Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

why do servers like mapleroyals not verify that wz files haven't been compromised?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've seen sooooo many people wz edit, and I'm wondering why mapleroyals gameclient doesn't have a checksum of skill.wz and other *.wz files, and on every launch verify that they haven't been tempered with. either with a MD5 checksum hash or just checking filesize... what stops them? :oops:

sorry I'm noob

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
there is no reason not to implement a file integrity check, except the amount of time it takes to do it.
on my machine a full scan of all the WZ files inside the maple directory takes about 3.5mins, which wayyy too long for every launch if player experience matters to you

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
checksum take time also most game use proprietary file compression (.zip, .rar, .tar ,.deb, .rpm .wz ... etc) which are close source and enough "security through obscurity" ...

most game resouce require 2 process unpack and repack if you can unpack stuff but cannot repack then its pretty much useless

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
there is no reason not to implement a file integrity check, except the amount of time it takes to do it.
on my machine a full scan of all the WZ files inside the maple directory takes about 3.5mins, which wayyy too long for every launch if player experience matters to you
why not just check md5?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
3 minutes too long.. How aboot just checking the file size then? Hax0rs will eventually figure out how to spoof the file size but it will stop all the wz editors for a few months at least.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
3 minutes too long.. How aboot just checking the file size then? Hax0rs will eventually figure out how to spoof the file size but it will stop all the wz editors for a few months at least.
there are methods to check some stuff that is more challenging for hackers to fake, but at the end of the day, if they hook the file read function and just return the original file contents then it's futile

Back