Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to configure your SQL database in SQL2005 Express

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Installing SQL 2005 Express

Nothing special needed here apart from one thing. During install SQL Express defaults to a "named instance" and you DO NOT WANT THIS. Make sure you set it to a "default instance". If you have installed already and are not sure check the service in your services control manager, it should say "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" if correct and if it has "EXPRESS" in there anywhere then you have a named instance. Uninstall and do it again if you see "EXPRESS" in there.

Add the databases
Ok, lots of people say copy mdf file to blah or use the "attach database" function with the mdf file and this is not right. The mdf file that could well have been messed with and not the proper backup.

Right-click Backup devices and select New backup device. Give the device a name and select the proper backup, the one without and extension (a .??? in it's name). The one below is the account database but there should be one for the gamedb and cabalcash. I can see no reason why the others are needed as i have not seen any evidence of them being actually used (please correct me if i am wrong there, but i don't use the others and don't have problems).

chumpywumpy - How to configure your SQL database in SQL2005 Express - RaGEZONE Forums

Now do the same for the cabalcash and gamedb (give them their own names though!).

Next create the database to restore to. Right-click Databases and click New Database. Call it "ACCOUNT" (or Gamedb or CabalCash, you need all 3) and click Ok.

Right-click the database and follow the menu into Tasks->Restore->Database.

chumpywumpy - How to configure your SQL database in SQL2005 Express - RaGEZONE Forums

Set it up like shown above (remember the different names) and click the button with the 3 dots on the right opposite "From device".

Select "Backup device" and NOT "File" from the backup media dropdown, click Add and select the backup device you attached earlier.

This looks promising if you look at the data at the bottom :D

Tick the tickbox shown and then click Options.

Make SURE you tick that tickbox or the restore will FAIL.

Do that for all 3 (ACCOUNT, Gamedb and CabalCash) all using the files with no . in the name and you have the proper databases and not some dump done by somebody else!

Configuring the server to accept remote connections

Now run the "SQL Server Surface Area Configuration" tool from the MSSQL folder inthe start menu and check it allows remote connections as shown below...

If you make any changes above you need to restart the service. You can do this on the panel above remote connections on the left of the panel.

Configuring permissions for your cabal userid

Now check your cabal userid is set up like this (the password policy option, default database and language don't matter)...

(if you have not set up a user yet when you right-click "Logins" and select New instead of right-clicking the "cabal" user and clicking Propertries. You will get to the same screen).

If it does then make sure the user has ALL of these tickboxes ticked to give it full access to the database...

If the cabal userid doesn't appear on the panel above then add it like this...

I'll add more later when i get time (and when i work out how to do the stupid linked server in express :/)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Bump. Mind updating this? I wanna see whether I did everything correctly ><

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I do have some bits to add but i need to install 2005 again (i use 2000). Which bits are you wanting to check?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
All lol. This could be a sticky once you complete it, since 2005's interface is totally different from 2000's.

Offtopic: I added you on MSN.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@chumpywumpy

you can link server in your sql 2005 by looking at server objects + rightclick + new linked servers.

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@jiahao_94 - I only did the guide as i knew people were struggling with 2005 (i use 2000, but i broke the vmware machine with it in and need to reinstall it to finish the guide. I will be on MSN later tonight as i have a small job to do first. I'll be on around 20:00-21:00 GMT.

@ChaosPower - Is that where it is? I feel stupid now lol. I was going to do it via command line as i've worked that method out instead, but your method will be better for the guide. Thanks!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
np dood. thanks for making this reference. and nice guide.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is a nice guide :)

I just wanna share my exp using SQL2005 64bit ( coz my OS vista ultimate 64bit )

1. the 1st thing is proper install of sql 2005 ( this is my order )
a. SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64 > SQLEXPR > SQLServer2005SP2-KB921896-
x64-ENU

next u can follow the above cabal database guide above

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
i simply doing it right and still waiting for other guide..

btw thnx for sharing bro...

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have a much better guide available in pdf format now. Check my sig ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello Chumpy

first i download ur database file on mediaserver

thats it just file type?

and why it can't add to backup on ur tutorial,
so im add new backup database with file type not backup type

whats different? TQ ur explanation

ps:sorry my bad english

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello chumpy ! I`ve done everything like you posted and i get error ingame when trying to create a character . Error says : Cannot proceed with this command due to unknown DB error.
Any ideas?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi all,

i have read and followed all the instruction, but i am using windows vista 64bits and I tried to install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and it shows error as the in this link...

anyone has any ideas to solve this such a problem?

somvannda
thanks

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

hi all,

i have read and followed all the instruction, but i am using windows vista 64bits and I tried to install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and it shows error as the in this link...

somvannda
thanks

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

hi all,

somvannda
thanks

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi all,

somvannda
thanks

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
hi chumpywumpy, can you help me with this error:

and yes i checked the tickbox

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The database uses codepage 936 (Chinese) and you need that installed on the computer to be able to restore the databases. For Win7 this is the "install/uninstall languages" on the "keyboard and languages" tab of the "region and languge" option in the control panel.

Downloads (you want simplefied Chinese):

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
installed simplefied Chinese and i still get the same error, il try restarting my pc, hope it works.

EDIT: restarted and i still get the error, i always get an sql error evreytime i try to make an cabal sv( used till now vista x64, and now win7 x64)...always at restoring, maybe if u know how someone can directly make the databases without restoring, please pm me, thanks for the help.

EDIT2:after looking on the internet for an disparate fix ive seen kreains topic on ragezone and im thinking to quit making this server.

Last edited:
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have Win7x64 and the files restored ok for me, though i had all the language packs installed already. It is possible to create the databases without a restore but it would take many queries and you would still run into the same problem, you can't create Chinese language tables without the right language pack.

You could try the other Chinese (Hong Kong) language pack but i'm 99% sure 936 is in the simplified one.

Try checking the registry keys mentioned here:

Mine looks like this:

Back