Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Fallout 4

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
Truly depends how you look at it though. Does a good cause really justify anything?

Well, you've inadvertently (or maybe not) backed up my point. Something that's morally grey invokes such discussions. Every time I discuss this in /r/fallout4, users bring up the same point, and other users counter the point. This is exactly why it's morally grey. We can't decide if it's good or bad, even if we do, the opinion is never unanimous.

It's actually refreshing to discuss the morality of factions, without my head being bitten off. Reddit is a perfect example of where it happens.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So here's what I believe about the four factions in Fallout 4.

The Brotherhood of Steel

- Fascist group

- Hoard technology first, help the people later

- Literal incarnation of Hitler, however instead of the Jewish, mentally disabled, gays and gypsies, the BOS persecute ghouls, Synths and Super Mutants.

- Apart from the technology BOS has, there isn't that much else the BOS has to offer.

The Institute

- Kidnaps people and replaces them with Synths

- Responsible for the Super Mutants in the Commonwealth because they found a strain of FEV

- Shaun didn't care one bit that you were his father/mother

Railroad

- Helps Synths escape the Institute

- Gives the Synths a new identity so they don't know they're a Synth anymore and so the Institute can't track them.

- Doesn't care about humans, or any threats, like Super Mutants

Minutemen

- A faction that wants to rebuild the Commonwealth

- Not as much technology as the BOS

- Wants to help Settlements

- The Minutemen doesn't mind ghouls and synths joining the Minutemen, and living as settlers.

To elaborate more on what Jax said, the Enclave is not at all related to the Synths. Synths are produced by the Institute to emulate human behavior using robotics. Their purpose is to alllow the Institute to explore the Wasteland without actually leaving the Institute's HQ. Similar to a UAV, It's like an un-manned human, and there are no real repercussions to losing Synths. I won't go any further into that to avoid spoilers for people who have not played it yet.

The Enclave are a faction only seen in previous Fallout games. Ironically, the Enclave is actually fairly similar in nature, however they do not build Synths or use Synths at all for that matter. It's hard to avoid spoilers with this one, so bare with me. If you have not finished Fallout 2 & 3 and plan on playing them, do not read the following spoiler.

The Enclave is the last "surviving" faction from the Great War. It's members are said to be made up of former U.S. government / military personnel which would explain the obsession with establishment of a true government and the "old" world values and symbols of the U.S. This is why there is heavy use of the American flag and U.S. military ranks and titles. Furthermore, the Enclave is made up of the last known "pure" humans in the Wasteland. This is assuming that anyone who has been exposed to the Wasteland is no longer completely human due to the harsh effects of radiation and the Forced Evolution Virus (FEV). The founding members of the Enclave (expecting the inevitable nuclear war) believed that if the "important" people survived, most of the nation would be killed by the nuclear blasts and the spread of Communism would be halted.

The Enclave was essentially the only remnants of the U.S. Government. They stationed themselves on an oil rig which had harvested the last of the oil in the reserves before the Great War. This oil rig was run by Poseidon Oil, but it was owned and funded by he U.S. Government before the war. As such an important place, it was also equipped with very advanced technology. Including many of the weapons and armor you'll see used by the Enclave. Most important of all, the Oil rig was equipped with the technology to monitor the vaults which was also a program funded by the government. This gave the Enclave a lot of power in the years after the war because they pretty much had control of the last hope for human civilization, the vaults.

The Enclave had too much power though, and often used it for very sinister plans. In most cases, you wouldn't assume they were trying to help humanity, but only themselves. They experimented with the FEV a lot and killed many people FEV, ghouls, or neither. In the end, it led to their downfall.

Lore isn't a spoiler.

However, the games plot would be a spoiler and I don't see Fallout 1 or 2 mentioned anywhere within those spoiler tags. Also Fallout 1 and 2 are almost 20 year old games, so I wouldn't call anything happening in those games spoilers, people should know them already, same with Fallout 3 which is 8 years old.

I didn't bother playing either of them because they were turn based games. I just read about them, however I played the poop out of the Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4. :):

Reactions: Jax
Rogu3
Reaction score
@Quackster Jax
The Institute is a group that has one goal and that is to restore humanity and the planet, but only when the time is right to leave their compound. The problem is they will do anything and everything including push through any barrier to reach that point.

The BoS is a group that focuses mainly on preserving pre-war technology. The problem with this is that they don't care much for humanity, and they only really take part in helping humanity when it benefits their own cause. Hence why in FNV, they pretty much remained secluded through the whole game. You have to understand why, and this is mainly understood through the Lore. They feel the Great War only happened because the technology landed in the hands of the wrong people. This doesn't make much sense though because who are they to assume that they are the right people? The Brotherhood can sometimes, especially in FO4, look like real assholes. However, their cause has good intentions and they seek only to prevent more unnecessary destruction.

The Minutemen are probably the only group that is always in good moral standing. This is mainly because they are more of a support group than an actual established group. I feel like the Minutemen could restore order to the Commonwealth, however they don't have enough weapons or equipment to maintain it.

The Railroad is kind of that annoying group that seeks to give Synths a life. I feel like they have a good cause, but they aren't helping anyone but Synths, and the Synths don't really need help or care if they receive any.

I was kind of disappointed that there weren't more groups/factions in FO4. One of my favorite parts about FNV was the numerous factions you could subscribe to. In the end, you could only really choose one, but you could band them together as well.

Last edited:

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
I meant the perspective really depends for all factions and which perspective you're looking at it from.

Which, again, backs up my point. Perspective contributes to the idea of grey morality.

Rogu3
Reaction score
Which, again, backs up my point. Perspective contributes to the idea of grey morality.
I wasn't arguing with you, lol. You were referring mainly to the Institute, but I was just pointing out that it could be applied to most, if not all, groups in Fallout.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The Brotherhood can sometimes, especially in FO4, look like real assholes. However, their cause has good intentions and they seek only to prevent more unnecessary destruction.

Adolf Hitler thought he had good intentions too, which is exactly why I say that the Brotherhood of Steel is a reincarnation of Nazi-Germany.

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
I wasn't arguing with you, lol. You were referring mainly to the Institute, but I was just pointing out that it could be applied to most, if not all, groups in Fallout.

I'm not arguing with you. I was merely using what you said, to back up the point that all factions are in the moral grey area. Apologies, I should have elaborated and mentioned all factions. But yeah, I guess we share the same opinion.

However, their cause has good intentions and they seek only to prevent more unnecessary destruction.
It's ironic though, causing destruction to prevent destruction.

--

My view on things:

BOS are zealots, period. Every time my character converses with Maxson, my hate for him increases. They may be protecting the Commonwealth from the FEV abominations, but it doesn't give them the right to force taxation on settlements. They're almost like the Enclave; they want to recreate humanity, thus removing all FEV abominations, just without the impurity aspect.

In my opinion, the Commonwealth's future includes the FEV abominations. What's so bad about Ghouls and some (not many) intelligent Super Mutants, etc. Most people in the Commonwealth aren't pure any more, excluding those who are situated inside the vaults. But then again, some have been exposed through exploring the surface (prime example; Lone Wanderer).

It's neither here nor there really. Everything has collapsed, and we haven't even covered a lot of the fallen world. Rebuilding society is too optimistic. They should carry out the original Enclave plan, and move to another planet.

Last edited:
ignition sequence start
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Completed the main story line to Fallout.

Went with the minutemen and nuked the poop out of the Institute. Hey war never changes right?

I'm now level 53. I found a legendary deathclaw matriarch the other day and it looked badass.

Then I killed it looooooooool

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Completed the main story line to Fallout.

Went with the minutemen and nuked the poop out of the Institute. Hey war never changes right?

I'm now level 53. I found a legendary deathclaw matriarch the other day and it looked badass.

Then I killed it looooooooool

You chose good, but I personally would have

evacuated the Institute so the Railroad wouldn't get pissed at me

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
lol casual, I don't remember what was my level since I deleted my F4 a long time ago, but I literally had every camp designed and my level was really high enough for me to do be able to have every

Back