good code for the most part won't need comments if it's something small

You know in my school, when we submit our programs for our lecturers to mark, 1/3 of the programs must consist of comments, else its immediate failure and at every close '}' there must be a comment citing the examiner what the } is closing. failing to cite a comment behind the '}' minus 5 marks out of 100 for every practices(problem solving) and test.
}//end main
}//end function z
}//end if

So you kinda gets 0 if your program happens to have over 50 } and you dont cite a comment at the end of each }.

I believe the comment thingy is not related to skill/coding quality at all, its there to allow users including authors to understand and go through back big past works faster. I'm sure an experienced/pro programmer(not 1 that just noe about programming from maple) but one who really learned programming from the basics will agrees with me the usefulness of comments..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reaction score
You know in my school, when we submit our programs for our lecturers to mark, 1/3 of the programs must consist of comments, else its immediate failure and at every close '}' there must be a comment citing the examiner what the } is closing. failing to cite a comment behind the '}' minus 5 marks out of 100 for every practices(problem solving) and test.
}//end main
}//end function z
}//end if

So you kinda gets 0 if your program happens to have over 50 } and you dont cite a comment at the end of each }.

I believe the comment thingy is not related to skill/coding quality at all, its there to allow users including authors to understand and go through back big past works faster. I'm sure an experienced/pro programmer(not 1 that just noe about programming from maple) but one who really learned programming from the basics will agrees with me the usefulness of comments..
I agree that it can be useful. However, I don't see why we should put a comment after every bracket.

Ex. :
PHP:
                } else if (selection == 1) {
                    cm.warp(100000200);
                    cm.dispose();
                }

I don't think you need comments to figure this out.

But nevertheless, I like the idea, and why not put comments where needed.(If it gets complicated , why not?)

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
}//end main
}//end function z
}//end if

I've read a bunch of articles about commenting, a bunch saying its useless if your code is good, a bunch saying to comment everything, then ones saying how people over-comment just like commenting a closing bracket, you obviously just aren't able to space.

Upvote 0
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Takes too much time. Read over the code a couple times and if you're able to edit it, I think you'll be able to understand it.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yea, lets comment stuff like
Code:
if (splitted[0].equals("@gofm")) {
     c.getPlayer().changeMap(910000000);
}
Because people so can't understand that right?

Orly now? So even if its the final exam, if you dont put } //end
You'll get 0 and fail and you would need to retake the test for not adding comments?

, 1/3 of the programs must consist of comments,
Wow, poop, since most sources has like 2mb in size,
you're gonna write 600++ kb worth of text? :O

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why would I write a message to myself?

Upvote 0
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
}//end main
}//end function z
}//end if

this is very bad programming practice, just imagine a project like ReactOS decorated with comments like that - it will probably be up to 1.5GB compressed instead of 500MB! moreover, it may help people who don't know poop about the language to "understand" it, but programmers should understand the code anyway, with tools these days like Notepad++, it's easy to match the bracket pairs.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Don't make yourself look stupid, it's obvious that he's talking about releaes.

Noshit, but still, why would you write comments that'd be used for your own purpose prior to releasing?

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you are going to release a work, be it the most simplest npc, to the most complicated xxX stuff, thse comments really helps the second editor, how well the second or third editor can continue editing the code depends on this too. Don't you agreed?

why won't people add any useful comments anymore, just had a look at all these new random repack/src, they are all codes and letters and numbers, and barely any comment anymore and it seems like the original comments left by odinms is getting more and more lesser..
even if there are comments, theres no meaning in it, and the comments goes like //duck this line or //water of life? or //lol i like long names

that doesn't help editors at all..
or i guess they were not told the real uses of comments =|

does any of you agree? or people are really that selfish cause they want to be the one editing all the time and gets all the credit and thank D:

Well, go program a server in comments and release it. We'll see how popular it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back