• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Are Tattoos unprofessional?

Reaction score
I like a good tattoo but I have to say I do find them unprofessional they are fine for a certain type of worker but when you move up the ladder to executive type jobs they do look unprofessional this is assuming they are visible.. If you can't see it who cares.. or who knows? but if it's a tattoo you can see then it's defiantly unprofessional.

I am probably biased as I'm really into art and find a lot of tattoos to be extremely trashy and poorly done.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@Ethicks Why do you find tattoos unprofessional, though? They don't impact on someone's ability to perform tasks in their given job or career. The only reason I think people view them as 'unprofessional' in certain circumstances is because society's pushed a common viewpoint into the front of everyone's minds. At the end of the day, like I said, their abilities aren't impacted, so who cares? Though I like to reject society's views and form my own so maybe that's why I'm different.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I like a good tattoo but I have to say I do find them unprofessional they are fine for a certain type of worker but when you move up the ladder to executive type jobs they do look unprofessional this is assuming they are visible.. If you can't see it who cares.. or who knows? but if it's a tattoo you can see then it's defiantly unprofessional.

I am probably biased as I'm really into art and find a lot of tattoos to be extremely trashy and poorly done.

you really need to find better artists to look at. There is a group on facebook called tattoo drop. The stuff in there is incredible. People who spend real money on their tattoos get what they pay for. People who pay cheap get cheap looking tattoos (or even tattoo themselves!)

From when I had originally posted in this thread, I have since had a role change to a more responsible role. I have gone from customer service to stock control. this is with my (half done) sleeve, septum piercing, labret piercing, stretched ear and turquoise and purple hair. Not to mention I am earning slightly higher than the average for my age.
If you want a corporate job, where you are not allowed individuality and to look and dress the same as any other bugger, then yes tattoos are unprofessional. If you want a job where you work to live, rather than live to work, then tattoos are not unprofessional (unless vulgar, then just stay on the doll..)

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think it matters but it also depends on the job. If it is something that requires short sleeves and want to get a tattoo on your forearm go with something that inst offensive or can be taken the wrong way. My buddy works in retail with me and he is getting a sleeve done of like a time line. The bottom of the sleeve is a sunken city then goes into a destroyed ruined city. Into the meteors and dinosaurs etc etc you get the idea. So this is allowed at work cause it is nothing offensive.

Reaction score
Just get them where they can be hidden by short sleeve shirt and you won't have issues! Tattoo's are a person statement they want all to know. My bro in law has a bunch from when he was in the marine's down his arm! Some are fine but some are naked women so he wear's long sleeves most of the time even the summer! Tattoo's I love, I only have one at the moment but saving to do a full back piece! Good luck on your decision but if you can hide it doesn't hurt!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's not unprofessional, but you just have to be careful not to go OTT and at least get one in a place where it's easy to cover up if necessary, because as easy as it is for us to say it's fine, other people have a different view - do you really want that hindering you with future job prospects as an example?

EDIT: As an example, the head of my site (a good engineer) is covered in tattoos and earn God knows how many hundred thousands per year. So it's not that much of a hindrance to some.

Back