• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

A 'major milestone' in search for Earth's twin

Reaction score
So, I went to go download MSN and seen this story.
This is a pretty big discovery, I mean it's 600 light-years away.
So we won't be able to figure out if it is habitable at all for about 600 years with a beam going at the speed of light.
Anyways, here is the story:

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — NASA's planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has confirmed the discovery of its first alien world in its host star's habitable zone — that just-right range of distances that could allow liquid water to exist — and found more than 1,000 new exoplanet candidates, researchers announced Monday.
The new finds bring the Kepler space telescope's total haul to 2,326 potential planets in its first 16 months of operation. These discoveries, if confirmed, would quadruple the current tally of worlds known to exist beyond our solar system, which recently topped 700.

NASA / Ames / JPL-Caltech
This diagram compares our own solar system to Kepler-22, a star system containing the first "habitable zone" planet discovered by NASA's Kepler mission.
The potentially habitable alien world, a first for Kepler, orbits a star very much like our own sun. The discovery brings scientists one step closer to finding a planet like our own — one that could conceivably harbor life, scientists said.
"We're getting closer and closer to discovering the so-called 'Goldilocks planet,'" Pete Worden, director of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., said during a news conference on Monday.
Hunting down alien planets
The $600 million Kepler observatory launched in March 2009 to hunt for Earth-size alien planets in the habitable zone of their parent stars, where liquid water, and perhaps even life, might be able to exist.
Kepler detects alien planets using what's called the "transit method." It searches for tiny, telltale dips in a star's brightness caused when a planet transits — or crosses in front of — the star from Earth's perspective, blocking a fraction of the star's light.
The finds graduate from "candidates" to full-fledged planets after follow-up observations confirm that they're not false alarms. This process, which is usually done with large, ground-based telescopes, can take about a year.
The Kepler team released data from its first 13 months of operation back in February, announcing that the instrument had detected 1,235 planet candidates, including 54 in the habitable zone and 68 that are roughly Earth-size.
To date, just over two dozen of these potential exoplanets have been confirmed, but Kepler scientists have estimated that at least 80 percent of the instrument's discoveries should end up being the real deal.
More discoveries to come
The newfound 1,094 planet candidates are the fruit of Kepler's labors during its first 16 months of science work, from May 2009 to September 2010. And they won't be the last of the prolific instrument's discoveries.

"This is a major milestone on the road to finding Earth's twin," Douglas Hudgins, Kepler program scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington, said in a statement.
Mission scientists still need to analyze data from the last two years and on into the future. Kepler will be making observations for a while yet to come; its nominal mission is set to end in November 2012, but the Kepler team is preparing a proposal to extend the instrument's operations for another year or more.
Kepler's finds should only get more exciting as time goes on, researchers say.
"We're pushing down to smaller planets and longer orbital periods," said Natalie Batalha, Kepler deputy science team lead at Ames.
To flag a potential planet, the instrument generally needs to witness three transits. Planets that make three transits in just a few months must be pretty close to their parent stars; as a result, many of the alien worlds Kepler spotted early on have been blisteringly hot places that aren't great candidates for harboring life as we know it.
Given more time, however, a wealth of more distantly orbiting — and perhaps more Earthlike — exoplanets should open up to Kepler. If intelligent aliens were studying our solar system with their own version of Kepler, after all, it would take them three years to detect our home planet.

Actual story:

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
In a few more generations space travel will have developed massively, we would have discovered millions more planets by then and commercial space flight will be up and running. Maybe not soon but soon enough we will start to move about planets more often maybe even find ways we can inhabit them, I suppose we will never know what is going to happen.

Thanks for sharing the article, good read.

Reaction score
We may never know how or when it happens, but I am happy knowing my grandchild or great grandchild will be in the generation of all this happening.
I mean, my grandparents grew up when there wasn't T.V, we are growing up when there isn't space travel I suppose.
Haha.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In a few more generations space travel will have developed massively, we would have discovered millions more planets by then and commercial space flight will be up and running.

Make that a even few more generations, since the hurdle of making a new fuel replacement isn't really there yet.

i didnt do this.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@nzrock The government are very sneaky and they get too much tax etc from oil, petrol etc I can assure you tht there will be/is an alternative fuel oh there ATM, however as i said they won't as they will lose too much

Also I've always knew that we weren't the only life force out there and that there had been othe planets eyc that could be lived on

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That's not even close to a pretty big discovery. It's been said over and over how they found X planets that look like earth or that could be habitable, hell they even said mars could be habitable. Before they actually find life it's just another story to generate hype for no reason to me. Google around about habitable planets or earth like planets you'll find year old articles like this one

ส็็็็็็็
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So this is what will happen, Earth starts to die from pollution then we start to move to the closest habitable planet, once we destroy that one we will move to another and another, because at the rate we're going we are draining the resources...

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So this is what will happen, Earth starts to die from pollution then we start to move to the closest habitable planet, once we destroy that one we will move to another and another, because at the rate we're going we are draining the resources...

If it drives progress, who cares?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
How the hell do they do if it supports water, oxygen , life? I doubt a telescope can see that planet in detail. Just because it's a fair distance from the star like the earth doesn't mean it could harbor life. For all they know it could turn out to be another gas giant ^^.

Reaction score
How the hell do they do if it supports water, oxygen , life? I doubt a telescope can see that planet in detail. Just because it's a fair distance from the star like the earth doesn't mean it could harbor life. For all they know it could turn out to be another gas giant ^^.

Well, there are pictures of it looks amazingly like earth :
Basic - A 'major milestone' in search for Earth's twin - RaGEZONE Forums

Basic - A 'major milestone' in search for Earth's twin - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Actually the distance given the temperature of the star is what matters. In that zone, the climate would be temperate enough to allow for liquid water (as opposed to gaseous water any closer or ice any further), it's also temperate enough to allow for life within the extremes that we've found on earth.

We have no evidence of life existing at thousands of degrees (the hottest known creatures being on the vents of sea floors at no more than 120c), and we have no evidence of life at temperatures below around -50c.

It matters a great deal, finding a planet of similar mass in a good location in the solar system. Other exoplanets have had extremely irregular orbits (extremely elliptical, coming very close to the star and sterilizing and then moving out to very far away from the star and freezing it or have been very close to the star and had a tiny orbit) that would make the possibility of life very unlikely. We don't know if there's life there, we don't even know if there's life on planets in our own solar system, we just don't have the technology to determine that until we go and look for it (like we're doing on Mars).

Reaction score
I heard recently that, although this planet is in its star's habitual zone, it is just on the edge of the habitual zone. The planet never turns, so essentially, one side always has sun, the other side is always dark. One side was really hot (over 2000 degrees, if not quite a bit more. I can't remember atm.), and the other is very, very cold. Nothing on our planet, Earth, would successfully live on this recently discovered planet.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I heard recently that, although this planet is in its star's habitual zone, it is just on the edge of the habitual zone. The planet never turns, so essentially, one side always has sun, the other side is always dark. One side was really hot (over 2000 degrees, if not quite a bit more. I can't remember atm.), and the other is very, very cold. Nothing on our planet, Earth, would successfully live on this recently discovered planet.

Easily fixed. Take a giant rock about the size of our moon and slam it into the planet at an angle. Rotation begins, giant rock settles into orbit, planet melts and then over a few million years, it settles into a suitable place for life.

We got this.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Easily fixed. Take a giant rock about the size of our moon and slam it into the planet at an angle. Rotation begins, giant rock settles into orbit, planet melts and then over a few million years, it settles into a suitable place for life.

We got this.

Terraforming is a way better option, don't you think? :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there's already life on that planet.. Would be amazing if there was and they could travel to 'their moon' already.

Back